• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

Seems like you're constantly getting scammed by people. How much money have you actually lost due to scams and what were the books? Were most of these transactions on FB?

Yeah it does look like that and one of the transactions was on fb and the other off fb

So it total I got scammed 1340.98

The comics were

HOS 92 CGC 7.0

ASM 40 7.0

and GSX 1 6.5/7.0

These are the books you were supposed to receive but what were the ones that you sent and not get anything in return?

Seems like you're constantly getting scammed by people. How much money have you actually lost due to scams and what were the books? Were most of these transactions on FB?

Yeah it does look like that and one of the transactions was on fb and the other off fb

So it total I got scammed 1340.98

The comics were

HOS 92 CGC 7.0

ASM 40 7.0

and GSX 1 6.5/7.0

These are the books you were supposed to receive but what were the ones that you sent and not get anything in return?

The deal with the hos 92 and asm 40 I sent my IG # 1 X5 9.8 and x2 9.6

KPR should start his own journal on his road to success

Who is KPR? (shrug)

He's the who just paid too much for an ASM 129

Sorry, you joined the boards after Hector. He's my cutoff point, after meeting him I said no more new boardies ever again :fear:

So has my ship sailed???

We've already met :facepalm:

The thing with eBay is this: .. every Seller (whether they actually are or not) needs to be seen to be as Professional as possible and make their listings also look as Professional as possible.

I'm pointing out the obvious to many on here, but Gabe might not see the pitfalls for successful selling on the 'bay.

Gabe, If you put blurry pics and hardly any notes in the listing .. potential buyers will just walk away. I see it all the time, people are fickle: if it doesn't look good (nevermind if the price is good or not) they will move on to the next listing.

A typical example is if you have your own website: if it doesn't grab the first-time visitor within 10-15 seconds .. they're gone.

Make your listings as good as you possibly can .. and also investigate eBay's Templates (they frame the main description). Looks are pretty much everything.

I didn't think people make judgement calls that quickly if they want to buy something or not I was going to take better pics and I didn't even expect to get as many offers as I did before the listing got taken down.

They do .. it's called experience that makes me impart that info to you :ohnoez:

Offers from here, or eBay? .. and no-wonder the list got taken down (as others have posted already) :whatev:

people don't ALWAYS make quick decisions, but it doesn't take much sloppiness or unprofessionalism to turn away a buyer, unless the price is significantly cheaper. And you're already playing behind, seeing as you're in Canada. You literally have no margin for error, figuratively or financially.

I agree I'm in tighter situations then most are and one of the biggest problems is shipping as that turns people off that's also something I'm working on.

Trust me, shipping is NOT one of your "biggest problems". Crappy pics/scans and poor write ups are among a few other things.

I'm in Canada (as you know) and while I am by no means a big time dealer, I sell a fair bit on eBay and my customers are pretty much 50/50 I would say with regards to being in Canada and USA...I don't think it is shipping that is the problem unless you are overcharging.

Are you taking the exchange rate into consideration with regards to ship costs? With the current exchange rate, if it is $18 CDN to ship, I charge $15 USD. Or if it is a big book, I might take a tad more off shipping cost to be even more competitive.

Edited by Wall-Crawler

The thing with eBay is this: .. every Seller (whether they actually are or not) needs to be seen to be as Professional as possible and make their listings also look as Professional as possible.

I'm pointing out the obvious to many on here, but Gabe might not see the pitfalls for successful selling on the 'bay.

Gabe, If you put blurry pics and hardly any notes in the listing .. potential buyers will just walk away. I see it all the time, people are fickle: if it doesn't look good (nevermind if the price is good or not) they will move on to the next listing.

A typical example is if you have your own website: if it doesn't grab the first-time visitor within 10-15 seconds .. they're gone.

Make your listings as good as you possibly can .. and also investigate eBay's Templates (they frame the main description). Looks are pretty much everything.

I didn't think people make judgement calls that quickly if they want to buy something or not I was going to take better pics and I didn't even expect to get as many offers as I did before the listing got taken down.

They do .. it's called experience that makes me impart that info to you :ohnoez:

Offers from here, or eBay? .. and no-wonder the list got taken down (as others have posted already) :whatev:

people don't ALWAYS make quick decisions, but it doesn't take much sloppiness or unprofessionalism to turn away a buyer, unless the price is significantly cheaper. And you're already playing behind, seeing as you're in Canada. You literally have no margin for error, figuratively or financially.

I agree I'm in tighter situations then most are and one of the biggest problems is shipping as that turns people off that's also something I'm working on.

Trust me, shipping is NOT one of your "biggest problems". Crappy pics/scans and poor write ups are among a few other things.

I'm in Canada (as you know) and while I am by no means a big time dealer, I sell a fair bit on eBay and my customers are pretty much 50/50 I would say with regards to being in Canada and USA...I don't think it is shipping that is the problem unless you are overcharging.

Are you taking the exchange rate into consideration with regards to ship costs? With the current exchange rate, if it is $18 CDN to ship, I charge $15 USD. Or if it is a big book, I might take a tad more off shipping cost to be even more competitive.

Yup it's one of the things I take into consideration

but everyone now is chasing after hot comics.

No, not everyone, not even close.

That assumption will prevent you from succeeding.

Perhaps saying everyone wasn't the best idea but it's certainly a trend and I don't see it often here but I see it from time to time.

"I see it from time to time" ≠ "it's certainly a trend"

Perhaps saying everyone wasn't the best idea but it's certainly a trend and I don't see it often here but I see it from time to time.

Many people are saying its a trend. They're telling me 'hey, it's trend to buy hot comics.' And I buy all the hottest comics. People ask me why they're so hot, they burn my hands, but I buy them anyways. Even the ones I buy by mistake, they're still so hot. That's what everyone tells me.

Edited by Revat

Many people are saying its a trend. They're telling me 'hey, it's trend to buy hot comics.' And I buy all the hottest comics. People ask me why they're so hot, they burn my hands, but I buy them anyways. Even the ones I buy by mistake, they're still so hot. That's what everyone tells me.

:roflmao:

Then how is shipping a problem?

(shrug)

That's it's still about 27usd to ship a slab

I can see if it is a pricey slab it can cost that much due to insurance such as the ASM #129 8.0 costing near that due to the value of the book and wanting to insure it for the full value

But how often are you shipping slabs worth $200 or more? I just shipped a $250 USD valued slab for less than that, about $22 USD (and I took $2 off) to make it an even $20 USD. It was just under $30 CDN to ship. Did I "lose" out on a couple of bucks? Sure but it made me as competitively priced as I could be.

Do you have a digital mailing scale? That might help so you can plug in your values and you will know everything exactly for listing purposes. Also, small business owners can get a card from Canada Post that gives you discount on shipping.

I also didn't mention that I talked with comic book dealers that are my friends or rather they told me because people aren't buying runs as they used to it's always a hot comic more often then naught

I see what you did tthere

Then how is shipping a problem?

(shrug)

That's it's still about 27usd to ship a slab

I can see if it is a pricey slab it can cost that much due to insurance such as the ASM #129 8.0 costing near that due to the value of the book and wanting to insure it for the full value

But how often are you shipping slabs worth $200 or more? I just shipped a $250 USD valued slab for less than that, about $22 USD (and I took $2 off) to make it an even $20 USD. It was just under $30 CDN to ship. Did I "lose" out on a couple of bucks? Sure but it made me as competitively priced as I could be.

Do you have a digital mailing scale? That might help so you can plug in your values and you will know everything exactly for listing purposes. Also, small business owners can get a card from Canada Post that gives you discount on shipping.

Actually that's the unfortunate part that's my shipping cost for every slab I sent. I don't have a digital mailing scale but it's something I thought of buying and yes I do have the small business card it saves me 5% on supplies and shipping in most cases.

I also didn't mention that I talked with comic book dealers that are my friends or rather they told me because people aren't buying runs as they used to it's always a hot comic more often then naught

Key books definitely are in bigger demand but that does not mean all other books are dead. I listed about 80 books this week on E-bay and sold 14 of them for a profit with the week. Half I would call minor keys like X-Men 266, FF 25 and the rest were nice standard books (mid grade Ms Marvel 1 and JO 135) so don't just look for the top ten key books when hunting. Probably a bit tougher from Canada but you are the one who thinks you want to sell books from Canada.

You can ship a single slab via Canada post for $19 Canadian and change.

Homework for you Gabe. Figure out how and report back.

Gabe, I was trying to get at what iceman just told you. There are several shipping options that are less than $27 USD per single slab. Go explore the CP website.

You can ship a single slab via Canada post for $19 Canadian and change.

Homework for you Gabe. Figure out how and report back.

Gabe, I was trying to get at what iceman just told you. There are several shipping options that are less than $27 USD per single slab. Go explore the CP website.

Too much work. Can't you just provide the link? :sumo:

8 8