• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,545 posts in this topic

Dear Gator:

Should I seek counselling for my compulsion to acquire vintage collectibles, or should I continue devoting the money I'd spend on counselling to acquire more vintage comics and other memorabilia? I'm leaning to the latter course of action.

:insane:

its a good addiction...run with it!

I've always told myself that comics were preferable to heroin or cocaine. I've not been able to find any hard evidence though so I'm soliciting expert opinion.

(shrug)

more rewarding long term and has the advantage of being legal...win!

Collecting (saving) Comic Books has been known to add years to your life!

mm

Aside from the usual demands in character, first appearance, origin or what not in comics who is your favourite artist to collect and how would you rate the current top 5 artists to collect with regards to investment? Anyone working in comics from the 1930's thru 1955.

Aside from the usual demands in character, first appearance, origin or what not in comics who is your favourite artist to collect and how would you rate the current top 5 artists to collect with regards to investment? Anyone working in comics from the 1930's thru 1955.

This might be a tough one for GAtor...you might want to rephrase this as "Which artists played football for the Gators?"

Here is a question for you, Mr G:

As someone who was in the industry with a decent volume store and doing shows for a short time 25 years ago (before internet proliferation) and just stepped back in 3 or so years ago as more of an active collector it seems a lot has changed in that time. The availability of books is just on a completely different level. Back then I would scour through the comics newspaper (what was that thing called? CVM?) that came out for classified ads of books that were available or go to conventions or call Metro or Motor City or what not. I was not into gold back then but if you would go to a show in the midwest and see a copy of AF 15 it seemed like a big deal.

Now it feels like everything is at my fingertips all the time, to the point of overload, like a kid in a candy store, eating so much my stomach aches. A comic Augustus Gloop of sorts. I am curious how often you have seen, since these boards have been around, people like me come in hot and heavy, posting and buying and selling, and then burn out in a short period of time not to be heard from again?

As someone who was in the industry with a decent volume store and doing shows for a short time 25 years ago (before internet proliferation) and just stepped back in 3 or so years ago as more of an active collector it seems a lot has changed in that time. The availability of books is just on a completely different level. Back then I would scour through the comics newspaper (what was that thing called? CVM?) that came out for classified ads of books that were available or go to conventions or call Metro or Motor City or what not. I was not into gold back then but if you would go to a show in the midwest and see a copy of AF 15 it seemed like a big deal.

Now it feels like everything is at my fingertips all the time, to the point of overload, like a kid in a candy store, eating so much my stomach aches. A comic Augustus Gloop of sorts. I am curious how often you have seen, since these boards have been around, people like me come in hot and heavy, posting and buying and selling, and then burn out in a short period of time not to be heard from again?

Rick you seem like one of the good guys, PACE YOURSELF!

don't want to see you burn out, BB

Paul Gustavson is one of my fav ga artists.

From a cover collecting standpoint market loves:

Schomburg

Baker

Cole

Everitt

Fine

Great ga artists include

Kirby

Eisner

Barks

Frazetta

Wolverton

Raboy

Etcetc

Believe it or not, quite a bit. "Bitten" by the bug it is usually financial fatigue that sets in, sooner than later. It's like a smorgasbord out there, but one can only take so much

Speaking from the opinion of some one who has collected for 5 decades, slow down, calm down and smell the roses. Don't try to get everything all at once. Pace your self. Here is a word no one believes in any more "patience". Wait until the right copy come around for the right price. Believe me, it is WAY more fun than being the "winner" (usually means the chump that paid too much).

You will enjoy the ride a lot more and not burn out.

I agree. My collection has come out of long-range goals, giving myself 10 years to complete the multiple sets I am after. It eases the "pressure" and lets me focus here then there and after a few years, I inch closer on all fronts. It has helped and in hindsight, I am happy with what I've accumulated over the period. You've started with the right observation: given all that's available, it's hard to maintain focus and avoid frustration. Clearly or semi-fuzzily delineated targets help prevent having your head spin in every which direction.

Thanks for the good advice! Really have only been after it hot and heavy for about 15 months and made some strides. There are just certain books that I have on my list that are attainable financially but virtually never available for sale and other books that are really at a somewhat over the top price point for me (suspense 3, fantastic 3). So, it just feels a little futile at times.

Stopping and smelling the roses (the cool books I do have) is something I need to do more often.

Edited by Ricksneatstuff

Speaking from the opinion of some one who has collected for 5 decades, slow down, calm down and smell the roses. Don't try to get everything all at once. Pace your self. Here is a word no one believes in any more "patience". Wait until the right copy come around for the right price. Believe me, it is WAY more fun than being the "winner" (usually means the chump that paid too much).

I agree completely.

And, I approved this message.

I agree. My collection has come out of long-range goals, giving myself 10 years to complete the multiple sets I am after. It eases the "pressure" and lets me focus here then there and after a few years, I inch closer on all fronts. It has helped and in hindsight, I am happy with what I've accumulated over the period.

Like you I just continue pecking away at my Want List, to which I often add as well. But I don't even set long range targets, whether ten or however many years. I just keep buying the comics and other collectibles I like and thus adding to what I have.

:)

Do you think a book like adventure comics 247 will lose some value as it doesn't have the same appeal to the generation growing up now that it did to the past?

I feel the legion of superheroes isn't very relevant (from what I've seen anyway) to keep it a top 25 silver age key. Thoughts?

I agree completely.

And, I approved this message.

told him it was okay,eh Brian? lol

Do you think a book like adventure comics 247 will lose some value as it doesn't have the same appeal to the generation growing up now that it did to the past?

I feel the legion of superheroes isn't very relevant (from what I've seen anyway) to keep it a top 25 silver age key. Thoughts?

its managed a bit of a comeback lately

I have around 10K (could go a little bit higher) to spend on one book. What are my options in this price range for a Detective 38 or a pre-Robin with a Batman cover? I prefer restored books so I am looking for grade ranges and on which issues.

Also, there's a blue label 1.5 Tec 33 coming up for auction. Is that a book that is obtainable in the 10K range?

I have around 10K (could go a little bit higher) to spend on one book. What are my options in this price range for a Detective 38 or a pre-Robin with a Batman cover? I prefer restored books so I am looking for grade ranges and on which issues.

Also, there's a blue label 1.5 Tec 33 coming up for auction. Is that a book that is obtainable in the 10K range?

that entry level Tec 33 should hit 15k+

Extensive restored copies of 33,36,37 should be available under 10k. Maybe even a 35 if you get lucky