• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quality Time - Have a Cigar!
6 6

586 posts in this topic

just got myself a Smash 16...is 15cents normal cover?

In Canada (thumbs u

really?way back when?I got the book from Las Vegas.

I've seen DC 15¢ Canadian editions, which are rare enough, and IIRC, there are only about four different ones. I was unaware of Quality having any. Post it please.

Picked THIS gem up in Chicago :) Got some Lou Fine in there, for those who keep track of such things :whistle:

Crack%204%20front_zps8iynlwze.jpg

Along the same lines: this was the gem I found in Chicago. A few spots. But it's Lou Fine with spots! :grin:

(Also posted this in the Lou Fine thread, but figured it was Quality Time worthy in its own right.)

Hit_3_front_cvr_2_300dpi_w5_q9_zps69hejuhy.jpg

I'm fortunate to have access to early raw issues of books (Crack, Feature, Hit, National, Police, Smash, etc.) and have been enjoying them a lot. 

Quick question for you Quality aficionados, what is your single favorite title for this publisher (and why)?

4 hours ago, sacentaur said:

I'm fortunate to have access to early raw issues of books (Crack, Feature, Hit, National, Police, Smash, etc.) and have been enjoying them a lot. 

Quick question for you Quality aficionados, what is your single favorite title for this publisher (and why)?

Probably National.  Hard to beat early Lou Fine Ray or Black Condor, but those titles didn't finish strong.  National started with Fine/Eisner, then kept rolling with superior Kotzky, Crandall, Gustafson, etc.  If you've ever had the chance to flip through National 26, you'll know what I mean.  

I'm kind of partial to Police. Love the Jack Cole Plastic Man and the Spirit. I like National for the covers and the Lou Fine stuff. Hit's are nice too. Again, great covers. Not so much on Crack or Smash though... Later Qualitys pretty much bore me.

19 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I'm kind of partial to Police. Love the Jack Cole Plastic Man and the Spirit. I like National for the covers and the Lou Fine stuff. Hit's are nice too. Again, great covers. Not so much on Crack or Smash though... Later Qualitys pretty much bore me.

I'll admit to being deficient on Police Comics.  I haven't owned one since I had a #1 way back when.  

23 hours ago, sacentaur said:

I like the Hit Comics myself. Early  classic covers by Lou fine! plus Reed Crandell art .  I own a Hit # 5 , Moderate resto  but it's a beauty!!! # 7 # 11 # 17 you get the picture. I have to get my scanner back on sometime one of these days.

Our hobby has become so cover-centric, and this is where Quality stumbles (and often stumbles badly, with Fine and some other exceptions). For example, Bozo the Robot isn't exactly a prime cover draw.

Nonetheless, many publishers would be hard-pressed to beat the quality of the interiors on these books - artwork and coloring being above par on most titles.

The character doesn't get a lot of love, but the Dollman (started by Lou Fine) is one of the better features (in Feature), IMHO.

7 hours ago, sacentaur said:

Our hobby has become so cover-centric, and this is where Quality stumbles (and often stumbles badly, with Fine and some other exceptions). For example, Bozo the Robot isn't exactly a prime cover draw.

Nonetheless, many publishers would be hard-pressed to beat the quality of the interiors on these books - artwork and coloring being above par on most titles.

The character doesn't get a lot of love, but the Dollman (started by Lou Fine) is one of the better features (in Feature), IMHO.

I'd agree that our hobby has become infinitely more cover-centric, but that's not necessarily the fault of the characters chosen.  The problem with some Quality covers may be attributable to "Busy" Arnold's confidence in Gill Fox as an all purpose cover artist.  I know some folks like his early covers, but to my artist's eye his covers for early SMASH and CRACK are simply terrible.  

Gill Fox's work on early POLICE covers isn't much better, with the possible exception of less realistically drawn characters like Plastic Man, for which his covers were better suited.  In fairness, Crandall's overly realistic style didn't mesh well with Jack Cole's PM on Police either, but when Cole started doing the covers and interiors, the right balance was finally struck.

In response to your question about favorite Quality books, I'd probably start with HIT Comics (Lou Fine, Crandall, et al.), then PLASTIC MAN & POLICE, followed by the tragically undervalued BLACKHAWK comic & MILITARY/MODERN.  There are superb covers and interior art in all of these books.  There are also noteworthy covers and interiors on SMASH & CRACK (post-Fox), NATIONAL and DOLLMAN.

Edited by Cat-Man_America