• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,480 posts in this topic

As I posted in this forum some time ago, I have been a sports cards collector for some time, until I decided a few months ago that comics reflect much better my cultural interests and trigger best my collecting instinct (and compulsion lol).

I spent the last 6 months or so doing my research, reading about comics history, getting into the Silver Age stories and art by reading Omnibuses and getting familiar with the artists and the significance of different issues. I know enough to know that I know nothing, but thats what makes all this an interesting challenge.

I am more than happy today to officially kick off my collection by receiving and showing my ticket to this great club, one that I have been following and studying for months :-).

(I need to purchase a legal size scanner - this one is a composition of two different scans!)

AF15_CGC45_smaller.jpg

Nice! Must have taken some nice Mickey Mantles to get that.

There were about 150 comics. I found some pretty awesome comics IMO. Here is a group shot of some of the top issues.

ouV0FIsg.jpg

I haven't been able to find out too much about them personally. I know they lived there a very long time and had both passed away and the house sat vacant for a while before the family decided to sell it and everything inside. What I can't wrap my head around is how this box of comics came together. With so many keys in it I have to believe he was a collector of some sort, but the way they were sort of stuffed in a box without being bagged or boarded and in the location of the house I found them it's honestly really blowing my mind. Because if he was a collector he would have known their worth and should have stored them differently. One of the most confusing, lucky, fortuitous things I have ever been a part of.

Most of the keys are surprisingly in good shape

:o

:whee:

If you found these raw and not bagged or boarded, I for one think you are looking at a pure Original Owner collection. They all almost certainly are unrestored. Congrats. We are all going to drool as you show us close ups of the comics.

I also just posted closeups of what I consider the main keys of the lot in the "whats new in your collection" in the silver age forum, Thanks everybody! It's a really exciting find for sure

Congrats on your super spectacular find! :applause:

Looks like a little press job probably wouldn't hurt some of those books. That is, if you are into that sort of thing. :devil:

Hey everyone, decided to join the collectors board today. I have been collecting comics for about 7 years now (I have done alot of buying, selling, and trading on instagram for the past 2 years) and thought it would be a good idea to chat and discuss with all of the other board members on here. I first want to start off by talking about the Amazing Fantasy 15 I traded for a few months ago (why else would I be in the Amazing Fantasy 15 club) ;) anways, I got it signed by Stan Lee at Fan Expo Canada and sent to CGC (hoping it comes back a 1.5-2.0). The thing that worries me is that CGC might consider the tape on the spine restoration (even thought its not holding any loose peices together, but just preventing it from anything happening to the spine) I have called CGC numerous times, but its a different answer evreytime. What do you guys think? Hopefully you can access the picture of my copy that I uploaded...... search?q=instagram+canadian+comics+amazing+fantasy+15&rlz=1C1CHZL_enCA711CA711&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=662&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwik6pGplrrPAhWh6oMKHZhCD_MQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=eOFBLw2cBgMzUM%3A

WTTB CC;

Tape is generally not considered to be restoration unless it is archival tape which can be safely affixed to the books.

Regular tape which can indeed do damage to the book going forward, on the other hand, is not considered to be restoration and will simply be noted on the label as having tape.

Go figure! :screwy:

Thanks for the response, it is too bad that the original owner had to put tape on it, It dosent even really bother me that the tape will lower the grade, just would be really disappointing if it ends up being restored......... I traded pretty much all of my grails for it and have alot riding on the grade it comes back as.

Thanks for the response, it is too bad that the original owner had to put tape on it, It dosent even really bother me that the tape will lower the grade, just would be really disappointing if it ends up being restored......... I traded pretty much all of my grails for it and have alot riding on the grade it comes back as.