• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

Op is selling a cover less asm 7 on fb for $150 with top left corner of the book chopped off

Meanwhile, blue cgc 4.5 on eBay for $253 OBO that hasn't been bought yet...

Might consider different pricing strategy

It's not a comic I have a lot of money into but I'll check it out

Wow you're doing awesome then and I have made good profit with smaller comics before. I have been following Casey's advice for a bit and it's forcing me to buy comics that I'll profit on or just save up. I do also look at various websites to find deals as well. My problems are that I'm stubborn, emotional and have a learning disability. I don't have anything against small books either it's just if I find something it's not worth shipping in most cases. But I'm working on my emotional control with what Casey told me because it's what cost me the 200 that it did.

When are you going to stop making excuses and using your disability as a crutch?

Excuses? I'm giving you the reality of things that I deal with and I've mentioned I'm working on each problem

Op is selling a cover less asm 7 on fb for $150 with top left corner of the book chopped off

With all due respect to the OP I can't imagine that book being worth more than $50-75

So when you come out with an asking price of likely more than two times fair market value it doesn't do anything to instill or create buyer confidence

Or assist with seller credibility

Wow you're doing awesome then and I have made good profit with smaller comics before. I have been following Casey's advice for a bit and it's forcing me to buy comics that I'll profit on or just save up. I do also look at various websites to find deals as well. My problems are that I'm stubborn, emotional and have a learning disability. I don't have anything against small books either it's just if I find something it's not worth shipping in most cases. But I'm working on my emotional control with what Casey told me because it's what cost me the 200 that it did.

When are you going to stop making excuses and using your disability as a crutch?

Excuses? I'm giving you the reality of things that I deal with and I've mentioned I'm working on each problem

How many times have you mentioned your various problems, especially your learning disability? Certainly more times than I can count. 95% of the people who are reading and responding in this thread are well versed in your disabilities, and the fact that you continue to bring them up sure looks like your using them as a crutch. Lots of people have learning disabilities, it's not uncommon. The difference between them and you is they see no need to make sure everyone knows about it. Those people learned long ago that they have to work harder to be successful in certain areas and because of that, nobody can tell the disability is there. You seem to bring it up constantly, I'm guessing to fish for sympathy every time you screw something up. I guarantee that a lot of people, some on these very boards have been dealt way worse hands than you, but they overcame because they were willing to work harder, rather than continually offer up excuses, to get to where they want to be. As far as I'm concerned, and I speak for nobody but myself, given the fact that you continue to bring up your problems as an excuse to cover your mistakes, coupled with the fact you won't even work a full time job, my sympathy for you hovers right around zero.

With all due respect to the OP I can't imagine that book being worth more than $50-75

So when you come out with an asking price of likely more than two times fair market value it doesn't do anything to instill or create buyer confidence

Ok but I don't understand what credibility has to do with this unless they would think I'm trying to rip them off? It's a OBO and right now I'm testing the waters to see if I'll get any offers for it.

Are you listening to this, Gabe? This is sound advice, for free, from an extremely successful person that has been buying and selling not only high dollar books, but low dollar books as well. If you were the least bit concerned with getting better at buying and selling, you would address this right away. But you won't, because you're more interested in making the big score than in making a small profit on a pile of books one at a time. As to the ASM 7 on fb, where do you come up with an asking price of $150.00 for your coverless and cornerless copy, when a graded, blue label 4.5 can be had for $253.00? No one in their right mind will pay you that price for your book, and even if someone did, who would it be? I'll tell you who, a new collector who has no idea of the true value of the book. So, let's say you sell the book to a person like this, what will you have accomplished? You will have found someone who actually knows less about comics than you, and when that person finds out that he way overpaid for that book, they are going to be suspicious of all other sellers out there, and rightfully so. Ill give you this much, though; you have managed to create a thread that's better than the Jelly of the Month Club, it just keeps on giving year after year.

How many times have you mentioned your various problems, especially your learning disability? Certainly more times than I can count. 95% of the people who are reading and responding in this thread are well versed in your disabilities, and the fact that you continue to bring them up sure looks like your using them as a crutch. Lots of people have learning disabilities, it's not uncommon. The difference between them and you is they see no need to make sure everyone knows about it. Those people learned long ago that they have to work harder to be successful in certain areas and because of that, nobody can tell the disability is there. You seem to bring it up constantly, I'm guessing to fish for sympathy every time you screw something up. I guarantee that a lot of people, some on these very boards have been dealt way worse hands than you, but they overcame because they were willing to work harder, rather than continually offer up excuses, to get to where they want to be. As far as I'm concerned, and I speak for nobody but myself, given the fact that you continue to bring up your problems as an excuse to cover your mistakes, coupled with the fact you won't even work a full time job, my sympathy for you hovers right around zero.

Maybe it looks like sympathy from where you're looking at but it's not I'm stating what I'm dealing with and yes I haven't been dealt the best hand but I know people have it worse off then myself, I've mentioned quite a bit that I'm working on these problems starting with my emotional impulses you don't seem to mention that. I'm not going to say that I don't want to work towards my goal but I always seem to choose to the hard way of things and in most cases it's ineffective. There's balance between determination, hard work and thinking smarter and that's what I am for or I should say I'm aiming for it. Why do you think I finally listened to James's advice? Because I realize it's a problem I had, it costs me money and time and will help me in the long run if I learn to control it now with something simple like this.

Ok but I don't understand what credibility has to do with this unless they would think I'm trying to rip them off? It's a OBO and right now I'm testing the waters to see if I'll get any offers for it.

I like to think the questions being asked are comig from a child but I know that it's coming from someone in their mid-20s. So sad...

Are you listening to this, Gabe? This is sound advice, for free, from an extremely successful person that has been buying and selling not only high dollar books, but low dollar books as well. If you were the least bit concerned with getting better at buying and selling, you would address this right away. But you won't, because you're more interested in making the big score than in making a small profit on a pile of books one at a time. As to the ASM 7 on fb, where do you come up with an asking price of $150.00 for your coverless and cornerless copy, when a graded, blue label 4.5 can be had for $253.00? No one in their right mind will pay you that price for your book, and even if someone did, who would it be? I'll tell you who, a new collector who has no idea of the true value of the book. So, let's say you sell the book to a person like this, what will you have accomplished? You will have found someone who actually knows less about comics than you, and when that person finds out that he way overpaid for that book, they are going to be suspicious of all other sellers out there, and rightfully so. Ill give you this much, though; you have managed to create a thread that's better than the Jelly of the Month Club, it just keeps on giving year after year.

I'll wait after this weekend is over and I'll fix the price and it's not something I just randomly came up with I used the sale of 75 dollars for a .5 ASM 7 to get my price .I disagree somewhat with that there are people that aren't new that buy coverless comics because they're cheaper then ones with a cover and yes it's most likely going to be a new collector but that's why the OBO is there. I know I overpaid for coverless comics but it wasn't the first comic that I bought and like I said if no one bites I'll change the price.

I like to think the questions being asked are comig from a child but I know that it's coming from someone in their mid-20s. So sad...

I don't think it's sad to ask about something you're not sure about I may not be as smart as you guys but at least I'm trying.

I don't think it's sad to ask about something you're not sure about I may not be as smart as you guys but at least I'm trying.

It's sad how a 27 year old can't figure out how over pricing a book can impact their credibility as a legit seller. You seem very sure of your pricing methods and it makes total sense to you however your prices don't make any sense for the reasons mentioned by the other posters. It seems like you're hoping to sucker a new collector in over paying for your book just like the seller did to you.

You obviously don't know what the word "Credibility" means. Here is an assignment for you: Look up the definition of Credibility. Next, post that definition in your response. Next, tell us why asking between 2 and 3 times the value of your book does or does not hurt Your credibility and why. And by the way, your answer cannot include the fact that You overpaid for the book in the first place and it cannot include "But I put OBO". If you do this, you MIGHT actually learn something. I won't hold my breath, but stranger things have probably happened. Oh, and by the way, when you are asking 2 to 3 times market price for your book, why would a potential customer Not think that you are trying to rip them off?

It's sad how a 27 year old can't figure out how over pricing a book can impact their credibility as a legit seller. You seem very sure of your pricing methods and it makes total sense to you however your prices don't make any sense for the reasons mentioned by the other posters. It seems like you're hoping to sucker a new collector in over paying for your book just like the seller did to you.

^^

Gabe, the market for that book is going to be very, very difficult.

Overpriced books can be a big turn off. Being at the high end of GPA is one thing but books that are in the stratosphere, like yours for this mangled, coverless ASM #7 just make legit buyers/collectors laugh or scoff and move on and if you don't think buyers make "mental notes" of sellers, you are wrong. You are showing this inexperience over 8 FB pages too no less. LISTEN TO WHAT GATOR IS TELLING YOU.

Also, I am not surprised to see that you did not listen to my advice about cleaning up your online presence.

You still have My Little Pony and far right American political stuff on your FB page. Seriously, you are CANADIAN. WTF? Share if "You Think (Obama) Wants Civil Unrest to Disrupt the Election" - Are you out of your freaking mind? Also, what is with this "Meninist" ? Your rant against Emma Watson was the icing on the cake. She has accomplished more in 15 minutes than you have in your entire life. Get an education. Or, at the very least, understand that excessive posting of social/political views online, generally not a good thing.

As an employer, if I saw your online postings, your application would be going straight to the garbage.

2c

^^

Gabe, the market for that book is going to be very, very difficult.

Overpriced books can be a big turn off. Being at the high end of GPA is one thing but books that are in the stratosphere, like yours for this mangled, coverless ASM #7 just make legit buyers/collectors laugh or scoff and move on and if you don't think buyers make "mental notes" of sellers, you are wrong. You are showing this inexperience over 8 FB pages too no less. LISTEN TO WHAT GATOR IS TELLING YOU.

Also, I am not surprised to see that you did not listen to my advice about cleaning up your online presence.

You still have My Little Pony and far right American political stuff on your FB page. Seriously, you are CANADIAN. WTF? Share if "You Think (Obama) Wants Civil Unrest to Disrupt the Election" - Are you out of your freaking mind? Also, what is with this "Meninist" ? Your rant against Emma Watson was the icing on the cake. She has accomplished more in 15 minutes than you have in your entire life. Get an education. Or, at the very least, understand that excessive posting of social/political views online, generally not a good thing.

As an employer, if I saw your online postings, your application would be going straight to the garbage.

2c

I could be wrong, but I don't think people looking for dishwashers are really too concerned with FB.

Remember, this guy couldn't get hired by KFC and I know their standards are super low...because I worked for them as one of the first jobs I ever had :insane:

I could be wrong, but I don't think he draws connections between things that seem obvious to most of us, even when they are pointed out to him. And so obviously he wouldn't assume others are making those connections too. Could be a disorder, could be good old fashioned lack of sense, could be willful ignorance. Or a combo

but what can be done? He will never be successful in selling comics without those connection-making abilities, but he will never accept that truth without those abilities either.

Will he listen to and actually heed advice about building a healthier and stronger body and mind and image? Preferably also while building personal and professional skills and financial security?

Did you get better at math today? Did you improve your memory? Did you run farther or faster? Did you watch YouTube to learn better dishwashing technique? You KNOW you're behind in nearly every phase of life and that you'll have to work harder, are you improving yourself each day? I don't mean searching for deals, playing video games, or reading about how the US president murdered your puppy. What makes you better than you were yesterday? Not that anyone MUST improve, but you claim that you do, you claim to have goals.

Take some business classes

Borrow some library books to stretch your brain

Read some books or magazines that smart people read

Do some push-ups, jog a mile.

Use YouTube to learn some skills.

Learn a foreign language, it strengthens your brain

I could be wrong, but I don't think he draws connections between things that seem obvious to most of us, even when they are pointed out to him. And so obviously he wouldn't assume others are making those connections too. Could be a disorder, could be good old fashioned lack of sense, could be willful ignorance. Or a combo

but what can be done? He will never be successful in selling comics without those connection-making abilities, but he will never accept that truth without those abilities either.

Will he listen to and actually heed advice about building a healthier and stronger body and mind and image? Preferably also while building personal and professional skills and financial security?

Did you get better at math today? Did you improve your memory? Did you run farther or faster? Did you watch YouTube to learn better dishwashing technique? You KNOW you're behind in nearly every phase of life and that you'll have to work harder, are you improving yourself each day? I don't mean searching for deals, playing video games, or reading about how the US president murdered your puppy. What makes you better than you were yesterday? Not that anyone MUST improve, but you claim that you do, you claim to have goals.

Take some business classes

Borrow some library books to stretch your brain

Read some books or magazines that smart people read

Do some push-ups, jog a mile.

Use YouTube to learn some skills.

Learn a foreign language, it strengthens your brain

Those are all good ideas, but it also seems like a lot of work.

I'm actually 23 and as I said before I'm testing the waters and if I don't get a bite then I'll change the price

You obviously don't know what the word "Credibility" means. Here is an assignment for you: Look up the definition of Credibility. Next, post that definition in your response. Next, tell us why asking between 2 and 3 times the value of your book does or does not hurt Your credibility and why. And by the way, your answer cannot include the fact that You overpaid for the book in the first place and it cannot include "But I put OBO". If you do this, you MIGHT actually learn something. I won't hold my breath, but stranger things have probably happened. Oh, and by the way, when you are asking 2 to 3 times market price for your book, why would a potential customer Not think that you are trying to rip them off?

Definition of the word credibility

the quality of being believable or worthy of trust:

I was always told by my dad to always ask double and work my way down so if people haggle I'll still get the price I want.

I was always told by my dad to always ask double and work my way down so if people haggle I'll still get the price I want.

Horrible advice in comic sales. That price is neither believable nor worthy of trusting you as a seller. Hence destructive to your credibility.

How much success has he had selling collectibles on the Internet ?

8 8