• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wonder Woman In The Silver Age
3 3

79 posts in this topic

photo ww header_zpsnjentbl7.jpg

I'd like to welcome those that have followed my Flash Comics Journal blog these past four years. I also invite new fans to join me in a retrospective breakdown of 'Wonder Woman In The Silver Age'.

I start with issue #85 (same month as Showcase #4) and chronicle thru #120, while visiting a few detours on the journey. It's not an easy trek. Up until the origin issue #98, reading these stories is tedious -- mindless gangsters (and aliens), childish fantasies, ww identity revealing seekers, all recycled to lesser effect. The three stories per issue format was out of gas. Bob Kanigher, whom I have great respect for as a writer, clearly was not putting the 'A' work out there. Nor was Peters, who I never cared for, with the art. But you do see glimpses of SA shift in attitude in the 1957 issues with stories such as the origin of WW eagle breasted costume. In another story, we learn how she got her jeweled tiara. Although which comes first is confusing. With the introduction of Ross Andru (Pencils) and Mike Esposito (Inks) in #98, Kanigher finds inspiration to help the title morphs into a true Silver Age Classic. I'm really enjoying reading this era for the first time.

I hope you enjoy following along with me as we explore Wonder Woman In The Silver Age!

Edited by tabcom

As my collecting of WONDER WOMAN ended in 1950 with issue #34 and didn't

resume until 1977 with issue #229, I look forward to your thread.

mm

Thanks for the support fellas.

I like to pace my post about one a week. So hang in there.

With respects to Peter's art, maybe the bias is that I prefer the straight hair SA doo vs. the GA curly-locks. :luhv:

Edited by tabcom

Wonder Woman #85

October 1956

ww85_zpsysb5k5z1.jpg

I’m starting my Wonder Woman In The Silver Age blog with this issue. No, it is not a SA issue, but it is on the newsstand at the same time as Showcase #4 (written by Kanigher). The only similarity between this issue and Showcase #4 is the Giant 5000 Prize Contest. I want to take a look for any hints of a shift of style in the stories from childish fantasies, not-so-bright gangsters, secret identity seekers into science-fiction oriented epics.

Credits for the last 13 issues before the SA Wonder Woman origin story of issue #98 are Irv Novick (ending with #94) covers, Robert Kanigher writer, and Harry G. Peter (ending with #97) art.

The first story is the better of the three. "The Sword In the Sky" takes the excalibur myth and expands it into a rescue mission of moon people and a lesson on what is required to achieve freedom.

ww85c_zpsjzbw9hbn.png

The "The Wooden Hero" is very routine for the genre in so much as it is kid centered.

ww85d_zpsc1dzaye1.png

The cover story, "The Woman In the Bottle”, nearly makes a complete six page filler.

ww85g_zpsksftrge6.jpg

The educational love factoids are a regular inclusion during this late GA series run. This is the only time I will post them.

ww85e_zpscsy40kjs.png

ww85f_zps5vrku2w1.png

How many coupons from Showcase #4 got clipped for a chance at the grand prize?

ww85b_zps7tikyfaw.jpg

Overall, a forgettable issue like nearly all the others that will follow over the next year or so. It won’t be until #98 that Wonder Woman will start to really change and the stories become very interesting.

Edited by tabcom

Wonder Woman #86

November 1956

WW86_zpslymofowp.jpg

Really difficult to comment on this issue at all. Perhaps Bob Kanigher was running on fumes in the amount of stories he was writing and editing per month. This issue is just plain awful.

"The Painting That Betrayed Wonder Woman," uses the well worn story line of revealing the secret identity.

ww86a_zpsbw4desfv.png

"The Talking Robot Plane," may have inspired the Night at the Museum creators.

ww86b_zps0vzm1cyl.png

Dimwitted GA bad guys used to move the story to its well worn conclusion.

.ww86c_zpsl57ff49a.png

Edited by tabcom

Wonder Woman #87

January 1957

photo WW87_zpsz8wqniua.jpg

First story:

Time stops, aliens invade, WW saves Steve.

photo ww87a_zpskckpolgl.png

photo ww87b_zps2wtdmii2.png

Second (cover) Story:

Giant eagle with threatening talons is common in WW adventures.

The giant footsteps on the cover turn out to be that of a robots.

photo ww87c_zpsq1l7xlkp.jpg

photo ww87d_zpsvkxgkflw.png

Third Story:

More foolishness. WW loses her tiara, battles giant fish, faces death.

photo ww87e_zpsnc96ep1z.png

Merciful Minerva, when will it end!

Wonder Woman #88

February 1957

ww88_zpsejdrxwul.jpg

First (cover) Story:

Dimwitted gangsters. babies falling out of windows, and an escaped spy. All help pad this thin story of ‘what’s in the box?’.

Second Story:

WWs lasso get’s to tell her story.

Third Story:

WW identity revealed, again (or not).

ww88a_zpsn2j0oljl.png

ww88b_zpszmvtfloe.png

ww88d_zpszohrgmn6.png

ww88e_zpsjohc5tgl.png

ww88f_zpsboqw2mmx.jpg

ww88g_zps5eatki28.png

Edited by tabcom

The educational love factoids are a regular inclusion during this late GA series run. This is the only time I will post them.

Pity. They're good.

:(

I know. I regularly do all those things myself.

You ^^ You Gottah . . .

photo loversflowers_zpswsxkrzsd.jpg