• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the New Mutants 98 bubble burst?
1 1

1,121 posts in this topic

The variant era has affected our industry in more ways than you can think.

Long gone are the days of having a book turn key based on significance to storyline or character appearance. A book is now hotter because it has a cool looking limited edition variant attached to it.

But thats not all. Today, most commercial books turn key because of storyline significance are more likely to be distributed accompanied by such a limited edition variant.

Think about this for a second.

Imagine an IH181, ASM129, a NM98 published alongside a limited edition variant.

How would have that affected those books popularity?

Would it make the variants more costly than they are today? or would it make the regular editions less relevant, like 2nd prints?

Either way, the variant era has changed the modern market forever, and short of having some sort of a HUGE correction, I cant imagine it going back to what it was

Yes, the Modern market is now completely dominated by variants and multiple covers and that is the reason why I am 100% gone from buying any new books.

I have absolutely zero interest in picking up a book that has something like 50 different covers, let alone all of the individual store covers that are now also being done.

The new comic book market is completely based upon gimmicks and multiple times worse than what took place in the early 90's when the entire industry almost crashed by the time it was all said and done. It is obvious that the comic book publishers have not learned from their past mistakes. doh!

There are readable stories being published now, some of them even behind variant covers. The 90s was a wasteland.

Spawn

Pitt

Maxx

Savage Dragon

Bloodlines

Fatal Attractions

Wolverine : Bloodhungry

Age of Apocalypse

Aliens vs Predator

Aliens : Hive

Predator : Race War

Maximum Carnage

Infinity Gauntlet

Generation X

Aliens : Newts Tale

No. Not a thing worth reading there

On 10/22/2016 at 11:01 PM, MetalPSI™ said:

Spawn

Pitt

Maxx

Savage Dragon

Bloodlines

Fatal Attractions

Wolverine : Bloodhungry

Age of Apocalypse

Aliens vs Predator

Aliens : Hive

Predator : Race War

Maximum Carnage

Infinity Gauntlet

Generation X

Aliens : Newts Tale

No. Not a thing worth reading there

I wish someone would bring back Keown and Pitt. 

5 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I wish someone would bring back Keown and Pitt. 

You and me both. That was a refreshing look on the whole superhero/fantasy genre thing going on in the 90's. The anti-hero, meets kickass

I would bet that NYX 3/X23 price will settle down in the 9.6/9.8 range a smidge and then steadily climb and in several years to be up around 1500$+ in 9.8 when the next wolverine or X men movie with her in it shows up. So for those of you nay saying the book (9.8) at the 700-800$ price tag, wait till it hits about 650-700$ then watch it climb back up. Marvel knows they have a good character and will promote her and feature her. That book's bubble will not pop and given a much lower production than a NM 98, it will climb. On top of that, the LCS chain where i live cant keep a raw one on the shelf, selling them for 10-20% over ebay sales when they get them in (which is rare).

One thing that I didn't see factored in here was pressing. I'm sure more than a few NM98 9.4-9.6 got pressed up and the number of 9.8's likely took a small upswing from that as well, but thats just my 2 cents. I know that I personally had well over 30+ 9.4 copies and none were pressed and could easily have been upgraded and I'm just one collector.

And if anyones curious why I had 30+ graded copies. I got lucky. A LCS changed to a watch repair store and sold baseball cards. The husband who passed away  had sold comics and the wife wanted the backstock out of her garage. She brought in unopened diamond boxes and one included NM 98's. Needless to say, I bought every copy. At the time it was only a 10$ book and she was selling me them for cover price since I bought them all. The deadpool movie got announced approximately 1-2 months after this happened and at the time was a <relatively> poor army soldier - I nearly crapped my pants. Funny thing is, for straight from the diamond box to CGC essentially, I only had 5x 9.6's and 3 x 9.8's of the 40-50 I submitted. The rest were 9.4 with 1 x 9.2 and 1 x 9.0 (nothing graded lower). I traded every 9.4 copy I owned when the book hit 125$ in 9.4 - all for silver age books. Best Silver age book I got in trade... X-Men 4 cgc 9.0. That day was a defining moment in my collecting because it allowed me to start looking for and gave me a chance to get books I wanted, but I couldn't previously afford.

21 hours ago, TheUrologist1 said:

At the time it was only a 10$ book and she was selling me them for cover price since I bought them all. The deadpool movie got announced approximately 1-2 months after this happened

hm

Also, you might want to go here if you haven't already done so.

On 3/28/2017 at 3:32 PM, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

Awesome first post and cool story for NM98. I agree 100% about X23. With a much lower print run it has a lot of potential. I just regret selling my extra 9.6, but that was before the movie news broke.

Does anybody have an idea as to what percentage the print run for NYX 3 would be in relationship to the print run for NM 98?  hm

Just asking since I believe I might just have an uber HG copy of NYX 3 in my collection somewhere, if I remember correctly.  :wishluck:

On 3/28/2017 at 7:01 PM, ThothAmon said:
On 3/25/2017 at 11:34 AM, Sqeggs said:

I haven't been paying attention.  Did it burst? :)

I believe we need to ask Boston Corbett and check to see how he is doing with his CGC 9.9 graded copy of NM 98.  :tonofbricks:   lol

It looks like he now has lots of other copies in similar or higher grade to keep him company.  :devil:

Edited by lou_fine

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Does anybody have an idea as to what percentage the print run for NYX 3 would be in relationship to the print run for NM 98?  hm

Just asking since I believe I might just have an uber HG copy of NYX 3 in my collection somewhere, if I remember correctly.  :wishluck:

The print run for NM 98 was very large around 300k, the reported run of NYX 3 was about 45k.