• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Near six figure MTG art sales

619 posts in this topic

Yeah I'm not thinking about sol ring ... I hear you there.. talking stuff like mox opal.

That card is only about 6 years old though, and the original art would likely sell for as much or more as well I think. Anything after 8th edition (2003 timeframe), is "modern", and doesn't carry the same cache to me since things definitely became more homogenized art-wise around then. Certainly a lot less nostalgic in general.

Yeah I'm not thinking about sol ring ... I hear you there.. talking stuff like mox opal.

That card is only about 6 years old though, and the original art would likely sell for as much or more as well I think.

I get what you're saying - that neither version is old, so that the premium for the original version should be less, and I can buy that, but to me the original version of the card should almost always carry a way higher price tag. IMO anyways.

That card is only about 6 years old though, and the original art would likely sell for as much or more as well I think.

I get what you're saying - that neither version is old, so that the premium for the original version should be less, and I can buy that, but to me the original version of the card should almost always carry a way higher price tag. IMO anyways.

In general I think you are right. There will always be exceptions though.

It was for an even called the Invitational, not for World Champs. They no longer do those unfortunately, but the players were typically offered to buy the art from the artist if they wanted it. I know Chris Pikula turned it down then years later regretted it and was lucky enough to be able to track his down.

This dude got an 18 month ban from sanctioned magic for this. I'm guessing he thinks it was worth it.

Butt-crack, the Gathering. Hilarious. :roflmao:

Total respect.

This dude got an 18 month ban from sanctioned magic for this. I'm guessing he thinks it was worth it.

That ban has either been lifted or it has ended by now. One of those two. Go to any gaming convention and you see this. :sumo:

The FB MTG Art Exchange page continues to be a bit of an eye opener for me, especially with the auctioning-off of recent Kev Walker originals having a starting point of $2,000 (that quickly escalate in price).

In recent times I've had enquiries about Kev Walk MTG originals that I own (that I wasn't looking to sell). My response to such enquiries was usually along the lines of, "NFS, but I'll listen if you have a tempting offer to make" (which always killed-off the line of enquiry stone cold dead in the water).

I consulted MTG dealer Mark Aaronowitch over ball-park figures for Kev's work and the price-range he advised is now being way-surpassed by prices being realised on the aforementioned FB MTG Art Exchange.

If or when the time comes for me to release any MTG originals, the FB page seems to be the best vehicle to either consult (for private sales purposes), or to be used as a sales venue.

I think these specific arts, being basic lands, and the first of his being available in many many years, and the considerable quality of them, means they will realize MUCH higher prices than almost all of his other pieces. As an example, there is a reverse auction on the same page for "Rite of Passage" that is down to $825. This work is very representative of a Walker piece and much more in line with the valuation on his art in general. He has done the second most art for MtG, and closing in on #1 all time, and none of it is digital. There is a LOT of it out there. Subject matter/card quality will be the deciding factor in the valuation most of the time. I've seen a nice (IMO) piece not sell at $500 recently, and other than the basics, nothing over $2K.

FYI, I am not saying any this because I was "Street Savy" from you, but my honest opinion.

The FB MTG Art Exchange page continues to be a bit of an eye opener for me, especially with the auctioning-off of recent Kev Walker originals having a starting point of $2,000 (that quickly escalate in price).

In recent times I've had enquiries about Kev Walk MTG originals that I own (that I wasn't looking to sell). My response to such enquiries was usually along the lines of, "NFS, but I'll listen if you have a tempting offer to make" (which always killed-off the line of enquiry stone cold dead in the water).

I consulted MTG dealer Mark Aaronowitch over ball-park figures for Kev's work and the price-range he advised is now being way-surpassed by prices being realised on the aforementioned FB MTG Art Exchange.

If or when the time comes for me to release any MTG originals, the FB page seems to be the best vehicle to either consult (for private sales purposes), or to be used as a sales venue.