• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

advice for new collectors

186 posts in this topic

Ask away, I am up.

You obviously know CGC. You know PGX is badbadbad, right?

-slym

I saw a thread about some guy there stealing peoples' books and stuff.

I'm in Canada, so I keep hoping CGC will open a division in the north here.

so sorry been so long forgot about this thread....

well its best on ebay to be very careful, even here on the board there is a thread of questionable business practice of one seller. basically high end books let one gain the most money with the least amount of work....

i recommend if you find a high end book look at what the seller recently bought say last 6 mths on ebay to see if its a flip. if not there then look at books fron comiclink or comicconnect and again compare to recently sold items. most high end books have telltale signs, folds, scratches dots even the trim or spine ticks. compare look closely and decide if questionable... scammers are too lazy they like quick turnarounds...

also google search for thei ids some are notorious robojo or more recently

Seller User Id: all_things_comics

he looks to be the old cdpaolli but he is more consistantly marking books as restored...

just be aware ask lots of question use the internet as a good tool to search and be thorough.... once big money can be made sure enough scammers will follow!

cheers

I've started collecting two years ago and the best lessons I learned were.

#1. Be prepared to be ripped off once or twice. I got taken in by seemingly nice dealers who sold me comics way above their grade. Lucky I had shallow pockets so I only loss $80 after reselling them. So I never buy raw comics now.

#2. Fees, understand them well when dealing with auction houses. I remember buying a few books for what I thought were below GPA n FMV but was surprised at CL n Pedigrees buyers premium, Paypal forex fee and shipping. The deal was almost equivalent to simply paying local prices. Keep the grand total in mind when cateloging your comics.

#3. Buy within your means and don't get too caught up in the 9.8W craze. When I was calculating down the pennies how to pay off my CC I knew I had over indulged.

Check out your local estate sales. Do a search type in your city and estate sale. You will get a listing of your local estate sales and be there early. Usually comic book dealers are already there early in the morning. I found a whole box of Sgt. Fury and His Howling Commandos starting from #1-167 for $150.00. This was totally by total accident and in my neighborhood. In fact, I was leaving the house with the estate sale and turned quickly when I saw the long box. The box was sealed and it stated Sgt Fury in bad ink and $150.00 in pencil. The first 10 issues in very good category and then got better. Also, scout storage bins up for auction. Those long boxes are usually visible. Outta here.

Go to a comic book convention! Rummage through the bargain bins! This can be a lot of fun for the new collector.

I second this! As a recent newbie to collecting, this was and is so much fun to do. Attending local conventions allows you to jump right in. And the prices are reasonable, plus you can get a good look at the condition.

Go to a comic book convention! Rummage through the bargain bins! This can be a lot of fun for the new collector.

I second this! As a recent newbie to collecting, this was and is so much fun to do. Attending local conventions allows you to jump right in. And the prices are reasonable, plus you can get a good look at the condition.

Sometimes you can find serious gold in those dollar or 50 cent bins too. I've pulled a handful of books out of those bins that were modern keys in great shape. Plus, yeah.. it's fun (if tedious sometimes) to flip through 40 long boxes full of out-of-order comics in hopes of finding something needed.

purchase books unslabbed from reputable dealers as the prices are usually much more "beginner friendly". Purchase Overstreet Guide to Grading. Purchase supplies from either Bill Cole or E Gerber. Read up on how to store your comics. Don't buy stuff you know nothing about. If something seems to good to be true, it usually is. Check for Marvel Value stamps on issues that contain them (Hulk 181).

Brian

Overstreet Guide to Grading is undoubtedly the single most important book I bought as a (beginning/&) collector... Amazing resource to truly understand grading, re. which 90% of people don't have a clue and, so, resort to a guess on grade from how pretty they think it looks and counting color breaks on the spine.

Also, find the fun.

Don't rip your comics or mommy will kill ya smile.gifcool.gifblush.gif

Especially don't let your mother-in-law rip a cover of Action Comics #1 should you be so lucky to find a copy which was used as insulation in the wall of a house you're refurbishing, after finding yourself in a disbelief-driven tug-of-war with the found treasure. And, don't play tug-of-war with the comics, in general, a bad idea! doh!

In general I don't like the idea of CGC grading modern books as I consider them common in high grade. There are lots of people building high grade CGC modern sets who would disagree with me.

As a general rule it doesn't make sense to pay for grading on a book that will be worth less than the cost of grading. The newer the book the higher the grade needed to justify the cost.

lol, planning on slabbing a modern worth probably less than $5. I really, really, really like the variant cover. Comic looks NM to me. Will see if CGC concurs. Would've bought a graded copy (at a reasonable price) to save myself the hassle but alas, I couldn't find any. :P

I normally wouldn't slab since I like being able to read my comics but in this case, I want to have it preserved. I've got a copy of the regular cover for reading anyway. :)

Any packaging/shipping tips for submitting to CGC?

As a relative "newbie," a great way to start a collection full of enjoyables is to stay within the modern/copper age for the first little bit unless you absolutely MUST have an older book.

Why, do you ask? Apart from a few noted examples, most collectible books in this range are under $200 slabbed 9.0+ (X-men 135, 136 pop to mind). As well, books should be easier to find as this is the age when comic book sales shot through the roof and supply is out there. Again, however, there are noted examples of rarity (misprints, valuable variant covers, 1-in-1000 variants, etc).

I have found that staying newer than 1980 has made my hobby eminently affordable

lol, agree. I'm grateful the stuff I like reading are moderns so it's been relatively affordable. Most I've paid for a single issue is $20 with shipping. Majority of my purchases is at cover price or less. :)

I've read a few GA/SA keys on Marvel Unlimited and thus far, I haven't felt the need to purchase single issues at current market price ($400+). Maybe if I ever get to the point where I'm making $1 million a year (inflation-adjusted) but that's highly unlikely.

On 7/14/2002 at 2:16 PM, aardvark88 said:

Dan,

Back in 1985, u would have had to deliver a heck of a lot of newspapers to come up w/ $1,500 for FF #1 or say $1k for ASM #1 vf-. Else trade in your run of X-men 94 up, Hulk 181, laugh.gif & set of Howard Duck to come up w/ the scratch.

On 7/14/2002 at 2:16 PM, aardvark88 said:

Dan,

Back in 1985, u would have had to deliver a heck of a lot of newspapers to come up w/ $1,500 for FF #1 or say $1k for ASM #1 vf-. Else trade in your run of X-men 94 up, Hulk 181, laugh.gif & set of Howard Duck to come up w/ the scratch.

On 6/24/2002 at 12:56 PM, AlexH said:

- Always start by purchasing books that you enjoy (or think you would like) reading.

- Don't start collecting to try and make money

- Don't make a large purchase unless you are well informed about the book

- Don't let someone tell you what is good to read, unless of course you value their opinion.

I'm sure I'll come up with some later, but here is a start...

That's an amazing start man...Thank you

Much to the chagrin of everyone in my life,I started collecting in February of this year,2019.

I can see this thread was started 17 years ago,pretty cool how far the comic universe...er multiverse has come.