• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to window-bag your books for SS (with photos!)
9 9

139 posts in this topic

Those are cool, but the amount of time saved is negligible, and they are "one size fits all." I have cut hundreds of window bags for hundreds of different books, and what is sauce for the goose is not necessarily sauce for the gander.

Give me painters tape and a sharp Ex-Acto, and I can be almost as fast, but with the ability to custom-cut my openings.

Now does making a window bag insult the person you want to sign the comic? For example I want Stan Lee to sign an Amazing Spider-Man 5, but I don't want it to get beat up during and after him signing it. More importantly I want to determine the exact place where he signs it. At the Same time I don't want to offend Stan Lee. Any thoughts or experience with this?

Now does making a window bag insult the person you want to sign the comic? For example I want Stan Lee to sign an Amazing Spider-Man 5, but I don't want it to get beat up during and after him signing it. More importantly I want to determine the exact place where he signs it. At the Same time I don't want to offend Stan Lee. Any thoughts or experience with this?

Stan will not care either way.

I have had people ask me the same question: Does the artist/writer/celebrity get offended you are telling them where to sign? In my experience, and that experience is not as vast as others on the boards, the answer is no. I have had people ahead of me with a short box of non-windowed bags take forever to get 30 books signed because of un-bagging and re-bagging of books. The window bag process makes everything quicker. The person signing knows where to sign, what color ink to sign with and you are done quickly so the next person can get books signed. Usually it gives you a little more time to spend with the person signing because you are done quicker too. Has anyone had someone say something negative about a window bagged book?

I have had people ask me the same question: Does the artist/writer/celebrity get offended you are telling them where to sign? In my experience, and that experience is not as vast as others on the boards, the answer is no. I have had people ahead of me with a short box of non-windowed bags take forever to get 30 books signed because of un-bagging and re-bagging of books. The window bag process makes everything quicker. The person signing knows where to sign, what color ink to sign with and you are done quickly so the next person can get books signed. Usually it gives you a little more time to spend with the person signing because you are done quicker too. Has anyone had someone say something negative about a window bagged book?

I would say on average, celebs and writers will just sign where you want, unless their sig happens to be too big for the window.

Certainly not the majority, but SOME artists will have a place they prefer to sign, as they feel they may have more 'artistic/creative' eye for placement/color that will suit your comic. That doesn't happen the majority of the time, but it does happen some time.

Apologies if this is the wrong thread, but it's related to sigs in a box.

I asked artist Rags Morales to sign his full name, as opposed to his traditional "Thanx Rags" and he asked my "why?"

I thought, well 1) I paid for the book, and 2) your first name isn't "Thanx." (:

Am I correct or incorrect?

Bear in mind that this is a book for my private collection, not for resale.

Edited by MultiSig Mike

I always make sure that the board that was "cut into" is not the board directly touching my book because I'm OCD like that. I have a fear that the book could "catch" on the cut board and drop the grade. Watching this video was tough seeing how cavalier he was handling the book and dropping it into the bag rantrant

On 9/29/2016 at 7:39 PM, xXLordSidiousXx said:

Hi here is the link to what I'm talking about. I'd love to buy it if anyone knew where I could.

I like how he presses his finger right on the spine when applying the sticker and removing the transfer tape. Would have been better take the book out before applying pressure

Edited by STORMSHADOW_80

My buddy did these and labeled his windows for Jim Lee and Scott Snyder for three of his books.

On all three books, Snyder signed in the Jim Lee box, lololol.

And then Jim Lee signed his sketch cover with a silver sharpie. You can't even see the signature!

On 4/3/2017 at 0:47 PM, Alex Nguyen said:

My buddy did these and labeled his windows for Jim Lee and Scott Snyder for three of his books.

On all three books, Snyder signed in the Jim Lee box, lololol.

And then Jim Lee signed his sketch cover with a silver sharpie. You can't even see the signature!

doh!

On 3/29/2017 at 1:36 PM, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

I like how he presses his finger right on the spine when applying the sticker and removing the transfer tape. Would have been better take the book out before applying pressure

Yeah, exactly.

I don't see how those are much more convenient than just buying painters tape? You still have to stick it to the bag, these you have to peel the top away and you still have to cut. Seems like painters tape is still the best, cheaper way to go and you can pick your size easier.

I think if someone wants to make a product to save people time, they just need to make pre-made, re-usable window bags.

Edited by kevhtx

18 hours ago, kevhtx said:

Yeah, exactly.

I don't see how those are much more convenient than just buying painters tape? You still have to stick it to the bag, these you have to peel the top away and you still have to cut. Seems like painters tape is still the best, cheaper way to go and you can pick your size easier.

I think if someone wants to make a product to save people time, they just need to make pre-made, re-usable window bags.

And a thick backing board that won't bend!