• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Capullo selling his Batman artwork online
1 1

296 posts in this topic

Well, at least Greg's pricing strategy is working out for someone. He goes full on psycho with his primary prices and the secondary market follows lol

I kind of expect it'll clear 15-20k somehow even though none of his art has ever come close at auction.

You know, i've been ragging on greg about his pricing but looking at some modern (last 4 or 5 years) era art, I see reps have (at least) doubled prices on many less popular artists new work over the last 6 months or year. I don't want to name names but Artists who have work sitting at 2500 a cover have newer no more desirable work listed at 4-5k now. If the work isn't selling at 2500 what makes people think 5k will be the trick? art that didn't sell at 5k are now listing 10k.

If this trend continues this hobby has officially jumped the shark, imo.

The piece stalled at $8k. I don't think it Will clear $15K. Could become the auction bargain.

I kind of expect it'll clear 15-20k somehow even though none of his art has ever come close at auction.

You know, i've been ragging on greg about his pricing but looking at some modern (last 4 or 5 years) era art, I see reps have (at least) doubled prices on many less popular artists new work over the last 6 months or year. I don't want to name names but Artists who have work sitting at 2500 a cover have newer no more desirable work listed at 4-5k now. If the work isn't selling at 2500 what makes people think 5k will be the trick? art that didn't sell at 5k are now listing 10k.

If this trend continues this hobby has officially jumped the shark, imo.

The piece stalled at $8k. I don't think it Will clear $15K. Could become the auction bargain.

The 15k comment was a follow up toward the sudden price jump in Spawn covers that have been sitting idle at 4-8k for years to match the 20-50k prices Greg has listed.

8k seems on the high end of reasonable for this.

Greg has posted some new pieces on his website at capulloart.net and has lowered pricing on some previously posted pieces.

Does anyone have any insight as to who inked Greg's pencils on his run of Spawn? Although early issues (16-20) were clearly marked as Dan Panosian and Art Thibert, later issues seem to have had a variety of inkers. Even within the same issue, I've heard some people say that inkers varied from Todd McFarlane to others. If anyone has any information about this, it'd be greatly appreciated!

Just read the 4th Batman Trade (Year Zero). Liked it better than the others and enjoyed the art more than I did in the previous trades. That said, I'd spend my money elsewhere. Nice stuff, but too rich for my blood. So many other things I'd buy with that kind of scratch.

The "Haunt" pages are much more reasonably priced.

Lowered prices are only on Haunt + Spawn; not Batman. I've found they've actually increased Batman prices since I first saw the list -_-

I know they sold a number of Spawn pieces but haven't yet updated the site, oddly. The 54 cover is inked by McFarlane. Every new Spawn piece there credits McFarlane as inker, but I'm not sure if that's correct, having done a bit of research...Best to clarify with them.

Curious if this means Danny will be allowed to sell his covers through ArtistsChoice for under 30K now, given Greg's $4-8K covers.

Haunt prices are reasonable, but I believe they're only half the set. If I'm not mistaken, Glapion has his own inks for those which don't seem to be included in the sale.

Lowered prices are only on Haunt + Spawn; not Batman. I've found they've actually increased Batman prices since I first saw the list -_-

I know they sold a number of Spawn pieces but haven't yet updated the site, oddly. The 54 cover is inked by McFarlane. Every new Spawn piece there credits McFarlane as inker, but I'm not sure if that's correct, having done a bit of research...Best to clarify with them.

Curious if this means Danny will be allowed to sell his covers through ArtistsChoice for under 30K now, given Greg's $4-8K covers.

Haunt prices are reasonable, but I believe they're only half the set. If I'm not mistaken, Glapion has his own inks for those which don't seem to be included in the sale.

Quite a few of the later covers he listed are inked by Todd.

Even the all-Capullo covers really don't seem that overpriced compared to what other early 90s art has been selling for. #20 isn't the best, but $4K seems like a fair deal.

Greg has posted some new pieces on his website at capulloart.net and has lowered pricing on some previously posted pieces.

Does anyone have any insight as to who inked Greg's pencils on his run of Spawn? Although early issues (16-20) were clearly marked as Dan Panosian and Art Thibert, later issues seem to have had a variety of inkers. Even within the same issue, I've heard some people say that inkers varied from Todd McFarlane to others. If anyone has any information about this, it'd be greatly appreciated!

Well, Capullo's run on Spawn lasted for a very long time. There were several inkers - mostly McFarlane and Danny Miki.

So, I saw a recent Capullo Tweet that stated that he sold the Batman #1 (Court of Owls/reboot) cover for the full $50K asking price (IIRC, it was implied as opposed to the number actually stated), and that he was torn up parting with it.  I haven't looked since, but I heard he took the Tweet down (not sure if there was more than one, but I only saw one), perhaps because I heard that, from the metadata embedded in the Tweet, you could identify the buyer (not that anyone paying attention would come up with a shortlist of more than 1 person lol ).  

Any thoughts on the sale and the potential impact on other Modern covers?  I'm hearing that other artists are already jacking up prices as a result of Capullo Tweeting about his sale. :popcorn: 

29 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

So, I saw a recent Capullo Tweet that stated that he sold the Batman #1 (Court of Owls/reboot) cover for the full $50K asking price (IIRC, it was implied as opposed to the number actually stated), and that he was torn up parting with it.  I haven't looked since, but I heard he took the Tweet down (not sure if there was more than one, but I only saw one), perhaps because I heard that, from the metadata embedded in the Tweet, you could identify the buyer (not that anyone paying attention would come up with a shortlist of more than 1 person lol ).  

Any thoughts on the sale and the potential impact on other Modern covers?  I'm hearing that other artists are already jacking up prices as a result of Capullo Tweeting about his sale. :popcorn: 

Personally, I've raised the prices on my daughter's acrylics by 500% upon hearing this news. 

I saw the tweet that night and I saw the buyer.(It was literally 1 type and 1 tap to see who it was.)

I'm sure many artists/reps will use that sale and some of the Capullo prices to justify higher asking prices, but the sale has no actual impact IMO to their prices. There will just be more overpriced pieces within still wet collecting more dust than now.