• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

You can ship a single slab via Canada post for $19 Canadian and change.

Homework for you Gabe. Figure out how and report back.

Gabe, I was trying to get at what iceman just told you. There are several shipping options that are less than $27 USD per single slab. Go explore the CP website.

I'll check it out later thanks

but everyone now is chasing after hot comics.

No, not everyone, not even close.

That assumption will prevent you from succeeding.

Perhaps saying everyone wasn't the best idea but it's certainly a trend and I don't see it often here but I see it from time to time.

"I see it from time to time" ≠ "it's certainly a trend"

I also didn't mention that I talked with comic book dealers that are my friends or rather they told me because people aren't buying runs as they used to it's always a hot comic more often then naught

Key books definitely are in bigger demand but that does not mean all other books are dead. I listed about 80 books this week on E-bay and sold 14 of them for a profit with the week. Half I would call minor keys like X-Men 266, FF 25 and the rest were nice standard books (mid grade Ms Marvel 1 and JO 135) so don't just look for the top ten key books when hunting. Probably a bit tougher from Canada but you are the one who thinks you want to sell books from Canada.

Yeah those comics you mentioned I would buy if the price was right and I have nothing against smaller comics it's just that people have been buying the bigger keys much faster compared to the others and I can see why as shipping is usually about half the cost of the comic or the same so for that I'll offer combined shipping. Another thing I want to point out is about 90% of my buyers are from the states.

I will I learned how to save money with bubble mailers and bubble wrap

Uhmm...I can still ship a slab boxed for that $19 CDN or thereabouts...It is weight and insurance value that will determine your tier options.

I hope you are not shipping slabs in a bubble mailer????

How do you not know this already though? Seriously dude. I learned about how to ship and values BEFORE even listing anything on the Bay...

Uhmm...I can still ship a slab boxed for that $19 CDN or thereabouts...It is weight and insurance value that will determine your tier options.

How do you not know this already though? Seriously dude. I learned about how to ship and values BEFORE even listing anything on the Bay...

His greatness can't be contained by your traditions and logic

You don't send slabs in bubble mailers do you?

I DO!!!!

I think someone is regretting his purchase of a ASM 129 CGC 8.0 right about now.

doh!:wishluck:

doh!:wishluck:

Shouldn't have lowballed and instead paid the $1100 for double walled box :baiting:

No I don't ship slabs in bubble mailer you were assuming again and I just checked how much a slab would cost me to send with tracking and 100 dollars insurance cost 19.20 CAD excluding shipping supplies

His greatness can't be contained by your traditions and logic

I'll be clear then. If I don't know how to ship something I sell it locally

No I don't

I think what people are trying to tell you, and that you are having trouble grasping is the following:

With a $1000 'deal', all your eggs are in one basket, and should you make a mistake with pricing, grade etc, you stand to lose on your only deal.

Should you decide to follow Caseys sage advice, and limit your purchases to $40 - $50 per month, you can find a nice little stack of books on the net, or at auctions, garage sales and sell them for $100 - $150.

If you screw up one or two, then you have the rest to profit on.

One $1000 book - one mistake = big % loss, just like the $200 on the ASM

20 books for $50 - one mistake = maybe $2-3 loss, but still making money on the rest. You will make profit.

I've told you this before, but I decided a long time ago that I refuse to buy comics out of my salary, and certainly not use a Credit Card.

So I scour various places, put ads out there and only buy books using the money I make from previous sales.

As an example, last Thursday I spent $140 AUD on 10 Golden Age Australian comics, plus an unopened Meccano set from 1973-4 that I found in a dog charity shop.

I hope to recoup $300 - $400.

That's profit gained by spreading the risk over 11 items, not just one.

It works, and if you need proof, those profits have allowed me to purchase this year:

MP #15 CGC 9.6

Tec #58 CGC 2.0 (in for resub)

TOS #39 CBCS 6.5

Sgt Fury #1 CBCS 8.5 (resubbed from 7.0)

plus all the books I buy at auctions, estate sales in the first place.

I don't have the astonishing comic knowledge of many people here, but I put the effort in.

95% of advert replies, auctions and secondhand shop visits are complete busts, but I keep going, and the 5% make it worthwhile.

It is no co-incidence that the people who find big books in the wild work incredibly hard (see CG thread for recent SA mega key finds).

Your failure, is that you are not prepared to do that large amount of work that separates a good comic seller, from one that breaks even at best.

If I can make enough to fully self-fund my 'keeper' books in Australia, then you should be able to do very well indeed in Canada.

If you won't put in the (literal) legwork, then just give up.

You are better off working another 20 hrs a week and getting an extra $300 of risk free cash.

Good Luck

2c

I think what people are trying to tell you, and that you are having trouble grasping is the following:

With a $1000 'deal', all your eggs are in one basket, and should you make a mistake with pricing, grade etc, you stand to lose on your only deal.

Should you decide to follow Caseys sage advice, and limit your purchases to $40 - $50 per month, you can find a nice little stack of books on the net, or at auctions, garage sales and sell them for $100 - $150.

If you screw up one or two, then you have the rest to profit on.

One $1000 book - one mistake = big % loss, just like the $200 on the ASM

20 books for $50 - one mistake = maybe $2-3 loss, but still making money on the rest. You will make profit.

I've told you this before, but I decided a long time ago that I refuse to buy comics out of my salary, and certainly not use a Credit Card.

So I scour various places, put ads out there and only buy books using the money I make from previous sales.

As an example, last Thursday I spent $140 AUD on 10 Golden Age Australian comics, plus an unopened Meccano set from 1973-4 that I found in a dog charity shop.

I hope to recoup $300 - $400.

That's profit gained by spreading the risk over 11 items, not just one.

It works, and if you need proof, those profits have allowed me to purchase this year:

MP #15 CGC 9.6

Tec #58 CGC 2.0 (in for resub)

TOS #39 CBCS 6.5

Sgt Fury #1 CBCS 8.5 (resubbed from 7.0)

plus all the books I buy at auctions, estate sales in the first place.

I don't have the astonishing comic knowledge of many people here, but I put the effort in.

95% of advert replies, auctions and secondhand shop visits are complete busts, but I keep going, and the 5% make it worthwhile.

It is no co-incidence that the people who find big books in the wild work incredibly hard (see CG thread for recent SA mega key finds).

Your failure, is that you are not prepared to do that large amount of work that separates a good comic seller, from one that breaks even at best.

If I can make enough to fully self-fund my 'keeper' books in Australia, then you should be able to do very well indeed in Canada.

If you won't put in the (literal) legwork, then just give up.

You are better off working another 20 hrs a week and getting an extra $300 of risk free cash.

Good Luck

2c

Wow you're doing awesome then and I have made good profit with smaller comics before. I have been following Casey's advice for a bit and it's forcing me to buy comics that I'll profit on or just save up. I do also look at various websites to find deals as well. My problems are that I'm stubborn, emotional and have a learning disability. I don't have anything against small books either it's just if I find something it's not worth shipping in most cases. But I'm working on my emotional control with what Casey told me because it's what cost me the 200 that it did.

I think Beige was mixing me up with someone else? (shrug)

Sorry Casey, I thought it was you who suggested $11 per week = $40 - $50 per month?

Sound advice from whoever though! :foryou:

I think Beige was mixing me up with someone else? (shrug)

Sorry Casey, I thought it was you who suggested $11 per week = $40 - $50 per month?

Sound advice from whoever though! :foryou:

No problem at all :)

A lot of people gave similar advice, but it was that other guy who kept pushing Gabe to significantly lower his budget.

Op is selling a cover less asm 7 on fb for $150 with top left corner of the book chopped off

Meanwhile, blue cgc 4.5 on eBay for $253 OBO that hasn't been bought yet...

Might consider different pricing strategy

Wow you're doing awesome then and I have made good profit with smaller comics before. I have been following Casey's advice for a bit and it's forcing me to buy comics that I'll profit on or just save up. I do also look at various websites to find deals as well. My problems are that I'm stubborn, emotional and have a learning disability. I don't have anything against small books either it's just if I find something it's not worth shipping in most cases. But I'm working on my emotional control with what Casey told me because it's what cost me the 200 that it did.

When are you going to stop making excuses and using your disability as a crutch?

8 8