• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Mile High a reference to their prices?
5 5

648 posts in this topic

I received an email today from Mile High Comics. In the email, Chuck told me about his awesome "code word" that would allow me to take 60% off. Sounds like a great deal. and so I went over to his site looking to see if he had any early Actions. Unfortunately the oldest one I found was #193. What surprised me, however, was his prices on a number of low grade SA Actions. I thought something must be wrong with my eyes. How could Chuck be charging these prices and stay in business. I know he must have a business model that works, as he has been in business for a long time, however, I guess I just don't understand it. Even with 60% off, I cannot imagine anyone paying these prices for readily available SA books in low grade.

Here are a few examples...

Action Comics #244

Prices at Mile High

Action #244 in Fair - $123 - Discounted by 60% is now $49.20

Action #244 in Good - $245 - With 60% off it is now $98.00

I then jumped over to My Comic Shop (MCS) to see if they had this same book.

Action #244 in Fair - $21.00

Action #244 in Good Minus (1.8) - $34.00

I then jumped over to Metropolis

Action #244 in G+ (2.5) - $38.50

Action #244 in G++ (2.75) - $43.00

Action #244 in G/VG (3.0) - $43.50

Action Comics #246

Mile High - Fair - $123 minus 60% or $49.20

Mile High - Good - $245 minus 60% or $98.00

MCS - Fair/Good - $29.50

Metro - Good (2.0) - $29.75

Action Comics #249

Mile High - VG - $441 minus 60% or $176.40

MCS - G/VG - $35.50

Metro - G/VG (3.0) - $43.50

Metro - VG/F (5.0) - $105

Action Comics #250

Mile High - Good - $240 minus 60% or $96

MCS - Good (2.0) - $44.50 plus 3% or $45.84

MCS - Good+ (2.5) - $40.00 plus 3% or $41.20

MCS - GD/VG (3.0) - $47.50

Metro - Good (2.0) - $29.50

I am NOT saying that each of these establishments grades comics exactly the same. In fact I would argue that they do not, however, that is another topic altogether.

I just do not understand how a place that charges what IMO is way over FMV on readily available books, can stay in business. Does he not want to sell these books? Perhaps, he makes his money on newer books and these are ones he would rather keep. I don't know. Perhaps he figures "there is a sucker born every minute" and if he can find one, he can make a lot of money on a few books instead of having to sell lots of books on lower margin. Again, I don't know.

I am not putting down Mile High. I believe Chuck and anyone else has the absolute right to charge whatever they want for their property. It does not matter to me, as I am not in the market for any of the above listed books anyway. I guess I am just curious about the business model.

Perhaps another board member could enlighten me. Are there board members out there who buy from Mile High regularly? Are they buying any SA books? Am I missing something??

You're not missing anything. Mile High's prices, grading, and customer service have all been frequently discussed here over the years. I'd be surprised if anyone on the boards would choose to defend them.

MCS has many fans here. And deservedly so.

You're not missing anything. Mile High's prices, grading, and customer service have all been frequently discussed here over the years. I'd be surprised if anyone on the boards would choose to defend them.

MCS has many fans here. And deservedly so.

I agree with you regarding MCS (at least as a buyer - as I have never sold them any books). They seem very strict in their grading and I have never been dissatisfied with any book I have purchased from them. At one point I had a "problem" with their customer service, however, Conan stepped up and resolved things. I give them (thumbs u

I'll defend Chucks right to price his books any way . His bat, his ball. I will never buy from him, nor send anyone there, but who are we to tell him what to charge.

I agree 100%.

He has every right to charge what he wants.

This is America and I am a firm believer in the free market system.

I am just curious how he stays in business.

Hoping someone had some insight.

I'll defend Chucks right to price his books any way . His bat, his ball. I will never buy from him, nor send anyone there, but who are we to tell him what to charge.

I agree 100%.

He has every right to charge what he wants.

This is America and I am a firm believer in the free market system.

I am just curious how he stays in business.

Hoping someone had some insight.

Peyote. :ohnoez:

:roflmao:

This doesn't seem to be a simple case of doubling your prices so you can advertise sales price at 50% off.

And you'd think with that high level of "inventory fmv" their insurance premiums would be much higher than if something closer to liquidation value was used.

I think he's just not concerned with having to sell. I'm sure their brick and mortar stores do enough volume anything online is icing on the cake. I personally have never ordered from Mile High just because of the nightmarish stories I've heard. From never receiving a book, to getting the wrong book, being double charged. Even if I'd never heard the stories one look at their site and I'm on to the next site on the list. Its insane a business can operate so terribly and still be around so something must be keeping the lights on.

When I worked in a used bookstore, we'd price comics like this: Check to see what certain issues were going for at Mile High.

Then, since My Comic Shop was local, we'd check there to see what prices were going for reK certain issues in our geographic area. They were always lower for the same condition. So we'd price our stuff even less than MCS.

As a buyer, MCS is great because they grade so strictly. I'll get a raw book at a good deal, then have it signed/slabbed and it will come back a half point to a point higher than what MCS sold it for. That's nice when it happens to a mid-grade Giant Size X-Men #1 a fella wants signed by the creators of Wolverine.

Of course, as a seller, it works the other way around, too; the offer they give you for your raw books, and then what you actually get offered once they have been inspected, is usually going to be lower. As far as selling slabbed comics in their auctions, it is a gamble. I have lost bigtime on some books while other books have inexplicably brough in a nice price.

I keep going back, but am looking more towards Ebay now to sell some slabs, although I have seen the same issue there. A Destoryer Duck signed by Jack Kirby doesn't sell at $30. It gets relisted at $75, and sells. An unsigned slabbed Manera cover goes one place for $138 while on Ebay a slabbed Manara, same grade and signed by Stan Lee, goes for less than $90. Madness. Madness!

(Who are we to tell him? Well, in terms of suggestions rather than decrees, we're the people holding onto money and willing to spend it, wanting to spend it - but not throw it away, is who we are).

This video may have been shared previously, but I enjoyed Chuck's explanation when a collector asked him about his raw NM 98 priced at $2,600.

Fast forward to about 21:20. Interesting perspective.

And if you've never heard of Comic Trips I highly recommend them. Great YouTubers.

A year or two ago they actually had some stuff that after the codeword was not bad, especially if you got the free shipping. yes, it was like .01% of the listings.

now it seems like they have jacked up the prices another 100%, so there is very little there.

with that said, if you are looking for lower grade filler books, i think they are still probably ok if you hit the free shipping.

Chuckles is a DRAG QUEEN! :roflmao:

hm

:gossip:

lol

:roflmao:

:tonofbricks:

I always assumed you were too..., :shrug: