• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,545 posts in this topic

HI GAtor

With a Top 10 in mind, what in your mind are THE10 'NON Timely' Schomburg covers?

I'm really seeking an answer for the remaining 7 books out of 10 as Suspense 3, Startling 49, and Terrific 5 are no brainers. I'd expect Nedors to dominate, BUT I can think of one Harvey cover that commands BIG bucks whenever it turns up. I won't name it as not to 'influence' your choices for the remainder 7. As always , thanks for your response in advance.

these would be 7 of my fav non timely covers (outside of the 3 you mentioned)

in no particular order, and I will try not to duplicate multiple issues of same titles

catman 24

fighting yank 23

brick Bradford 6

exciting 39 (35 real close second for me)

speed comics 31

real life comics 3

all new comics 8

green hornet 17 (20 close too)

love some wonders, thrillings and startlings he did under the air brushed xela too

While I give great deference to Gator, I would put Speed 28 above 31, as well as above several of the others listed.

All opinions considered. Just trying to figure the 'concensus'. I think there is some 'rigid' agreement on such when considering what are his top Timely covers.

Gator, you've said before that you blow out Classics Illustrated when you have them. Are there any other G.A. titles that you really don't want to find in a collection for sale?
some tv dells/gold keys are tougher to move. As are westerns

HI GAtor

With a Top 10 in mind, what in your mind are THE10 'NON Timely' Schomburg covers?

I'm really seeking an answer for the remaining 7 books out of 10 as Suspense 3, Startling 49, and Terrific 5 are no brainers. I'd expect Nedors to dominate, BUT I can think of one Harvey cover that commands BIG bucks whenever it turns up. I won't name it as not to 'influence' your choices for the remainder 7. As always , thanks for your response in advance.

in no particular order, and I will try not to duplicate multiple issues of same titles

catman 24

fighting yank 23

brick Bradford 6

speed comics 31

real life comics 3

all new comics 8

love some wonders, thrillings and startlings he did under the air brushed xela too

While I give great deference to Gator, I would put Speed 28 above 31, as well as above several of the others listed.

I was trying to remember the speed I liked....28. Forgot :foryou:

HI GAtor

catman 24

fighting yank 23

brick Bradford 6

speed comics 31

real life comics 3

all new comics 8

Speed 28 isn't Schomburg :gossip:

HI GAtor

catman 24

fighting yank 23

brick Bradford 6

speed comics 31

real life comics 3

all new comics 8

maybe that's why I left it off the list :idea:

HI GAtor

catman 24

fighting yank 23

brick Bradford 6

speed comics 31

real life comics 3

all new comics 8

GCD lists 28 as a Schomberg cover, but I agree it's a debatable designation.

Dear Gator:

Should I seek counselling for my compulsion to acquire vintage collectibles, or should I continue devoting the money I'd spend on counselling to acquire more vintage comics and other memorabilia? I'm leaning to the latter course of action.

:insane:

Edited by Hepcat

Gator, you've said before that you blow out Classics Illustrated when you have them. Are there any other G.A. titles that you really don't want to find in a collection for sale?

Dell westerns, or any and all westerns including the Atlas ones?

How about Treasure Chest? I rarely see those, nor do I hear much chatter about them.

???

Edited by Hepcat

Gator, you've said before that you blow out Classics Illustrated when you have them. Are there any other G.A. titles that you really don't want to find in a collection for sale? [/quote

]some tv dells/gold keys are tougher to move. As are westerns

How about Treasure Chest? I rarely see those, nor do I hear much chatter about them.

???

Except for the Crandall This Godless Communism issues. Those usually sell well, I think.

Dear Gator:

Should I seek counselling for my compulsion to acquire vintage collectibles, or should I continue devoting the money I'd spend on counselling to acquire more vintage comics and other memorabilia? I'm leaning to the latter course of action.

its a good addiction...run with it!

???

mainly dell...atlas has its own culture of collecting...

treasure chest I am rarely asked for, so I suspect either not much demand, or just not worth dealer space

America's Best Comics #7 surely makes my list! :luhv:

Me too. Very funny yet powerful

comamericasbest7_zpsgr2jeqlm.jpg

But I think I like this one a lot more if I had to choose between the two.

comthrilling41_zpskx0lbvgz.jpg

Agreed, that's why I bought the Mile High copy of both! :grin:

Dear Gator:

I know of a so called "comic-shrink".

They usually know how to deal with such compulsions

Dear Gator:

I've always told myself that comics were preferable to heroin or cocaine. I've not been able to find any hard evidence to support my thinking though so I'm soliciting expert opinion.

(shrug)

Edited by Hepcat

Dear Gator:

I've always told myself that comics were preferable to heroin or cocaine. I've not been able to find any hard evidence though so I'm soliciting expert opinion.

(shrug)

more rewarding long term and has the advantage of being legal...win!