• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It would be Criminal not to show your CRIME comics!
20 20

2,421 posts in this topic

Crime comics seem to picking up on ebay, but are still good value for the money. Most are dreck, and the classic covers everyone loves are as pricey as the horror books, but there is a lot of stuff in the middle, cool covers, violent stories, that are very affordable, especially if you're okay with 3.0-5.0 copies. You can find cool stuff for under $30 on a regular basis.

One of the favorite FAC covers in my collection;

2r5x3ip.jpg

Oh hell, here's the whole collection;

vddb8i.jpg

35hrd49.jpg

2aklrao.jpg

Notice how the subtitle in the last four issues changed from "horror and suspense", to "horror and terror". Story Comics went out with a bang.

Got some new crime books on Saturday...

comgangsterscantwin3_zpsh4lto4tc.jpg

Nice leg show cover. How are the stories?

Just got it and haven't read it yet. As a whole this title has pretty good art with GGA and VERY violent. Stories are usual crime fare reading wise.

I'll 2nd that - KILLER red dress cover. Correct that.... short red dress cover! ;)

2r5x3ip.jpg

vddb8i.jpg

35hrd49.jpg

2aklrao.jpg

Notice how the subtitle in the last four issues changed from "horror and suspense", to "horror and terror". Story Comics went out with a bang.

Purely Belter (worship)

2r5x3ip.jpg

vddb8i.jpg

35hrd49.jpg

2aklrao.jpg

Damn sweet run

#20 is money in any grade

"Reach for it Copper!" Mailman just delivered this 50's Australian Edition of Headline Comics #5, and what a cover: None other than James Cagney (my favorite golden era Hollywood male movie star)and a man synonymous with Gangster/Crime films. It's Cagney probably circa "White Heat" .

His Film the Public Enemy (Pre Code era )has a scene which inspired the cover of CDNP 43. How cool is that? A pre code crime film inspiring a pre code crime comic? The original matinee Bad*** (And there's Hoover....'watching' :D

Headline%20Comics%20Australian%20Ed.%205_zpsfyyftb6h.jpg

The book opens 'vertically'. An interior shot with GGA

IMG_2575_zpsricgthon.jpg

My James Cagney Crime Films collection

FullSizeRender%202_zpsdzpqbnc6.jpg

"Reach for it Copper!" Mailman just delivered this 50's Australian Edition of Headline Comics #5, and what a cover: None other than James Cagney (my favorite golden era Hollywood male movie star)and a man synonymous with Gangster/Crime films. It's Cagney probably circa "White Heat" .

His Film the Public Enemy (Pre Code era )has a scene which inspired the cover of CDNP 43. How cool is that? A pre code crime film inspiring a pre code crime comic? The original matinee Bad*** (And there's Hoover....'watching' :D

Headline%20Comics%20Australian%20Ed.%205_zpsfyyftb6h.jpg

The book opens 'vertically'. An interior shot with GGA

IMG_2575_zpsricgthon.jpg

My James Cagney Crime Films collection

FullSizeRender%202_zpsdzpqbnc6.jpg

:applause: Cool book. I love Hoover looking up in the corner and the funky page layout.

Cagney's definitely one of my favorites. Great movies and iconic scenes (including this one you mentioned).

CrimeDoesNotPay43x_zpsd66272f0.jpg

Got some new crime books on Saturday...

comgangsterscantwin3_zpsh4lto4tc.jpg

Nice leg show cover. How are the stories?

Just got it and haven't read it yet. As a whole this title has pretty good art with GGA and VERY violent. Stories are usual crime fare reading wise.

Just picked this one up over the weekend. Surprised to find a couple wild west stories in there, figured it would be all early-mid 20th century gangster. Love the use of the term "gat" for gun that modern wanna be gangsters seem to love these days. Lots of murders in each story. Like a 4-5 pages story can have 6+ kills. It's definitely no EC though.

xVexw6cl.jpg

Edited by Couchy81

Anyone else think this looks like Kinstler?

9730850b-e9f8-498e-ae0b-df9a133a4dc4_zpssgo0zeg8.jpg

Great looking book.

I'd say the faces of the bad guys look like Gerald McCann's. I've seen a lot of his westerns with Kinstler similarities too.

That may be it. There was a lot of conscious copying of styles among some artists, which may be happening with McCann and Kinstler.

Anyone else think this looks like Kinstler?

9730850b-e9f8-498e-ae0b-df9a133a4dc4_zpssgo0zeg8.jpg

Great looking book.

I'd say the faces of the bad guys look like Gerald McCann's. I've seen a lot of his westerns with Kinstler similarities too.

That may be it. There was a lot of conscious copying of styles among some artists, which may be happening with McCann and Kinstler.

I'm definitely no expert but that's what I think is going on here. The room has the same feel as some Kinstler Avon's.

Any book in a slab seems unnatural to me. That is why I only have a dozen or so. I already had a couple of lower grade readers but I have always loved this cover so when the opportunity popped up for a nice one, I popped on it. I think this is a real sleeper in the crime genre.