• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash Comics Journal
3 3

316 posts in this topic

Issue #104Feb. 1949Rating: 5photo DSC02545_zpsc0f270c1.jpg

Hawkman -- Broome, Kubert

Flash -- Kanigher, Infantino, Giacoia

Ghost Patrol -- Infantino, Sachs

Atom -- Arthur Adler, Reinman

Ma Nature's Curiosity Shop -- Martin Naydel

Black Canary -- Kanigher, Infantino, Sachs

photo Flash104e_zpsmbftijja.jpg

photo Flash104c_zpsf5hxfiny.jpg

photo Flash104d_zpshrmnpqnq.jpg

photo flashcomics104_1_zps155060de.jpg

photo Flash104f_zpsifkq7cmq.jpg

Flash's origin retold, with a new development added . . .

photo Flash104a_zpsqcpcrpo5.jpg

Nearly ten years later, Flash's Rival appears . . .

photo Flash104b_zpsaxq35zvd.png

FLASH COMICS CANCELLED!

???

From Adventure Comics #137 (Feb. 1949), the house ads shows the last issue of Flash Comics shared newsstand space with Superboy #1 in the first week of January 1949.

The so called GA Superhero Implosion has begun.

adv13722.jpg
adv13737.jpg
Edited by tabcom

The art, stories and covers were as good as they'd ever been at the end of the run, but clearly quality wasn't going to save the superhero genre by 1949. Western comics being what the kids who used to buy superhero books wanted, apparently.

Interesting though, that DC launched Superboy just as the genre was shutting down, and as I recall Superman titles were strong sellers throughout the 1950s (no doubt aided by the popularity of the TV show). It's as if a whole genre practically collapsed into one character for a decade.

They even used the Superheroes to introduce them.

I believe he replaced the BOY COMMANDOS.

<a  href=https://c4.staticflickr.com/6/5334/9026224147_29abc5dc3e.jpg' alt='9026224147_29abc5dc3e.jpg'>IMG WORLD'S FINEST #42

mm

Edited by Marty Mann

Flash Comics writers and artist continued working after the title cancelled in 1949. The following month, Sensation Comics #87 (March 1949) hit the newsstands with a lot of Flash Comics veterans contributing.

Wonder Woman, -script by Kanigher

Wild Cat, inks by Bernard Sachs (Flash)

Half page Money Stuff and Ma Nature's Curiosity Shop filler, Martin Naydel (Flash)

Willy Nilly, pencils\inks by Frank Harry (Ghost Patrol)

Wonder Women of History story, pencils\inks by Paul Reinman (Atom)

Text story "Underwater Architect", -script by Ted Udall (Flash)

1 page Gerry filler by Harry Lampert (co-creater of the Flash)

Lady Danger, pencils\inks Carmine Infantino (Flash, Ghost Patrol, Black Canary, Atom)

photo Sensation87_zps5erzpozb.jpg

After Flash Comics cancellation, Kanigher, Fox, Broome, Hasen, Infantino, and Kubert contributed to All-American Westerns in 1949.Here are Infantino (Boy Commandos) and Kubert (Zantana) work on World's Finest Comics strips during 1949

World's Finest # 39, March/April, 1949.

photo WFC39_zps0rcpslrt.jpg

World's Finest # 40, May/June, 1949

photo WFC40a_zpso9iioke3.jpg

photo fdaedc7f-8178-4854-847b-45bf52f53481_zps7ggxxn23.jpg

Flash Comics Wheaties GiveawayNov. 1946The giveaway promotion was buy 2 boxes of Wheaties, get a free comic.

Issue features the Flash (Hasen) in a rare GA time travel story, Johnny Thunder (Hasen), Ghost Patrol (Harry), and Hawkman and Hawkgirl (Kubert). Cover by Irwin Hasen.

photo FLashFreebie_zpsyroijykt.jpg

The truncated format worked best for Frank Harry's 'Ghost Patrol'.

photo FLashFreebie-1_zps1duhliby.jpg

photo FLashFreebie-2_zpskccrnq0q.jpg

photo FLashFreebie-3_zpsk1y3ov9s.jpg

photo FLashFreebie-4_zpsepmzbvfh.jpg

photo FLashFreebie-5_zpskgxzmkhy.jpg

photo FLashFreebie-6_zpsmrqwyaw9.jpg

photo FLashFreebie-7_zps9rts7dfm.jpg

:news:

Wonder Woman In The Silver Age premieres in SA Section today!.

photo ww header_zpsnjentbl7.jpg

I start with issue #85 (same month as Showcase #4) and chronicle thru #120, while visiting a few detours on the journey. It's not an easy trek. Up until the origin issue #98, reading these stories is tedious -- mindless gangsters (and aliens), childish fantasies, ww identity revealing seekers, all recycled to lesser effect. The three stories per issue format was out of gas. Bob Kanigher, whom I have great respect for as a writer, clearly was not putting the 'A' work out there. Nor was Peters, who I never cared for, with the art. But you do see glimpses of SA shift in attitude in the 1957 issues with stories such as the origin of WW eagle breasted costume. In another story, we learn how she got her jeweled tiara. Although which comes first is confusing. With the introduction of Ross Andru (Pencils) and Mike Esposito (Inks) in #98, Kanigher finds inspiration to help the title morphs into a true Silver Age Classic. I'm really enjoying reading this era for the first time.

I hope you enjoy following along with me as we explore Wonder Woman In The Silver Age!

Edited by tabcom

Issue #104

Feb. 1949

Rating: 5

flashcomics104_1_zps155060de.jpg

FLASH COMICS CANCELLED!

By the end of the run in early 1949 the artwork in Flash Comics was getting pretty good and foreshadowed that of the early Silver Age.

:preach:

Edited by Hepcat