• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lynn Varley quest

10 posts in this topic

Funny but true story...

I went to college around the NYC area when Dark Knight Strikes back first came out.  Frank Miller was doing a signing at Midtown Comic, this was right when everyone was starting to find things out because of the internet, before you only heard about stuff like this because you either shopped at Midtown or you read it in Wizard Magazine.

Anyway, they were promoting the signing with Frank Miller AND LYNN VARLEY!!!!  I recall this like it was yesterday, I was so excited about meeting the Dark Knight team.  I was always a fan of Varley's colors, I can recall reading the first Dark Knight TPB and feeling like I had never seen a comic colored like that.  And I had just starting reading Sin City and her covers were amazing.

I get to the signing, this was for issue 1 and the line was massive. I wait and wait and when I finally get a look at the table, I just see Frank Signing?!  As I get closer, I see Lynn Varley sitting in a chair away from the signing table, and no one was asking her for a signature or anything!?  When it was my turn, I tried getting her attention but the handlers moved me along, she just looked at me and smiled.  Now, she may have smiled because I am such a good looking guy and thought I was cute, OR, she thought it was funny that anyone would want her signature, when Frank Miller is signing....or both may be true!

But I know she was billed for this one signing but pretty sure she never a single book that day.

Edited by littlebull