• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reading X-Men #1-544?
1 1

55 posts in this topic

I was hoping for some advice for working on my Uncanny X-Men collection. I would like to (re)read the original series starting in early 2017 or as much of it as I can get my hands on.

I would like to know if I could get some advice on what the best way to complete the series would be? Actually I am looking for the cheapest method.

I am unaware of a single collection of the works in one volume. Are there a trade paperback versions broken up ? I am vaguely familiar with being able to read it electronically but having them in hand would be preferred.

I currently have issues #200-544 in floppy copy plus about 20 or so issues from before that. Therefore I would just be looking for the first 200 issues or so. At this time I am not looking to buy the originals. I would not have the time to put that part of the collection together between now and then anyway.

I would definitely appreciate any information that people here would be willing to share. Thank you.

Maybe try to find the "Masterworks" reprint editions? The "X-Men" titled books start with vol. 1 and reprints #1-10, vol. 2 reprints #11-21, vol. 3 reprints #22-31, etc. The "Uncanny X-Men" titled Masterworks books start with vol. 1 and reprint #94-100 plus GSX #1, vol. 2 reprints #101-110, and so on.

Maybe try to find the "Masterworks" reprint editions? The "X-Men" titled books start with vol. 1 and reprints #1-10, vol. 2 reprints #11-21, vol. 3 reprints #22-31, etc. The "Uncanny X-Men" titled Masterworks books start with vol. 1 and reprint #94-100 plus GSX #1, vol. 2 reprints #101-110, and so on.

I have heard of the MasterWorks" collection but I was under the impression it was not all inclusive. I have also seen them to be rather pricey. I tried wiKi but unlike alot of other comic titles it is really not giving me much information on where to find consecutive reprints.

MW would be the most desirable thing I can find at this point.

Does anyone know what would be the best electronic source? Or are there multiple options?

Thanks.

Also remember issues 67-93 were reprints so you can skip those.

Yes. Although I have seen from research that not every issue was a consecutive reprint of every issue.

Marvel was selective in those "original reprints".

I have heard of the MasterWorks" collection but I was under the impression it was not all inclusive. I have also seen them to be rather pricey. I tried wiKi but unlike alot of other comic titles it is really not giving me much information on where to find consecutive reprints.

Does anyone know what would be the best electronic source? Or are there multiple options?

Thanks.

I'm not understanding what you're referring to in saying "not all inclusive". There's no LOC's, Bullpen Bulletins, etc., but all the story pages and covers are present. Try this link:

Marvel Masterworks Library

Look into the Marvel Unlimited site for digital options.

Thanks.

I'm not understanding what you're referring to in saying "not all inclusive". There's no LOC's, Bullpen Bulletins, etc., but all the story pages and covers are present. Try this link:

Marvel Masterworks Library

Look into the Marvel Unlimited site for digital options.

What I meant is I was not certain that it offered every single issue consecutively. Not terribly concerned with the letter column or Bullpen .lol I thought MMW only reprinted select runs, key issues etc. Apparently not. It looks like it will be possible to get every issue I need that way.

I have been trying to further track down the Marvel MasterWorks since you first mentioned it and although I am coming up with quite a few collections it is hit or miss. Some of the prices are all over the place.

I have however put together complete runs for reading in the past and I am aware that quite a bit of leg work can be involved. I know that you do not typically walk into one store lay down some cash and walk out with all 500 issues under your arm.

Thanks.

Thanks.

They go in and out of print. I put together the original run with an Epic collection and Masterworks and just got the Omnibus starting with GSX 1 / 94. You can also get some of the 94 issues on with Classic X-Men issues pretty cheap but there are alterations to those stories. Omnibus' can be annoying to read due the size. I prefer Masterworks due to this. I refuse to do electronic issues.

Thanks.

They go in and out of print. I put together the original run with an Epic collection and Masterworks and just got the Omnibus starting with GSX 1 / 94. You can also get some of the 94 issues on with Classic X-Men issues pretty cheap but there are alterations to those stories. Omnibus' can be annoying to read due the size. I prefer Masterworks due to this. I refuse to do electronic issues.

Ahh yes, Classic X-men. I had forgotten about that as an option. Good thinking.

I am not totally against reading it electronically. The problem I have is thus: I do not own a lap top. So that means sitting up in my chair at my desk through an entire 200 issue run. I am not aghast at the notion however it is somewhat foreign and would take some getting used to.

But I gotta do what I gotta do.

Thanks.

Thanks.

Ahh yes, Classic X-men. I had forgotten about that as an option. Good thinking.

I am not totally against reading it electronically. The problem I have is thus: I do not own a lap top. So that means sitting up in my chair at my desk through an entire 200 issue run. I am not aghast at the notion however it is somewhat foreign and would take some getting used to.

But I gotta do what I gotta do.

Thanks.

Do you have a smart phone? I do most of my reading on my iphone. It takes a little getting used to scrolling through 1 panel at a time and sometimes you do have to zoom in a little if there is a lot going on in a larger panel but once you get used to it it's not bad at all. This is coming from someone who was saying less than a year ago I'd never go digital.

Plus, I always have my phone on me so anytime I have a little spare time I can do a little reading.

Edited by techtre2003

thats a long read :)

I figure that will be my annual comic reading for the year of 2017. With the size of the read I tend to plan ahead as far in advance as I can.

I read about 400 issues of Hulk and GI Joe total this year which I started culling in July of 2015. It was not too tough but with all the other reading I do that is about my limit.

Thank you to anyone who was kind enough to offer information for my quest. If you do not see me for another year , you'll know where I am . lol

One last question to anyone who might still be listening:

I have never seen a 'X-Men Thread' on the boards here and I am wondering why? I mean there is a GI Joe thead, a Transformers thread, Fantastic Four, and even a War Comics thread etc.etc. I think Uncanny X-Men is at least as awesome as any of those titles right? I have searched high and low. Am I just not seeing it?

The only reason I would suppose is perhaps due to there being so much crossover material...But still.

Giant X-Men #1, then X-Men 94 and on to about 145 were good. They dwindled in storyline to about 180 and that's where I left off. I remember liking the series when Jim Lee took over the art but the storyline was not very coherent.

Some early X-men were really good. Particularly the Juggernaut stories and the Mimic.

Giant X-Men #1, then X-Men 94 and on to about 145 were good. They dwindled in storyline to about 180 and that's where I left off. I remember liking the series when Jim Lee took over the art but the storyline was not very coherent.

Some early X-men were really good. Particularly the Juggernaut stories and the Mimic.

Yes, the silver age book had some really good stories. Plus I really enjoyed the Dark Phoenix saga.