• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IDW Transformers G1 Continuity Appreciation Thread
4 4

523 posts in this topic

Jam sketches/commissions are great! I like what Yoshi said about contacting the artists before the con. I'll add if you have any rudimentary art skills, rough out what you'd like before hand, that way the artist has a solid idea what you want, and not try to understand what you want. I started a jam to recreate the scene of the deactivated Autobots from the classic Marvel Transformers #5. Worked out well until I had Jose Delbo add to it. It was either a language or concept issue that lead to Huffer not being in line with the rest (Not to mention the horrible round, not square truck cab/hood)

http://art.cafimg.com/images/Category_45039/subcat_92050/YPnGzvXe_1505161547181gpadd.jpg#.V-ROv5dNPic.link

I still like it.

I just wanted to pop in and introduce myself. This is Kris/augustus22/SketchCollector from various other social media sites we may have run into each other on as collectors. My Transformers collection, both comics and figures, centers around the IDW universe. I primarily focus on high-grade (9.4/9.6+) IDW comics, original art/sketch covers, and faithful representations of the IDW characters made into plastic. I'm happy to buy slabbed (CGC only due to OCD reasons ;-)) but I prefer to submit them myself. I'll post some of my collection here for those that are interested. Thanks UltraMaximus for the awesome thread and sharing all of your knowledge of these books. I started collecting a little over 2 years ago and have been playing catch-up.

I just wanted to pop in and introduce myself. This is Kris/augustus22/SketchCollector from various other social media sites we may have run into each other on as collectors. My Transformers collection, both comics and figures, centers around the IDW universe. I primarily focus on high-grade (9.4/9.6+) IDW comics, original art/sketch covers, and faithful representations of the IDW characters made into plastic. I'm happy to buy slabbed (CGC only due to OCD reasons ;-)) but I prefer to submit them myself. I'll post some of my collection here for those that are interested. Thanks UltraMaximus for the awesome thread and sharing all of your knowledge of these books. I started collecting a little over 2 years ago and have been playing catch-up.

Welcome :)

Glad you could make it here Augustus, where it seems we are spreading the good word of Primus and the warning of Mortilus,

I know him from outside this thread and I'm going to have to out Augustus as the owner of a 9.9 CGC All Hail Megatron Coller Killing Joke Swipe Variant! (share a pic!!!!! It's awesome!!!)

Welcome to the boards!

Edited by UltraMaximus

Thanks for the welcome guys! Big fan of your work, Yoshi, on Transmissions.

UltraMaximus, I guess I'll start there then. Here is what's currently hanging on the wall of my office:

AHMKillingJokeWall.jpg

It's definitely the prize of my comic collection. I bought it off of eBay right before the prices started heating up. I wish The Killing Joke was a 9.9 as well but I'm not dropping that kind of money. Maybe I'll be lucky enough to have one graded myself at that one day.

To add to this, this is my latest slabbed purchase:

SpotlightArceeSlab.jpg

This is a book that I had been looking for for quite some time with no luck. I recently bought an ungraded one but found that, while the cover is gorgeous, the back has the awful waves that you get on some of the "plasticy" IDW covers. So I worked with the guy that had this one for sale and a small stack of others to get decent shipping from Canada. This is a beautiful 9.8 in a new CGC holder.

Welcome to the thread! That's a gorgeous copy of AHM #1. I really dig this cover homage. A nice copy of Killing Joke to go with it. I have one 10 book and it was one of the Soundwave RI books. I don't think I can post the pic here (different grading company), but I was stoked. I enjoyed a lot of the sketch covers for the Spotlight series, so nice to see that I'm not the only one who gets those slabbed. I think the high grade copies are sharp looking in the slab.

Welcome to the thread! That's a gorgeous copy of AHM #1. I really dig this cover homage. A nice copy of Killing Joke to go with it. I have one 10 book and it was one of the Soundwave RI books. I don't think I can post the pic here (different grading company), but I was stoked. I enjoyed a lot of the sketch covers for the Spotlight series, so nice to see that I'm not the only one who gets those slabbed. I think the high grade copies are sharp looking in the slab.

Thanks and congrats on the 10! That's a rare thing indeed!

I look at the alternate covers (RI/RE, in particular due to the rarity) as pieces of art, since I'm collecting them for the covers. After all, I already have reader copies as the regular and subscription covers (as well as the trades). So I slab them for protection and to frame them. At that point I no longer have to worry about damaging them by handling too much and they are easy to display.

Out today are the final 2 issues of the currently running 2 best TF titles.

Transformers (Robots In Disguise) #57

Transformers More than Meets the Eye #57.

As stated earlier, the release dates surrounding these books in the Titans Return arc have been all over the place. One last correction on that reading order, read Titans Return, then TF #56 and 57, the story then takes place over in MTMTE #56 and 57.

Both felt FORCED and rushed in their stories and James Roberts gives a nice little reminder that he will pick up with Lost Light #1!!!!!

Next up are the Revolution One Shots!

Not having Titans Returns wrapped up before they began Revolution is a real cluster! I'm reading them as I get them but I will probably reread once I have them all. The only other solution would have been to queue them up and just be behind. For example, I just read Revolutions #1 and there's Windblade with absolutely no information on how she got there because I don't have the issues where that happens. I'm disappointed that they couldn't work this out better. How can IDW screw that up? Commitments, delays, etc. I'm sure.

FYI, if you're looking to read Revolutions, here's a reading order: http://www.howtolovecomics.com/2016/09/12/idw-hasbro-revolution-reading-order/

On my CGC collection, I'm getting 8 new slabs today fresh from CGC. Overall I'm very happy with the grades. Out of the 8, I only expected 2 to be better. One of them I'll probably crack, press, and resubmit. All will be shared once received.

I'm seeing two different release dates for TF #57. Today (9/28) and 10/5. Previews and Graham Crackers say today, and Midtown is saying 10/5. It's not on my invoice for my pull list at Graham Crackers.

Looking at Midtown, it's possible that the RI issue was delayed. They're only showing the regular and sub covers in stock.

I'm seeing two different release dates for TF #57. Today (9/28) and 10/5. Previews and Graham Crackers say today, and Midtown is saying 10/5. It's not on my invoice for my pull list at Graham Crackers.

Looking at Midtown, it's possible that the RI issue was delayed. They're only showing the regular and sub covers in stock.

I thought I was looking at something wrong as well, but the regular book for Transformers #57 is showing as not being available until next week. Diamond delays? Production delays? Hasbro getting their grubby fingers even more involved?

Transformers 57 Midtown

I thought I was looking at something wrong as well, but the regular book for Transformers #57 is showing as not being available until next week. Diamond delays? Production delays? Hasbro getting their grubby fingers even more involved?

Transformers 57 Midtown

I was talking about MTMTE, but either way, it looks like Midtown is quite confused. Look at the image for the RI cover on TF #57, it's the MTMTE #57 RI and MTMTE isn't showing an RI. I guess I'll see tomorrow when I go to my LCS.

I think I got confused somewhere, and I apologize if that spread to anyone else. My MTMTE 57 books are all in my pull list including the RI.

Yeah, I see that about the swapped covers. Hopefully, it's nothing to sweat over. I've seen that on other sites before.

Both felt FORCED and rushed in their stories and James Roberts gives a nice little reminder that he will pick up with Lost Light #1!!!!!

I'm guessing that Lost Light #1 will be a reintroduction of the cast before getting on with the story.

I'm guessing that Lost Light #1 will be a reintroduction of the cast before getting on with the story.

We have Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye Revolution One Shot before Lost Light #1, which will likely be the "Rebirth" ala DC style bridge for readers.

I did hear a rumor though.......

Supposedly they are DEAD and are chasing after the Lost Light as Ghosts, and that is why Rodimus is now purple.

I'm sorry if you've seen these already but here we go for this group.

My newly graded MTMTE #1E 9.8:

mtmte1e.jpg

My set of MTMTE #1 issues graded at 9.8:

MTMTE1set.jpg

Nice set! One of my favorite Transformer covers. Can't go wrong with a Justice League #1 homage.