• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,267 posts in this topic

I'd like people's opinion on the Laird sketches that this guy is selling. Legit or not? He's got 8 or so listed.

I'd definitely avoid. I suppose a few look possibly legit but some of the signatures on the TMNT-Ghostbusters copies are horrid...I've never seen Peter sign that sloppy. And it seems fishy that they got Peter's signatures on very recent books like Batman-TMNT which, with Peter not going to shows, raises a big question about "how" these signatures were acquired. They'd pretty much have to camp out at Shellback and wait for Peter to show up unless they know him personally.

Did you send the seller an email asking where Peter signed all these? Would be interesting to see what is said.

I call BS on these. If Peter did draw these then he must have been sipping from a flask between sketches.

I should know within the week. We are still a month out, so there is still plenty of time to get our ducks in a row. (thumbs u

Any updates on this? Although it's a month away, I would be flying in and renting a car, so the sooner I book the cheaper the trip for me.

I've confirmed that I'll be going and I've got someone lined up to help with the witness/facilitator duties. I'm waiting on final approval from the SS director. I'll be sure to check back in when I hear.

I'd like people's opinion on the Laird sketches that this guy is selling. Legit or not? He's got 8 or so listed.

I'd definitely avoid. I suppose a few look possibly legit but some of the signatures on the TMNT-Ghostbusters copies are horrid...I've never seen Peter sign that sloppy. And it seems fishy that they got Peter's signatures on very recent books like Batman-TMNT which, with Peter not going to shows, raises a big question about "how" these signatures were acquired. They'd pretty much have to camp out at Shellback and wait for Peter to show up unless they know him personally.

Did you send the seller an email asking where Peter signed all these? Would be interesting to see what is said.

I call BS on these. If Peter did draw these then he must have been sipping from a flask between sketches.

Agreed. Why would you sketch on a book you didn't work on? (only via the Turtles name).

Kevin, sure, but Peter? Odd indeed.

I sold my sketched copy of 29 last year, and I don't remember another time in recent history when one was for sale. I know Laird signed and sketched a big lot of them over a weekend in 2008. He even wrote the date and exact time of the sketch. Here's the one I had. I remember one of the lot of them was a full body sketch.

tmnt29_zps9wevyugx.jpg

I should know within the week. We are still a month out, so there is still plenty of time to get our ducks in a row. (thumbs u

Any updates on this? Although it's a month away, I would be flying in and renting a car, so the sooner I book the cheaper the trip for me.

I've confirmed that I'll be going and I've got someone lined up to help with the witness/facilitator duties. I'm waiting on final approval from the SS director. I'll be sure to check back in when I hear.

YES!!!!!!! :whee:

I wish I could have seen the auctions in question....what were they? Looks like they are all down?

I just clicked the link above and it's still up. (shrug)

I wish I could have seen the auctions in question....what were they? Looks like they are all down?

I just clicked the link above and it's still up. (shrug)

I see it now....hmm...very odd. Seller is from CA so quite the trip to ME. Most of the sigs look OK, but the head sketches seem off....plus the red and green sharpies look nice and faded so YUCK! Pete's large free head sketches are pretty rough sometimes, I've had a couple look close to that but there is something off about most of them. Also about 50% of the time he does them facing to the left....odd he has them all facing the same direction.

Rare TMNT volume 4 #29 on the bay. I bit pricey though

https://www.ebay.com/itm/391564155630

Might be a high price but someone's willing to pay it. Wow!

and I thought the starting bid way high. Congrats to the buyer and seller (mostly the seller)

That is a crazy selling price...I can't believe it went that high. And it even had some minor damage to it.

At nearly $900, don't be surprised to see a few more pop up soon.

Very surprised at the price. The skeptic in me thinks this may be a price manipulation scam. I guess we'll see soon.

These are all apparently PSA/DNA certified according to the auction. I am not sure exactly how that process works for verifying signatures/sketches but it seems like a lot of work to get the books, spend time faking the sketches and signatures and spend time faking the PSA/DNA labels and certificate #. If you look at his other auctions he has a ton of PSA/DNA legit stuff. Why go through all that work for $150? Or simply wait it out until PSA/DNA lists the certificate # on there site. I say way too much work for a small amount of money, I say they are all legit IMO.

PSA/DNA is just someones opinion. As a collectors of sports memorabilia....PSA/DNA would never be in my collection. To me it is on the bottom of the totem pole as far as certifications go.

Any time PSA/DNA comes up I have to post this, sorry.

17fxzd14wfbk3jpg.jpg

PSA/DNA certified this signature as authentic. Baseballs were made with Horsehide, not leather until 1970. Even if this was an early prototype, Cobb was dead about 9 years before the first such ball was even made. There are also a bunch of other reasons that ball was made after Cobb's death, including the Wilson logo etc, but all that matters is PSA/DNA and HA thought it was legit.

Cool! I'll be watching. I like some of those prints!

Just as a heads up, I did get approval for Signature Series for the final Shellback signing in October. Right now, I'm only going to provide witnessing services for people who will be at the signing. Please, no mail-ins.

The reason for this is because the signing is strictly limited to a certain number of items per person. Rather than leaving a lot of people disappointed after the fact, I'm going to try to manage expectations before the signing. We did this for the signing in May and it worked out really well.

So if you'll be at the signing and you're interested in having your items witnessed for Signature Series, do me a favor and send me a PM with the books you plan on bringing so I can get a rough count.

Thanks!