• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thor and the rarity factor

63 posts in this topic

Trivia. Some of those issues of Thor in the #140 - 180 range, while not overly valuable, are ultra scarce in the top grade. Examples:

#143 - 1st app. Enchanters Three : 2 in 9.8

#165 - 2nd app. Him : 6 in 9.8

#168 - Origin Galactus : 2 in 9.8

Interesting. Another of those titles that obviously didn't attract careful collectors and got mauled at the news stands. That said, some of the Class of 68 such as Nick Fury #1 have over 100 in the 9.8 range. I don't believe after 50+ years there are any unslabbed freaks of nature out there, so sadly this is the quota for said issues.

Thor 126 only has 2 in 9.8. Best I ever did was a 9.6.

Exactly. Ultra rare. At least it is possible with patience and $ to acquire one. Some, like Fantastic Four #51, simply don't exist in 9.8. Even the later Marvel Spotlight #2 (1st Werewolf By Night) only reaches 9.6. Thor, however, seems have the lowest number of top tier grades across the whole run.

I don't believe after 50+ years there are any unslabbed freaks of nature out there, so sadly this is the quota for said issues.

You really need to read the FF 52 thread.

And you may also want to read the GL 76 thread in the BA forum.

Yes, there are some post-1965 issues that are relatively scarce in 9.8, but they never turn out to be all that scarce once there is some real financial incentive for more copies to appear.

Edited by tth2

^ Good point, I got my first Overstreet guide in a few years (my last edition was 41, and just go the 44). I compared a few titles between guides to see whether there was any increase from 2013 to 2016 guides.

Only checked three titles (so far) and while ASM and FF saw increases (silver, and early bronze maybe), I noticed Thor was flat (no change in past few years).

^ Good point, I got my first Overstreet guide in a few years (my last edition was 41, and just go the 44). I compared a few titles between guides to see whether there was any increase from 2013 to 2016 guides.

Only checked three titles (so far) and while ASM and FF saw increases (silver, and early bronze maybe), I noticed Thor was flat (no change in past few years).

Yes, very little of note in Thor. Plenty of Asgardian sagas but no issues with significant moments for Marvel continuity.

Yes, very little of note in Thor. Plenty of Asgardian sagas but no issues with significant moments for Marvel continuity.

Yeah, but it's the cheapest high grade 60's Marvel run you can put together, probably.

Yeah, but it's the cheapest high grade 60's Marvel run you can put together, probably.

No, there are several others. Mighty Marvel Western, Captain Savage, Doctor Strange, Fantasy Masterpieces, etc.

I should know. I won the CGC award for Marvel SA First Issues (1965-1969). Most of the books in the current #1 registry spot used to belong to me.

No, there are several others. Mighty Marvel Western, Captain Savage, Doctor Strange, Fantasy Masterpieces, etc.

I should know. I won the CGC award for Marvel SA First Issues (1965-1969). Most of the books in the current #1 registry spot used to belong to me.

Trust me, this run is neither easy nor cheap to assemble in the 9.4 range.

Trust me, this run is neither easy nor cheap to assemble in the 9.4 range.

Nice set. (thumbs u Wish I still had my 169 9.8 :( Sold it for a song, before its value exploded.

I don't believe after 50+ years there are any unslabbed freaks of nature out there, so sadly this is the quota for said issues.

Yes, there are some post-1965 issues that are relatively scarce in 9.8, but they never turn out to be all that scarce once there is some real financial incentive for more copies to appear.

Change the 'never' to 'rarely' and I would agree with you. Given that 9.6 copies of FF #51 go for over $5000, it's not for lack of financial incentive that there are no 9.8 slabbed copies after 17 years of CGC being in business - I believe a 9.8 copy would likely fetch $20,000 or more. It's not the only outlier comic, either, as others have pointed out already. Plus, there's more than a handful of early Bronze Age Marvels that have never been graded at 9.8.

Trivia. Some of those issues of Thor in the #140 - 180 range, while not overly valuable, are ultra scarce in the top grade. Examples:

Interesting. Another of those titles that obviously didn't attract careful collectors and got mauled at the news stands. That said, some of the Class of 68 such as Nick Fury #1 have over 100 in the 9.8 range. I don't believe after 50+ years there are any unslabbed freaks of nature out there, so sadly this is the quota for said issues.

I am an unslabbed freak of nature. I have many of the class of 68 #1s raw that would be 9.8 contenders,including the Nick Fury #1. I just don't care to slab them.

There are other mid to late SA Thor issues scarce in 9.8.

128...one copy

129...zero

133...one

136...zero

138...one

150...one

157...one

167...one

:acclaim: sold it to Doug

I didn't realize until checking the census how tough this book was above NM, but am aware of how often the cover is miswrapped front-to-back.

Thor157sale.jpg

I am an unslabbed freak of nature. I have many of the class of 68 #1s raw that would be 9.8 contenders,including the Nick Fury #1. I just don't care to slab them.

.... and this, my friend, is why there is still hope for you :baiting: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

... this is so true...... one good analysis to perform is to study the Mile High Comics sales lists when they began rolling out the Mile High II "pedigree"..... and to take note of which issues were present...... many of the late 60's ultra high grade books come from that hoard. Another similar source of data would be the wholesale lists that Koch and Dolgoff were advertising shortly after the acquisition of the Robert Bell warehouse..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

...for example, when Ego hits the screen, expect to see a few more 9.8's of Thor 133 (...one of my favorite comics :cloud9: )

.... and in regards to 154-157...... :cloud9::cloud9: ...I remember buying them off the stands as a very young man..... those covers totally roasted my mind :o