• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Podcast and Documentary

6 posts in this topic

My first LCS closed last year. I was quick shocked to drive past it and the sign was no longer there. One of the very talented employees there made a documentary of the story before its closing was even a thought. When the store's closing was announced, he started doing podcast. He interviewed several former employees, owners and customers. It is chronicling the stores history in a sense. While I was part of this community on a very small scale for a short period, it is a very interesting listen to. Perhaps, in part because the host is articulate, is an active participate and brings up interesting points while interviewing his guest. It is researched and planned.

There are enough people here from NY that may have even visited the shop. However, I feel like the podcast goes beyond that and is truly a snapshot of any given LCS in America. Season 1 is really about the store, Alternate Realities closing. The episodes progress through the store's history, the different owners, the business and of course, its customers and employees. There is a lot of discussion peppered throughout about how the store could be saved or even ran differently.

Season 2 which I am half way through is equally as interesting and focuses more on collecting. It doesn't try to be a collecting guide. So far, it is more about exploring the collector's nature and different markets. There hasn't been much conversation about actual comics up to this point but my next episode to listen to is New Frontier deconstruct. I just finished watching the movie to get prepared.

Beware, that these podcasts do not really discuss too many comics which is perhaps why I feel like they are so universal. They highlight the business side, collector's path and nature, but most importantly the friendships made along the way.

So if everyone even read this very long winded post, here are the links:

http://www.flatsquirrelproductions.com/podcast - Season 1 appears to only be on iTunes. I have an intel based Windows system and downloaded Itunes to hear the podcast. It works fine on my Microsoft computer. Season 2 is in two places. So I am listen to this at work, yes!

I have yet to watch the documentary but will be doing so in the next few weeks. Hopefully, you guys enjoy them as much as I have. If anyone has any other Podcast like these, please post them as I am almost done with these and will need to fill the void.

Edited by nocutename