• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,011 posts in this topic

Those books like real nice all lined up like that :)

And yes, been a bumper crop of PHMs in the last few CLink auctions.

Grabbed the ST74 since I haven't seen a nicer one in years:

st_74_zpshvjfjidx.jpg

Looking forward to your undercopy sale, need a few more raws to complete the 164 and it's been fun collecting "boardie books" (I put a note with the name with each book). Collected 7 of you so far but probably have a few more slabbed books that have come from others collections.

Probably help your sales thread if you give some specific start dates/times :whistle:

Good luck to all tonight!

-bc

tough book in decent grade. very nice copy. I'm yellous.

I'm just about finished scanning/grading for my undercopy sale. Looks like I will have eight total books, three CGC graded and the rest raw. They will cover the four "main" pre-hero titles of JIM, ST, TOS and TTA plus one non-Marvel that is sure to appeal to fans of pre-hero Marvels. They're all solid books, no resto that I can find, and range from VG- to CGC 6.5.

I'm planning to do the sale tomorrow (Monday) evening, hopefully around 7 pm Central time. I'll probably add the books to my FF #52 thread I started today, and will change the title to be appropriate. To be fair to everyone, I will unveil the books in the thread, no previews via PM.

I'm just about finished scanning/grading for my undercopy sale. Looks like I will have eight total books, three CGC graded and the rest raw. They will cover the four "main" pre-hero titles of JIM, ST, TOS and TTA plus one non-Marvel that is sure to appeal to fans of pre-hero Marvels. They're all solid books, no resto that I can find, and range from VG- to CGC 6.5.

I'm planning to do the sale tomorrow (Monday) evening, hopefully around 7 pm Central time. I'll probably add the books to my FF #52 thread I started today, and will change the title to be appropriate. To be fair to everyone, I will unveil the books in the thread, no previews via PM.

(thumbs u

-bc

Journey into Mystery 76 question.....

Did the dark circled copy come out before the white circle 12 Cent version or the other way around? Or was it more of an issue between print runs?

Dark circle version:

jim_76_cropped_zpszdgjhjmu.jpg

Pretty clearly see that the dark circled copy had 10 cents under it originally and then it was covered and the 12 cents was printed in the "M" in Mystery. The 10 cents was using the traditional font for the time (thick characters)

The 12 cent white label doesn't use the normal font (thin characters) that was used in the 10 cent and in later 12 centers:

jim_76_white_zpsqnagdpad.jpg

And where does this fit on the timeline or is it just a foreign copy that isn't part of the pricing change equation (more like the thin font of the white label):

jim_76_pence_zpsph26foi3.jpg

Thanks for any info!

-bc

EDIT: Just noticed that all the other PHM 10 to 12 cent price changes happened in Feb 62 (ST93, TOS26, TTA28, AAF9) - JIM76 was cover dated Jan 1962 and was on the newsstands in Nov '61 according to the GCD.

Edited by bc

I always assumed the dark circle version was first, but it really isn't any rarer.

I agree 100% - in fact, last time I looked there were more dark circled copies slabbed than the white circle.

What would be rare is one with the original 10cent price not printed over. Have to imagine a handful where printed before they decided to change the price :)

-bc

I always assumed the dark circle version was first, but it really isn't any rarer.

I always assumed so too. It had to have been literally printing when they decided to change the prices. My question is why they bothered to print a 12 cent version at all. If the overprint worked why not keep doing overprints, and if they wanted clean 12 centers why not print those? My guess is that they went back to print, but I'm just guessing.

Having searched out all three 10/12 cent overprint books, this JIM is by far the most common. The Gunsmoke Western is uncommon, the Love Romances is a flat out :censored: .

I'd love to see a 10 cent uncorrected version. It's be a grail piece for pre-hero collectors. But in all these years I've never heard of one. I guess all the printer employees wanted to keep their jobs...

I don't think I've posted this one here yet. A presentable copy of this book has long been high on my want list, and I was happy to get this one from Black Cat Comics back in May. It was in one of the "old new" holders, so I got it reholdered and am now able to sleep at night. lol

The new cases are very sturdy, but are difficult to get good scans of...

JIM01CGC40.jpg

I don't think I've posted this one here yet. A presentable copy of this book has long been high on my want list, and I was happy to get this one from Black Cat Comics back in May. It was in one of the "old new" holders, so I got it reholdered and am now able to sleep at night. lol

The new cases are very sturdy, but are difficult to get good scans of...

JIM01CGC40.jpg

Great comic!!! :applause:

surprised no one is talking about Marvel Monsters coming in 2017 and the resurrection of some of our favorite 10 story tall monsters! I am looking forward to the series and made me start adding to my collection. You never know what marvel has in store for some of these classic monsters.

surprised no one is talking about Marvel Monsters coming in 2017 and the resurrection of some of our favorite 10 story tall monsters! I am looking forward to the series and made me start adding to my collection. You never know what marvel has in store for some of these classic monsters.

Is this a new comic series? I don't follow moderns, so it would have slipped past me.

Orrgo (Strange Tales #90) has been appearing in some of the SHIELD comics and I don't think that has caused any price increases.

Is this a new comic series? I don't follow moderns, so it would have slipped past me.

Orrgo (Strange Tales #90) has been appearing in some of the SHIELD comics and I don't think that has caused any price increases.

Yes new marvel series starting in January of 2017, big reveal at NYCC

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/09/16/monsters-unleashed-marvel-crossover

Edited by 1p36DSA

Yes new marvel series starting in January of 2017, big reveal at NYCC

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/09/16/monsters-unleashed-marvel-crossover

Oh wow. Something new that sounds cool and a good idea??? This is not the Marvel I have come to know.