• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In the Shadow of the Atomic Age
6 6

2,391 posts in this topic

A couple Farrell's from the shadows.

Both are nice but I really like the 2 as I got that War Fury feel as well. What I really like are the gun, grenade, knife, matches, letter pages and photo laying around the fallen man. Looks like he decided to have a smoke and read a love letter from home at the wrong time!

Thanks, and I agree the personal items are a good touch.

A couple Farrell's from the shadows.

Both are nice but I really like the 2 as I got that War Fury feel as well. What I really like are the gun, grenade, knife, matches, letter pages and photo laying around the fallen man. Looks like he decided to have a smoke and read a love letter from home at the wrong time!

Thanks, and I agree the personal items are a good touch.

They caught my eye as well.

I don't know who drew all the Farrell war covers, but it's the same stubble chinned G.I. on most of them .

That stubble chinned guy gets around.

GCD doesn't show any artist info on any of the Farrell war books except for a couple "Iger Shop" notations.

Front and back of this one:

lf_zpsy01cczra.jpg

6e18cf87-6387-4416-bd69-d86e8afc7978_zpsauvuzmby.jpg

The interior is black and white and to a limited extent has been rewritten and redrawn to fit Australia -- e.g., a map in one panel has been changed from the U.S. to Australia, the head of government is referred to as the prime minister rather than the president, the rewording of the back cover, and some other minor changes. When I get a chance, I want to compare it to the U.S. edition page by page.

Hmmmmm. If you're a citizen of Australia, how can you be British first and be tolerant of all nationalities? There's a bit of a contradiction there.

:preach:

In contrast, here is the back cover from the Canadian version.

Is%20This%20Tomorrow%20B_zpshrdfeips.jpg

Alright, I'll bite. I've never expressed interest in them. I see RM has them, Damonwad is chasing them and AStrange has high grade copies.

What am I missing? :popcorn:

I latched onto Farrell war as a favorite when my goal was to have every pre-code war book (I've since abandoned that pipe dream, lol). Why? They are the epitome of over-the-top. Racist? Check. Jingoistic? You bet. Plot? Thin, at best, but always fast-paced. In short, they are insane. Almost every story is just fun to read. One time on a whim I counted the number of times the "G" slur was used in a random issue: 34.

Alright, I'll bite. I've never expressed interest in them. I see RM has them, Damonwad is chasing them and AStrange has high grade copies.

What am I missing? :popcorn:

I latched onto Farrell war as a favorite when my goal was to have every pre-code war book (I've since abandoned that pipe dream, lol). Why? They are the epitome of over-the-top. Racist? Check. Jingoistic? You bet. Plot? Thin, at best, but always fast-paced. In short, they are insane. Almost every story is just fun to read. One time on a whim I counted the number of times the "G" slur was used in a random issue: 34.

Very non-politically correct to say the least. I enjoy the stories (as far as 6-8 pagers go) though the art is noticeably better on some than others.

Definitely some over the top dialog and good old pre-code violence.

Here are a couple examples. The Koreans often make some goofy comment as they die. Usually something like "I die!".

G%20I%20In%20Battle%203%20Page_zpsga6hcgxk.jpg

Fighting%20Man%206%20Panel_zpsa6rjne7r.jpg