• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Unofficial Underground Comix thread...
14 14

2,304 posts in this topic

And the mention of a record, reminded me that some copies of Barbarian Women 3 came with one. I do not have record player, so I do not know what's on it. Is it music based?

I've never pulled my copy of the record out of it's sleeve. No idea what's on that record.

I picked up a few nice condition copies of this in the past week, though!!!

allstars2_zpsm7day1z7.jpg

And the mention of a record, reminded me that some copies of Barbarian Women 3 came with one. I do not have record player, so I do not know what's on it. Is it music based?

I've never pulled my copy of the record out of it's sleeve. No idea what's on that record.

Who is the character coming in the door suppose to be? That is a wild cover! (thumbs u

Who is the character coming in the door suppose to be? That is a wild cover! (thumbs u

If only Rick Griffin was around to ask, eh?

There's obviously a ton of intermingling between music and comix, but here are a couple more overtly record related comix that came to mind.

Though not related to a specific album, Douglas Comix was commissioned by record producer and publisher Alan Douglas... The second half of the comic features a number of high profile UG artists taking on various albums released by Douglas Records.

There's also "Song of an Aeropteryx" by Hal Rammel, an 8-page comic book that included a 7" by Davey Williams and LaDonna Smith; it was published by Black Swan Press and the music label Trans Museq in 1983. You might know Rammel's work from "Aero into the Aether", a surrealist comix from 1980 that features in the Kennedy guide.

This one's a bit more tangential, but there's also "Hot Tub Tapeworm" and "Buy Til You Die" by Jane J. Oliver (Jerry the Stoned Vampire, Pagan Comix, etc). They're a couple of one-sheet comics, a la S. Clay Wilson's "Bernice Saves Grizzly Harry" or Rodney Schroeter's "The Weirdo #1", which are based on song lyrics by the early 80's new wave/garage rock band Felix Culpa. Oliver seems to have been friends with the band, and is also credited for taking the photo on their first record.

I believe it is music. I have a copy of Barbarian Women #3 that was supposed to come with the record (bought from Donahue), but the record was not included. Someone from the boards once posted a picture of the record, really doesn't appear to have much to do with the comic, if I recall correctly.

There's obviously a ton of intermingling between music and comix, but here are a couple more overtly record related comix that came to mind.

Though not related to a specific album, Douglas Comix was commissioned by record producer and publisher Alan Douglas... The second half of the comic features a number of high profile UG artists taking on various albums released by Douglas Records.

There's also "Song of an Aeropteryx" by Hal Rammel, an 8-page comic book that included a 7" by Davey Williams and LaDonna Smith; it was published by Black Swan Press and the music label Trans Museq in 1983. You might know Rammel's work from "Aero into the Aether", a surrealist comix from 1980 that features in the Kennedy guide.

This one's a bit more tangential, but there's also "Hot Tub Tapeworm" and "Buy Til You Die" by Jane J. Oliver (Jerry the Stoned Vampire, Pagan Comix, etc). They're a couple of one-sheet comics, a la S. Clay Wilson's "Bernice Saves Grizzly Harry" or Rodney Schroeter's "The Weirdo #1", which are based on song lyrics by the early 80's new wave/garage rock band Felix Culpa. Oliver seems to have been friends with the band, and is also credited for taking the photo on their first record.

I would include Douglas Comix as part of the record-related giveaway, UG category. Good observation, the list continues to grow.

About "Song of an Aeropteryx and "Aero into the Aether". It's funny that you should mention 2 titles that I always wanted (because of the unusual covers), but have never seen come up for sale in the few years that I have been collecting. I would love to get my hands on those. Would you sell me your copies, so I can determine if there's a relation to records?

Another possible, record-related UG: Breezy Stories. Although I do not have it, wasn't it released to promote an album by someone named Danny O'Keefe?

Edited by dannyboycheapyboy

All Stars 2: nice and a little strange at the same time isn't it? There's nothing quite like it.

It was one of the first items, I had purchased when I first began collecting. When it arrived, I did not expect its large format or its multi-color, collective format. To me, it's near the top of the list of affordable UG keys, because it represents the gender so well.

It's so different from expectation. I remember reading a thread in one the older forums, where a member wanted to confirm with others, if they had purchased the correct item. That person might of thought they had mispurchased the All Stars 1 fanzine, instead of All Stars 2. I can understand why, someone may have had their doubts.

Edited by dannyboycheapyboy

All Stars 2: nice and a little strange at the same time isn't it? There's nothing quite like it.

It was one of the first items, I had purchased when I first began collecting. When it arrived, I did not expect its large format or its multi-color, collective format. To me, it's near the top of the list of affordable UG keys, because it represents the gender so well.

It's so different from expectation. I remember reading a thread in one the older forums, where a member wanted to confirm with others, if they had purchased the correct item. That person might of thought they had mispurchased the All Stars 1 fanzine, instead of All Stars 2. I can understand why, someone may have had their doubts.

Having known the publisher fairly well over the years, All Stars #2 just seemed like Gary's brain exploded and he was able to harness the fallout in 'fanzine/UG' form. It's so stream of consciousness that it really should be in a class by itself!

Edited by wpbooks

Having known the publisher fairly well over the years, All Stars #2 just seemed like Gary's brain exploded and he was able to harness the fallout in 'fanzine/UG' form. It's so stream of consciousness that it really should be in a class by itself!

All-Stars #2 is one of my favorite covers. I recall once posting a pic. of the cover on these forums and getting told it had to be censored. So when I saw Eggs post one for sale, I let him know that he would probably get told to censor it. Seems they've gotten a little less conservative here after Eggs started selling many Undergrounds here.

A guy who would know all about Comix with record or music related would be "bookchuck" Steve W. from AZ, but I don't think he posts anymore.

Regarding music, did someone already mention Grunt?

Edited by 50 Cent #II (1st)

A stash of high grade All-Stars surfaced not that long ago. There was a dealer who specializes more in paperbacks who had multiple high grade copies. I was able to score a NM for $20, and then sold my FN copy that I bought 25 years ago for $20 on ebay for $45.

Gary Arlington's stash of minty All-Stars #2? That has a downright mystical air to it... Any fresh copies of San Francisco Comic Book #1 in that stash?

Apropos what was mentioned earlier in the thread, it does seem like recently more rare undergrounds have surfaced on ebay, although often listed at guide or higher. There certainly are more Ozone #1s available than I can remember seeing. Not a bad thing. If memory serves, a stash of Ozone #1s turned up not too long ago, likely accounts for some of the copies on ebay. There was a guy on Facebook recently who claimed to have 20 copies (and a near complete run of UGs going back to '64).

One of the more interesting aspects of collecting undergrounds has been watching the hobby mature, as more and more caches of books are tapped into and dispersed via ebay and by other means. It's still a bit like the wild west for UGs, but this will not be the case forever. Inevitably things will have to settle down.

On an other note, does anyone have interior scans or pictures of Goose Lake Gags? I would be much obliged!

Gary Arlington's stash of minty All-Stars #2? That has a downright mystical air to it... Any fresh copies of San Francisco Comic Book #1 in that stash?

I had 5. Sold off a couple so far, though.

Wow, good stuff. If it's not privileged info, do you happen to know more about what came out of his stash? Is that where some of the Ozones came from that've recently been floating around?

Wow, good stuff. If it's not privileged info, do you happen to know more about what came out of his stash? Is that where some of the Ozones came from that've recently been floating around?

Have not seen any Ozone materialize. Pretty sure not from the Gary estate or at least the part I was privy to before and after his demise.

Have not seen any Ozone materialize. Pretty sure not from the Gary estate or at least the part I was privy to before and after his demise.

(thumbs u