• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Todays Underground by freak brothers

129 posts in this topic

scan0012_zpsec6umnas.jpg

Nobody's figured out the printings on this one. It was one I used to keep out an eye for new cover pics to try to figure out, but there are many variants. Is Sir Real's site down? He had a variant posted that's different than the couple I've got.

I saw those your threads about the origins of MM and FB1 (by coincidence a little higher in Felix's posts), where you were gunning to nail down the first printings of those publications. Care to give a little summary on where you stand on those stand to date?

PS hi Felix, keep'em coming.

I've got no idea on Dr. Atomic's Marijuana Multiplier, I just noticed there were many printings not noted so I was trying to collect cover images to compare (obviously it appears different people made new printings, probably from a copy), it never went further than that. As for FB#1, as posted somewhere in the Underground Comix thread in the Mag. section, always keep an eye out for a FB#1 1st print that has black smudges on the cover around the cops/near the stairwell. I've only seen 2 or 3 of them since I've become aware of them. According to the printer, Moriaty, it was the first run of the first printing. As for the rest of the print run, in one of the old forums there was a rather long thread about each FB issue and there were multiple scans in #1 that weren't noted in the guides. Many had different color differences on the back cover, some with the same price on the cover. I believe the thread was saved, but many of the scans were missing making it only partially helpful.

EDIT: Found the saved old forum.

Here's the FB #1 thread: https://headcomix.info/forum/index.php/topic,449.0.html

The FB #2 thread: https://headcomix.info/forum/index.php/topic,457.0.html

Here's the thread (or one of them) showing the different back covers of the Fat Freddy's Cat.: https://headcomix.info/forum/index.php/topic,254.0.html

The Big #1 thread: https://headcomix.info/forum/index.php/topic,636.0.html

The DAMM thread (notice my copy has no cover price): https://headcomix.info/forum/index.php/topic,653.0.html

Edited by 50 Cent #II (1st)

:bump:

I love early R. Crumb, Freak Brothers, Zap Comix... and those oddball underground comix like Feds n Heads, Skull #1, Insect Fear #1, Bogeyman #1, Douglas Comix, or a copy of Doomsday Comics (a CGC 9.2 is parked on the 'Bay for $485)

Doomsday Comics #1 (Black Cat). One of about 100 surviving copies pulled out of the trash after a payment dispute with the printer.

This one still has the poster intact.

wwchi12doomsday.jpg

Slow Death Funnies #1 1st. Benefit book for an ecology center that according to the Comix Joint website (2013) the center rejected the book after it was published, leaving [Ron] Turner to sell the 20,000 copies on his own.

It was published just a week before the first Earth Day 1970.

SlowDeath1CGC94OWW001.jpg

I will be posting Rand Holmes books over the next several days. I like what M Steven Fox of Comixjoint had to say about this ....."It's a shame that Fog City Comics was pretty forgettable, being produced in Canada with native artists and all, but the series is still essential to fans of Rand Holmes (and anyone who is not a Holmes fan is a insufficiently_thoughtful_person)."

scan0043_zpswsimzkbv.jpg

I will be posting Rand Holmes books over the next several days. I like what M Steven Fox of Comixjoint had to say about this ....."It's a shame that Fog City Comics was pretty forgettable, being produced in Canada with native artists and all, but the series is still essential to fans of Rand Holmes (and anyone who is not a Holmes fan is a insufficiently_thoughtful_person)."

On the main UG thread, recently someone was surprised by Roger May's passing. Perhaps, some members also unaware that Rand Holmes died about 15 years ago in 2002.

I love his stuff. It is a little like Wally Wood with a good dash of Crumb thrown in. Thanks Felix for posting his artwork.

Edited by dannyboycheapyboy

These are terrific copies of great comix. Thanks Felixthecat and everyone for taking the time to post them. It's especially nice to see great examples from Howard's collection. He really loved the genre and had encyclopedic knowledge of it, and he also had a great eye for beautiful copies. His passing was a loss for the hobby.

I'm a fan of the late Rick Griffin's exquisite work, and haven't seen any posted yet. This one's oversized and autographed.

utopia.jpg

Love that book. I went digging thru boxes and could only find this...This is the print mint version of this book. There is an oversized version that came out a year earlier. Most copies were bound into Surfer Magazine. Quite a few of the books in this thread are from Howards collection including the copy of Air Pirates #1 and Tortoise and the Hare.

scan0047_zpsdouvv7fv.jpg

There are only four copies of this book in CGC 9.8. I know that 2 of these copies are owned by board members (including me). I wonder who owns the 2 remaining copies....for me it doesn't get much better than a 1st print underground in 9.8.

scan0052_zps9sju2oxq.jpg

There are only four copies of this book in CGC 9.8. I know that 2 of these copies are owned by board members (including me). I wonder who owns the 2 remaining copies....

The Sucha News copy of #5 garnered 9.8. I bought all the first print Sucha News available from Metropolis c 2012.

Overpaid for some n underpaid for some, but the #5 was the most expensive.