• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN #1 club
27 27

3,535 posts in this topic

For an X-Men #1...

Is $2,100 for a CGC 3.0 a good price?

http://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fbids%2Easp&id=1139505

I'm trying to figure out what's the sweet spot for buying an X-Men #1 with a budget under $3,500 to be patient and what to look for. I'm in no rush to buy the book.

In one breath, I don't mind a Stan Lee CGC Signature Series since he's the creator and writer of the book, and for that I'd be willing to get a low grade but also not pay a premium more than the $100 or so he charges to sign books and the fees for CGC certification, so to me his autograph adds about $150 in value.

I also a not sure what the lowest grade you can get while still having a book with front cover aesthetics and won't fall apart if you crack the CGC case. I feel that a 3.0 is that level. I also think maybe my ceiling is a CGC 5.0 as far as my budget goes.

And, I wonder where's the best place to buy the book if you're patient hunting, whether its:

AUCTIONS:

ComicLink

ComicConnect

Heritage

eBay

Or straight retail

LCS

Convention

Online-Dealer

I know a lot of folks go off of the CGC historical precedent of sales, which I think is actually a good barometer of how low and high as well as recent, books have sold for I don't buy into price guides or what owners are asking as their sales prices to be proper gauges of valuation.