• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monthly Sales Figures

665 posts in this topic

X-men was enjoyable to me from IH 181, GS 1, and 94 through Operation Zero Tolerance through Morrison's New X-men. These days, its lost a lot. Marvel seems more concerned with agendas than old fans. I hold no ill will towards them, they are making the moves that they think will move them forward. I just don't buy much of the stuff that they put out these days. 2c

X-men was enjoyable to me from IH 181, GS 1, and 94 through Operation Zero Tolerance through Morrison's New X-men. These days, its lost a lot. Marvel seems more concerned with agendas than old fans. I hold no ill will towards them, they are making the moves that they think will move them forward. I just don't buy much of the stuff that they put out these days. 2c

Because these new books stink right? Exactly why I don't support this new drekk. The only new moves they are making is ting on the team that got them where they are now IMO.

Edited by natevegas

I even enjoyed X Men when I got back into collecting with the first year or so of Bendis' run on Uncanny and All New. This most recent run of Extraordinary was okay, and Uncanny was decent... but I'm honestly kind of upset that Cyclops is dead, and the news of that more or less killed my interest in the franchise. Cyclops has always been one of my favorite comic characters, and it's tough to see him just so flagrantly tossed aside.

Who would have thought an ordinary issue of Superman would outsell a normal issue of Spider-Man?

Happened all the time in 1986-1987, and again in 1993.

Plus, it happened every year from 1963-1971.

I can see how the silver age books may have still been in Superman's favour until Spidey took off although Spidey was best between 1-100 for originality. 1993 was likely the death of Superman. However I can't see what happened in 86-87. Superman I and II were '78 and '80.

Until they bring him back in like 2 years.

But he is not 100% dead right now. For him they have the loophole like Jane Grey that the younger versions are now fully integrated into modern continuity. So the "original" older Cyclops is dead. The younger time traveled one is still alive. Wow that sounds like dreck as a write it, but there you have it.

Marvel biggest issue seems to be they are attempting to replace the X-Men with the Inhumans. The have left the X-Men books devoid of the more popular characters, who have been shuffled off to other books (like Rogue, Beast, etc.). Leaving us with new less well known and frankly poorer characters. Thus severing the history to the books we grew up with. X-Men was Marvel's cash cow for 30 plus years, but because of current licensing in movies and TV, they have basically abandoned them. No wonder there overall sales have tanked.

List of why Marvel books are loosing readership, My opin

Rehashing the same old story lines.

Completely changing the characters we grew up reading.

Attempting to sell books based on events rather than good story.

Forcing readers to buy multiple books just to follow a story line

Basically ignoring what made them successful to start with,

providing their customer with a well written story based on characters we love

Until they bring him back in like 2 years.

But he is not 100% dead right now. For him they have the loophole like Jane Grey that the younger versions are now fully integrated into modern continuity. So the "original" older Cyclops is dead. The younger time traveled one is still alive. Wow that sounds like dreck as a write it, but there you have it.

Marvel biggest issue seems to be they are attempting to replace the X-Men with the Inhumans. The have left the X-Men books devoid of the more popular characters, who have been shuffled off to other books (like Rogue, Beast, etc.). Leaving us with new less well known and frankly poorer characters. Thus severing the history to the books we grew up with. X-Men was Marvel's cash cow for 30 plus years, but because of current licensing in movies and TV, they have basically abandoned them. No wonder there overall sales have tanked.

If the Inhumans did not suck so badly they might be able to pull it off..............

I can see the new Marvel slogan now: "The house of ideas - replacing weak mutants with even weaker Inhumans characters since 2013....." lol

1 Big Trouble in Little China/Escape From New York 1† $3.99 Boom 421,625

Items marked with a dagger [†] include between 300,000 and 400,000 copies shipped to Loot Crate.

2 Champions 1 $4.99 Marvel 328,165

Those 1:1000's don't seem as "rare" anymore.

4 Dark Knight III Master Race 6 $5.99 DC 133,642

Surprised this is over 100k with the delays and high cover price.

1 Big Trouble in Little China/Escape From New York 1† $3.99 Boom 421,625

Items marked with a dagger [†] include between 300,000 and 400,000 copies shipped to Loot Crate.

that 421000 figure seems fishy. My LCS didnt sell but a few.

Between 300,000 - 400,000 went to Loot Crate so somewhere between 21,625 - 121,625 went to LCS, etc. Lower end of the scale seems about right.

A little surprising a cult movie from years gone by still commands a large #1. I wonder if anything brand new will ever get a large kick off. Marvel slightly edged D.C. In market share. Batman and AS Batman are still popular. JL is not bad either.

I will read the digital volumes when they come out. They weren't interesting enough to buy the books for me.

November 2016

Sales were down pretty big but still up 1% for the year overall. Rebirth pulled the fat out of the fire...again. Marvel had 1 issue #0 and 5 issue #1's in the top 18 but none busted 100,000 copies.

Ghost Rider and Thanos were at 57,000+ and 54,000+ respectively.

The Walking Dead is on issue #160 and was in the top 10. This is how it should be imo. Story driven books driving sales. Only 3 titles outsold TWD that weren't issue #1's. Batman, All-star Batman, and Civil War II.

Saga sold under 45,000 copies. This is surprising and down over 25% from it's peak. Having said that, its still in the top 52. Not too shabby for an Image book.

Mother Panic was at over 40,000 copies and I didn't hear a peep about it.

Seven to Eternity is getting big hype but its sales are at 27,000+ on issue #3. By comparison, East of West didn't drop that low until issue #12. Then again, Monstress sales have dropped from 36,000 for issue #1 to 18,000+ for issue #8.

Outcast is selling under 20,000 copies. Its a good book and the rating on IMDB and Rotten tomatoes are both relatively high at 7.7 and 8.1 out of 10 overall. It appears that demons can't compete with zombies. lol

Black Hammer came in just under 13,000 books while Brigg's Land is somewhere around 6,600. That is just WAY too low for a book of this quality. If I was pinned down and forced to pick the next non big 2 breakout book, I'd lean toward BL.

The last issue of Sheriff of Babylon was at 5241. I hear lots of great stuff about this book and intend to pick up the TPB.

A few final thoughts. Unbeatable Squirrel Girl and Hellcat are both hovering around 12,000 and 9,000 copies. Seems low for Marvel or DC and I'm curious. Who is the target audience for these books ? When I first read USG, I thought it was funny but by issue 3 or 4, not much new. Is this just protecting IP for their movie and TV shows ?

Batman #1 Director's Cut outsold over 300 other issues released in November. Batman is THE character in comic sales as of today.

Edited by The Authority