• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

Is there a scan of the book somewhere and the price he paid?

Jim

Ask and ye shall receive...

http://www.icomicexchange.com/product/amazing-spider-man-129-2

Shipping on top of price paid.

Gabe said he was, by his calculations, was $1100 in the hole...He never said whether that was in Canadian or US funds. As most deal in US funds for comics, I would assume he is $1100 USD in the hole.

He then got $700 (USD) for a finders fee for that BB book (which as insanely fortunate for him)...If he had applied that windfall to service his "comic debt" he would only be about $400 in the hole.

INSTEAD he used that money to buy the ASM #129 for about $950 USD or so, factoring in shipping.

As he has not yet sold the book, I guess you could say he is currently in the hole around $1,350 USD in the hole...

Does that make sense or did I royally screw that up? I have no idea how he "accounts" or covered that $1,100 comic debt either...

...One thing I wonder about is he had $700 from the BB finders fee, where did he get the other $250 USD to cover the rest of the book? Unless he had some still had some $ in his PayPal account...?

I sold comics to get that other 250 and around the time I bought the asm 129 I had about 1500usd as for the numbers I would need to get back to you on that one.

I'm going to assume you haven't read much of this thread.

Actually, I've been keeping up with it for awhile. And yeah, my suggestion requires Gabe showing a measure of self-control that thus far he has yet to display. So it's probably expecting too much.

As far as the numbers...there was discussion about the difference in US and Canadian currency so I may have the amount for the ASM #129 wrong. And I thought the $1100 hole was pre-ASM but I may have lost track in the back-and-forth.

So yeah, I probably should just delete my post.

I just don't think he's in a position money wise to hold the book for an extended period of time. For most people that would be the correct play ( though how many people here would buy at 8.0 thinking they were getting an 8.5 ), but if I were him, I would get out of it ASAP and move on. 2c

Yes I'm not in a position where I can hold a comic for a long time but that depends how much I have in it.

Of course...if you were buying raw spec books on the cheap to hold on to until a movie / TV show is coming out, that would be a position where you could sit on some books for a while. This does not seem like that kind of situation as you put a lot of your working capital into this one book...which is why I recommend dumping it ASAP.

Yep. Get rid of it and get money back into your pocket.

As others have said (countless times) in this thread, stop trying to hit the big home run. The deals are harder to find on the bigger stuff. Most everyone is going to want at/near top market on those. It's hard to quick flip something you bought at top market.

I did a small, local show yesterday with a buddy. Near the end of it I decided to take a look around the room. I dug thru a few boxes and found the following:

Aliens #1 (1st print) - $5

DKR #4 - $10

Xmen 248 - $5

Not going to be buying a new car with the profits, but I should make a decent return on my $20. These are the kind "flips" we've been trying to encourage you to look for.

You're hoping to break even on your $800+ purchase. I shouldn't have any problem doubling (tripling) my "investment".

I totally agree with chrisco37 .. get several of these types of deals under your belt (and ONLY do these types of deals for a looooooong time) and hopefully you'll start seeing profit.

sounds like a lot more work than sitting at home and opening 8 computer windows all about one of the hottest books around which might be at/near the top of its market, then accidentally buying the wrong one. Why spend two hours to triple my investment, when I can spend 10 minutes to lose 10-15%? That's just common sense economics, that's what that is.

Just like it makes sense to vote for a guy that every single highly educated economist would vote against and says is illogical. Its just common sense economics; if you've studied lots of economics, people who've studied less than you economics should not listen to you.

As others have said (countless times) in this thread, stop trying to hit the big home run. The deals are harder to find on the bigger stuff. Most everyone is going to want at/near top market on those. It's hard to quick flip something you bought at top market.

I did a small, local show yesterday with a buddy. Near the end of it I decided to take a look around the room. I dug thru a few boxes and found the following:

DKR #4 - $10

Xmen 248 - $5

Not going to be buying a new car with the profits, but I should make a decent return on my $20. These are the kind "flips" we've been trying to encourage you to look for.

You're hoping to break even on your $800+ purchase. I shouldn't have any problem doubling (tripling) my "investment".

I've tried that a couple of times and ran into a few problems

- If it's online shipping must be cost effective since I usually buy from the states

- I find something on kijiji people want me to drive for it and they want top dollar not listening to the fact that I can't buy it at that much

- I found a couple good comics at a shop before and he took out of my hands and said he couldn't sell it for that price because "They're hot" and I knew that of course but it's his fault that he messed up.

I have done that a handful of times and I had great results in most cases but at lot of the times it's misses

So I'll list a couple examples of little comics I made a profit on.

Archie comics bought for 25 sold for 100

ASM 101 Bought for 55 sold for 75

Free comics got for free sold for 18 bucks

IM 305 Bought for 7 sold for 12

X-Factor 5,6,15,18, 23,24 bought for cover price and sold for a total of 135

FF 67 Bought for 8 bucks sold for 15

Strange adventures 180 bought for 23 sold for 55

For those that are going to ask yes this was all calculated after fees and shipping

Edited by uchiha101

I totally agree with chrisco37 .. get several of these types of deals under your belt (and ONLY do these types of deals for a looooooong time) and hopefully you'll start seeing profit.

That makes it sound like forever and maybe hopefully making a profit. I realize I'm not starting in the best of ways but I don't ignore a good deal if it's small if I think I can make money on it I buy it.

sounds like a lot more work than sitting at home and opening 8 computer windows all about one of the hottest books around which might be at/near the top of its market, then accidentally buying the wrong one. Why spend two hours to triple my investment, when I can spend 10 minutes to lose 10-15%? That's just common sense economics, that's what that is.

Just like it makes sense to vote for a guy that every single highly educated economist would vote against and says is illogical. Its just common sense economics; if you've studied lots of economics, people who've studied less than you economics should not listen to you.

Yeah I know my mistake is laughable and I should have been more careful but wasn't. I have been putting this advice to good use with video games buying small of making a small profit on and sometimes I buy bigger things and buying in bulk is great. I've read the basics of economics a few times and I believe what you're talking about is Time vs money and common sense, like a said before I lack it but it's something I'm working on.

DKR #4 - $10

Xmen 248 - $5

- If it's online shipping must be cost effective since I usually buy from the states

- I find something on kijiji people want me to drive for it and they want top dollar not listening to the fact that I can't buy it at that much

- I found a couple good comics at a shop before and he took out of my hands and said he couldn't sell it for that price because "They're hot" and I knew that of course but it's his fault that he messed up.

I have done that a handful of times and I had great results in most cases but at lot of the times it's misses

For those that are going to ask yes this was all calculated after fees and shipping

now list all of the losses......

look at the list - so many low purchase books with flipping potential.....

FOCUS ON THESE LOW COST HIGH % RETURN BOOKS

DKR #4 - $10

Xmen 248 - $5

Here are my losses and if you have any questions just ask

JLA #1 CGC NG Buy $210usd Sell $115

Bat #4 NG Buy $223usd Sell $75

Comic Book Covers NG Buy $58.24 Sell $40

X-men 219 NM Buy $5.50usd Sell $-5.50

Giant Size X-men #2 2.0 Buy $21.72usd Sell $-21.72

Betty and Veronica #320 7.0/7.5 Buy $470usd Sell $250

Avengers 57+58+ FF 53 Buy $360usd Sell $250

Infinity Gauntlet CBCS 9.8 X5 9.6 X2 Buy $985.60 Sell $0

Suicide Squad 12 x2 VF-NM Buy $12.63cad Sell $0

DC presents 26 Buy $126usd Sell $ 30 usd harley quinn #1

ASM 50 1.5/2.0 Buy $110usd Sell $88

Repro covers NM Buy $87usd Sell $0

ASM 4 coverless NG Buy $18usd Sell -$18

FF Bronze age comics Varies Buy $125usd Sell $-125

Comics lot Varies Buy $122usd Sell $90

ASM #1 Silver version Buy $2.25cad Sell $0

Aquaman 29 3.0/3.5 Buy $0 Sell $-8

Adventure comics 260 Buy $88.88 Sell $0

Flash 139 Buy $105 Sell $0

BA 12 Buy $834.15 Sell $820

ST126 $180.69 Sell $157.25

X-men 266 CBCS 9.6 Buy $337.5 Sell $173

Money Order loss $-44usd

Aquaman 29 VG Buy $65 usd Sell $61.14

Giant Size X-men #1 Buy $355.38 Sell $-335.38

Marvel Super Heroes 12 Buy $110usd Sell $0

The hard corps #1 Buy $2.95cad Sell $0

ASM 361 x2 CGC 9.8 Buy $350usd Sell $185 +$150 trade

I have more profits I made too but I only showed small comics I made profits on

That makes it sound like forever and maybe hopefully making a profit. I realize I'm not starting in the best of ways but I don't ignore a good deal if it's small if I think I can make money on it I buy it.

It will take a long time, but .. so what? .. you WILL make money. Please don't let this be more sound advice, which you'll choose to ignore.

Edited by Kenners

DKR #4 - $10

Xmen 248 - $5

Money Order loss $-44usd

Gabe, did you copy and paste this from a spreadsheet?

The spacing is screwed up and even going through it line by line I still have no idea what some of these entries mean e.g.

"Giant Size X-men #1 Buy $355.38 Sell $-335.38"

Does this mean you lost $20?

Or

"Marvel Super Heroes 12 Buy $110usd Sell $0"

Does this mean you've still got it?

There are a lot of nice folk here trying to help, but I'm afraid you don't make it easy . . .

DKR #4 - $10

Xmen 248 - $5

Money Order loss $-44usd

The spacing is screwed up and even going through it line by line I still have no idea what some of these entries mean e.g.

Or

There are a lot of nice folk here trying to help, but I'm afraid you don't make it easy . . .

Trumponomics

DKR #4 - $10

Xmen 248 - $5

Money Order loss $-44usd

Or

I think you figured it out

DKR #4 - $10

Xmen 248 - $5

Money Order loss $-44usd

Or

Some of those purchases are just stupefying. :facepalm:

DKR #4 - $10

Xmen 248 - $5

Money Order loss $-44usd

Or

I was thinking he got scammed out of a few books so they showed up at zeroes. I don't see the ASM 129 in the list so I assumed he kept the books unsold in another spreadsheet.

Those NG JLA 1 and Bat 4 are killers.

The BA #12

Was this one you bought raw and then you didn't agree with the grade? Did you think about pressing that one too? I seem to remember some discussion about that...

Are you also including cost of having books shipped to you in your costs or just the cost of the book itself? Does the resell price take into account the eBay and/or PayPal fees?

Edited by Wall-Crawler

It will take a long time, but .. so what? .. you WILL make money. Please don't let this be more sound advice, which you'll choose to ignore.

If that's true why did you make it sound like I "might" make money on it?

DKR #4 - $10

Xmen 248 - $5

Money Order loss $-44usd

Or

You're right I should have explained. Anything with a zero is something I still have and anything with a negative sign it front of it is something I lost money on.

DKR #4 - $10

Xmen 248 - $5

Money Order loss $-44usd

Or

Some of those purchases are just stupefying. :facepalm:

Like a said I made a lot of mistakes and have worked off most of the comics I overpaid for

8 8