• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
32 32

13,603 posts in this topic

Johnny is still on fire for the cover of #2; he is drawn normally, but then with fire outlining him.

Johnny is indeed not on fire on the cover of 50. To my surprise, he is not on fire on the cover of 48 or 49 either! Perhaps to emphasize how powerless the FF is against Galactus and the Silver Surfer?

But there is one earlier cover with zero flames...

Johnny is still on fire for the cover of #2; he is drawn normally, but then with fire outlining him.

Johnny is indeed not on fire on the cover of 50. To my surprise, he is not on fire on the cover of 48 or 49 either! Perhaps to emphasize how powerless the FF is against Galactus and the Silver Surfer?

FF #36

but issue 2 it's the fire from the Skrull gun. That should not count...in my geeky opinion :P

I was gonna guess #39 when the team fought doom without their powers but I'm wrong.

The cover I had in mind when I made up the question was #97, the Creature from the Lost Lagoon, with the FF at the beach and the monster coming up out of the water behind them. But upon looking it up, Johnny's hand is on fire. I stumped myself!

I remember perfectly the scene, as it’s one of my favorite issues. I wouldn’t have voted it. :)

But I was almost sure #8 had Johnny not inflamed: the Puppet Master tricked me! :lol:

On a second thought, it could be #86 "The victims", as there’s Dr. Doom looming over them, and obviously they are not fighting, so: flame off?

And the other one is maybe #101? – the scene is once again a meditative one, and very poignant as it marks the end of the Silver age in some way.