• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

So, the comic companies are indeed raping the industry with short term greedy decisions instead of building a stable fan base and earning loyalty. There's less single collectors of books and more speculators who never read the books, buy multiples to resell and encase 'em in plastic. Comics are a commodity not to be manhandled and enjoyed by children of all ages, and it's mainly grown middle aged men who are the day traders.

Also, this is hilariously hyperbolic and pretty ridiculous. Again, shop owners...chime in here. Wednesday, I see all ages buying from their pulls to read. Only time the spec people come out are for hyped to flip that same day. Otherwise, people are buying to read and CGC still represents a tiny fraction of the people buying, reading and collecting comics.

Do you think all those variant issues being printed are for readers? How many variant copies are being printed versus regular copies? Tons when you consider Loot Crate, store exclusives, etc.

I'm not convinced this is a small fraction of the market, otherwise the publishers wouldn't be wasting their money on it.

While I understand what you are saying here, but Loot Crate alone is a bait and switch. Think about the business model there.

Store variants rely on enough suckers to buy them thinking they will appreciate or you can flip them fast enough for a profit. The stores make a killing on the book after that they don't care if the book appreciates or not.(Although some hold some books and hope they do.)

Nobody talks about the books they don't sell or cant sell. They only talk about the % of books that they do sell.

Inventory management is a skill many never learn. Just look at ebay any day for slabs and piles of comics dumped on their from speculators who lost just dumped them somewhere else.

In the end a lot of talk here is just talk. There are a few guys that are just plain killing it and those are the ones you want to pay attention too. Get to know them. The other 85% just ignore.

Store variants rely on enough suckers to buy them thinking they will appreciate

Or, well...

Customers that shop in that store buy them, because...

well...

They shop there.

No speculatory motivations.

Just a purchase.

( and they advertise the store )

I don't buy any variants at all, By the time you buy the book, send it in to have it graded and get it listed, the book has already tanked. Everything has it's time.

Or it's STILL an advertising vehicle for the shop that commissioned it...

Everything isn't about flipping moderns.

In regards to Postal the Top Cow series, this was posted earlier today.

Matt Hawkins

· Los Angeles, CA, United States ·

Some fantastic news coming up about a media adaptation of one of ours. I can't talk about it yet...but in separate news if you have a copy of the 1st printing of this I'd hold onto it =p

In regards to Postal the Top Cow series, this was posted earlier today.

Matt Hawkins

· Los Angeles, CA, United States ·

Some fantastic news coming up about a media adaptation of one of ours. I can't talk about it yet...but in separate news if you have a copy of the 1st printing of this I'd hold onto it =p

Was he specifically referencing Postal? He could be referring to Think Tank.

Postal #1s have been selling for over cover for awhile now. Hawkins tweeted about a few of his series getting optioned a few months back. The #1 variant is the one to get. Those covers have already been selling for at least $30 a piece. Love the story!

Postal #1s have been selling for over cover for awhile now. Hawkins tweeted about a few of his series getting optioned a few months back. The #1 variant is the one to get. Those covers have already been selling for at least $30 a piece. Love the story!

Postal was "informally" announced by as optioned in around June-July 2015.

It's a shame these shows aren't on platforms available to larger audience. I don't think a lot of people who would watch will have access. Powers was a better show than Agents of Shield, IMO. But it was on a limited platform and is now cancelled.

POWERS and COMMUNITY were on limited platforms and were cancelled due to the fact that no one watches PLAYSTATION TV or YAHOOTV at all. The three big streaming services currently are NETFLIX, AMAZON PRIME and HULU PLUS. I use all three, along with my internet connection, to watch what I want. I have no need for cable or the ridiculous bill. This is the new reality of TV which is why HBO GO is a thing along with CBS pimping out the new STAR TREK series primarily on their streaming site. More choice for people is not a bad thing at all. Corporations choosing the wrong platform for their shows is a bad thing though.

It's a shame these shows aren't on platforms available to larger audience. I don't think a lot of people who would watch will have access. Powers was a better show than Agents of Shield, IMO. But it was on a limited platform and is now cancelled.

POWERS and COMMUNITY were on limited platforms and were cancelled due to the fact that no one watches PLAYSTATION TV or YAHOOTV at all. The three big streaming services currently are NETFLIX, AMAZON PRIME and HULU PLUS. I use all three, along with my internet connection, to watch what I want. I have no need for cable or the ridiculous bill. This is the new reality of TV which is why HBO GO is a thing along with CBS pimping out the new STAR TREK series primarily on their streaming site. More choice for people is not a bad thing at all. Corporations choosing the wrong platform for their shows is a bad thing though.

Yes, I'm talking about something like Netflix. I don't know anyone that uses Hulu.

http://www.thewrap.com/hbo-vs-hulu-vs-netflix-heres-whos-winning-in-streaming-subscribers-by-a-lot/