• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Walking Dead 1 - Would you press and resubmit? UPDATE - 8.5 to 9.6!
1 1

19 posts in this topic

This was graded an 8.5 by CGC a while back. Graders notes say "Spine stress lines break color". The only flaws are the 3 spines stress lines. I know a press won't correct any color break but thought it may improve the spine enough to bump it up to a low 9. I've seen other graded moderns with more prominent stress lines get at least a 9.2. Any thoughts on this? Thanks

WD%20Cover1_zps1y9cs5ua.jpg

WD%20Spine1_zpstngp8qid.jpg

Edited by loganparker

What non colour breaking stuff can you see that a press might improve?

Jim

Was thinking that a press could improve the top and bottom spine tics that I'm not certaint truly break color. The 1 color breaking tic in the center may be enough to knock it down to an 8.5 so it might not matter. I've got other moderns with fewer flaws graded in the mid to low 9s. Maybe I'm just wishing it would have graded higher!

Jimmy

i find it hard to believe that 3 spine stress lines = 8.5

There has to be something else

light spine roll?

non-colour breaking crease/fold...?

That's all that was in the grader's notes and all I noticed prior to submitting and now that it's slabbed.

Edited by loganparker

WD #1 covers are notorious for having "dents" in them that do not break color. I have purchased and cracked out a few copies over the years that did not have these included in the notes. If all that is wrong with the spine is shown in the picture, the book may have been harshly graded to begin with.

WD #1 covers are notorious for having "dents" in them that do not break color. I have purchased and cracked out a few copies over the years that did not have these included in the notes. If all that is wrong with the spine is shown in the picture, the book may have been harshly graded to begin with.

Thanks Joey. Glad to hear that coming from you.

Jimmy

A press would definitely help the NCB spine ticks, but may not get rid of them entirely. I've been surprised on that before. You have the color break and and wear on the two spine corners that a press won't help, but you should still get a grade bump.

I agree that the original 8.5 grade seems harsh for the defects you've shown here.

A press would definitely help the NCB spine ticks, but may not get rid of them entirely. I've been surprised on that before. You have the color break and and wear on the two spine corners that a press won't help, but you should still get a grade bump.

I agree that the original 8.5 grade seems harsh for the defects you've shown here.

A press will remove the air pockets around the dents and in the process, reduce the severity of their appearance.

Last 9.0 sold for $1699, which is an outlier sale but yeah, it's def worth pressing.

I'd expect a 9.0/9.2 if pressed.Spend $100 to profit $200 (roughly) is how I see that book.

I can see why you got slammed with an 8.5, that middle spine tick is transverse, deep and extends outward pretty far.

Joey's dead on with his dents observation.I'd add that this book has similiar cover and paper stock to Rasl...the paper stock is so susceptible to dents on these sorts of moderns.Unlike Rasl, this book doesn;t have a black cover so the dents are much perceptible

But it does sound like the book was graded harshly.(sort of but not really...as imperceptible NCB dents may be an issue).

But of course, a press removes such dents.

i find it hard to believe that 3 spine stress lines = 8.5

There has to be something else

light spine roll?

non-colour breaking crease/fold...?

That's all that was in the grader's notes and all I noticed prior to submitting and now that it's slabbed.

What about the back? I'm also in the camp of finding it hard to believe that those 3 color-breaking spine ticks are the only thing affecting the grade.

Impossible to tell what they will regrade because even if they have noted those defects they may consider those exact same defects to be worth more or less. You never know since they don't have defined standards which is really ridiculous and crazy. Those three spine stress lines could go completely unnoticed on next submit, or they could decide they are now grading same comic with exact same defects noted as 8.0. It would be really interesting to see someone submit the exact same comic 10 times and see how many times it gets the same grade.

20 hours ago, loganparker said:

I decided to crack it open, press it and resubmit it.  I'm glad I did.  Came back as a 9.6.  I'm ecstatic. Freshly slabbed book is below.

CGC%20WD%20after%20press_zpsbzxyib8y.jpg

Would you do closeups of some of the same areas you did before?  I'd love to see what improvements the pressing made.

Thanks!

8.5 was a harsh grade but, I'm sorry, 9.6 looks like a gift grade. Those two creases very much stand out, hits you in the face. If I bought this book, I would not be happy. This is crazy. Makes you wonder what the heck is going on at CGC. 8.5 to 9.6 with pretty much no change.