• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ART DAY - Movie Poster original paintings!
1 1

366 posts in this topic

Yeah, most likely, but that doesn't change the fact they sold and likely for excellent money at the time. They were not ones to cheap out when paying their talent for originals, as you probably know

Bidding has begun for the HA illustration art auction and the E.T. painting has an opening bid of $100,000 and the footnote states "[l]ots bearing estimates and without Consignor Reserve shall open at Auctioneer's discretion (usually 25% to 60% of the low estimate)". I don't usually track fine art auctions so this is the first time I see such a notation but I assume it's commonplace? And it means that if the opening bid is not met before the live session, the auctioneer can take bids as low as $25,000?

Bidding has begun for the HA illustration art auction and the E.T. painting has an opening bid of $100,000 and the footnote states "[l]ots bearing estimates and without Consignor Reserve shall open at Auctioneer's discretion (usually 25% to 60% of the low estimate)". I don't usually track fine art auctions so this is the first time I see such a notation but I assume it's commonplace? And it means that if the opening bid is not met before the live session, the auctioneer can take bids as low as $25,000?

No, it means that the opening bid/de facto reserve has already been set at 25-60% of the low estimate. In this case, $100K (50% of the low estimate). If the opening bid is not met before the live session, the first bid in the live session will have to be $100K or else the lot will pass.

No, it means that the opening bid/de facto reserve has already been set at 25-60% of the low estimate. In this case, $100K (50% of the low estimate). If the opening bid is not met before the live session, the first bid in the live session will have to be $100K or else the lot will pass.

Then why does it also say that reserve, if any, will post on 10/5/2016? Just boiler plate language?

Then why does it also say that reserve, if any, will post on 10/5/2016? Just boiler plate language?

Yes.

Here's my lone SDCC 2016 pick-up - the Enrico De Seta original art for the 1966 spy thriller "OSS 117: Mission to Tokyo". As a huge fan of '60s-era spy series (007, Man from U.N.C.L.E., Mission: Impossible, etc.), this one was right up my alley, and it's a striking example to boot, especially in person. Enjoy!

photo Enrico De Seta OSS 117 A Tokyo Si Muore Movie Poster Painting 1966.jpg

Found an image online of the published poster:

photo Enrico De Seta OSS 117 A Tokyo Si Muore Movie Poster Painting Published 1966.jpg

Mitch Itkowitz has recently updated his CAF to include a couple of movie poster originals that are not currently displayed on his web-site, Graphic Collectibles.

One of these is an Italian one-sheet version for the 1967 (non-Horror) Hammer Films production of 'Viking Queen'.

Worth a look.

Very cool!

As an aside, the Italian title for the film is more alluring...

(I'm no translator but basically):

"OSS 117: In Tokyo, You Die" lol

Outstanding, Gene. (thumbs u

Thanks, gents! As well as those of you who commented on CAF. It's hard to believe that you can get a fully rendered movie poster painting like this for the same price as a third-tier Bronze Age panel page. :ohnoez:

"Never Say Never" James Bond art by Tom Chantrell at £3,750 (likely to have been commissioned for a video sleeve tand may not have been used):

(Sorry, link I had doesn't work . . . just use the search facility on the previous link).

Edited by Terry Doyle

"Never Say Never" James Bond art by Tom Chantrell at £3,750 (likely to have been commissioned for a video sleeve tand may not have been used):

(Sorry, link I had doesn't work . . . just use the search facility on the previous link).

The real question is whether Gene bought it on a hot tip ;)

The real question is whether Gene bought it on a hot tip ;)

:popcorn:

It's hard to believe that you can get a fully rendered movie poster painting like this for the same price as a third-tier Bronze Age panel page. :ohnoez:

Definitely! If I knew then what I know now, I would have ventured into movie poster art a long time ago . . .

Instead of having a Man Cave filled with comic-book art, how about a Cinema Room (sufficing with a large-scale flat-screen TV) adorned with movie poster original paintings? Would look cool and be guaranteed to impress all your friends!

And don't forget to stock up on the popcorn . . .