• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

tb's Mickey Mouse Magazines
3 3

94 posts in this topic

I am close to completing my own run of MMM. Down to 10 remaining.....

I have tried other sources (Metropolis, Hakes, Heritage......etc) to find out the source of the variant covers for these. In particular, some issues of the magazine have a small Mickey Mouse logo just above the "M" in "Mickey" on the front cover title, while the exact same issue also has versions where this logo is absent. At first, I thought perhaps subscription vs. non-subscription versions, but I have confirmed this isn't the difference......I recently acquired subscription address-stamped copies with and without this logo.

Any info on the variant covers?

Also, wondering if anyone else has come across the 12-card set of Mickey Mouse Magazine cards. I have the complete set, which appears to be from approx. 1935, but can find NOTHING about them. They were associated with Hostess. "Collect all 12 coupons and receive a FREE issue of Mickey Mouse Magazine" Each of the twelve cards has a different Disney character drawn in the original/old-style versions of the characters.

I estimate the date of the 12-card set in the previous pictures to approx. 1935. Goofy was known as "Dippy Dawg" in 1933 and "The Goof" into 1936. Also, there is a Disney "Old Maid" card game from 1935 which uses these same images but some with different colorization.

Edited by rookster

Here is an example of my other question previously about variant covers. These are both from MMM vol. 3 number 4. Neither of these particular copies is subscription. Notice the Mickey logo difference above the "M"

Info on the variant covers anyone??

165286.jpg.4c997d7fc3532c306e2f6b8ba4bf581a.jpg

165287.jpg.a9e6d9342259a5701686c97eb27ab4fc.jpg

165288.jpg.53d624062973d175ead61a1789fd4de8.jpg

Here is an example of my other question previously about variant covers. These are both from MMM vol. 3 number 4. Neither of these particular copies is subscription. Notice the Mickey logo difference above the "M"

First time I noticed the difference.

Might tie into the current thread on Marvel 1: Some GA books went back for second (and maybe more) printings. A fact that collectors have not always recognized. For the most part it's difficult, I think, to distinguish a first printing from later printings because not enough info has survived.

Might tie into the current thread on Marvel 1: Some GA books went back for second (and maybe more) printings. A fact that collectors have not always recognized. For the most part it's difficult, I think, to distinguish a first printing from later printings because not enough info has survived.

Sqeggs,

I wondered about that, too. I looked for any other reprint/2nd printings for other Disney pseudo-comic books such as Big Little Books, Dell, Whitman. What I have found, so far, is subsequent printings were typically noted as being later editions.

Metropolis offered another idea of printings being done at two different facilities....but said it was only speculation

I thought I might share these pics, too. Adding to the marketing, history, etc. for those interested.

Here is a direct mail flyer and return envelope to give "gift subscriptions" for Mickey Mouse Magazine. I read a post from pooroldman earlier in this thread which reminded me I had these....

pooroldman: "there are still plenty of ads pushing various Snow White toys and whatnot-- MM Magazines were pretty relentless"

Postmarked Nov 1938

165291.jpg.431110e442042b8693a80b8fcb933e9e.jpg

165292.jpg.b5501297453c19e017656749a5f9535a.jpg

Here they are: Two of the cards have the coupons clipped (so sad, I know). I didn't include pictures of the backs.....they are blank.

Thanks. I've never seen them before!

Moondog

You are most welcome. I wish I could find whole cards to replace the two which are missing their coupons. No luck yet but still trying :)

Sqeggs,

I wondered about that, too. I looked for any other reprint/2nd printings for other Disney pseudo-comic books such as Big Little Books, Dell, Whitman. What I have found, so far, is subsequent printings were typically noted as being later editions.

Metropolis offered another idea of printings being done at two different facilities....but said it was only speculation

I think it's unlikely that the logo denotes printings at different facilities. Here are two Racine file copies-- both, one would assume, printed in Racine-- one with the Mickey logo and one without:

IMG_0864_zpsjwn6dshm.jpg

The logo might differentiate first and second printings. I've looked at some unslabbed MMMs that I have and there's no apparent difference between logo/nonlogo, and of course no notation in the indicia or elsewhere. There are enough of both that it doesn't seem that either logos or nonlogos are particularly rare or unusual.

Sqeggs,

I think it's unlikely that the logo denotes printings at different facilities. Here are two Racine file copies-- both, one would assume, printed in Racine-- one with the Mickey logo and one without:

The logo might differentiate first and second printings. I've looked at some unslabbed MMMs that I have and there's no apparent difference between logo/nonlogo, and of course no notation in the indicia or elsewhere. There are enough of both that it doesn't seem that either logos or nonlogos are particularly rare or unusual.

pooroldman and Sqeggs

I don't know about the circulation for each issue or typical practices for the time period. Would Western Publishing send subscribers 2nd printings? The reason I ask is because I have copies which have the subscribers name and address printed directly on the back cover of the individual issues. Some of these have the Mickey logo and some do not.

Sqeggs,

pooroldman and Sqeggs

I don't know about the circulation for each issue or typical practices for the time period. Would Western Publishing send subscribers 2nd printings? The reason I ask is because I have copies which have the subscribers name and address printed directly on the back cover of the individual issues. Some of these have the Mickey logo and some do not.

Good point. You would think subscribers would receive the first printing.

Sqeggs,

pooroldman and Sqeggs

I'm not so certain. I suspect that you have to get your comics to the distributor on time or face penalties. Miss mailing your subscribers by a day? No one really cares because there are no adverse consequences.

Sqeggs,

pooroldman and Sqeggs

I'm not so certain. I suspect that you have to get your comics to the distributor on time or face penalties. Miss mailing your subscribers by a day? No one really cares because there are no adverse consequences.

Got a message today. Person says they were former Mattel employee and were rolled into Mattel when they bought Western/Dell but closed the Poughkeepsie, NY facility in the early 80's. But he/she indicates the theory of two different publishing locations is correct. Said they worked in the contracts division and there was an older contract with Western and Kay Kamen to publish Disney but the contract payouts were different for Racine and Poughkeepsie, so in order to differentiate, the Mickey logo was added to the Poughkeepsie editions. He/she also mentioned circulation numbers being reported to ABC.....which I assume is the old Audit Bureau of Circulations.

Not sure if this would stand in-depth scrutiny, but it seems plausible, at a minimum.

That certainly makes sense-- I would love to buy your correspondent a cup of coffee and hear the many stories that he could tell about Western.

I wonder why my Racine file copy from April, 1938 has the Mickey logo but the file copy from January, 1940 does not. I was curious enough to look thru my own copies and also did a quick review of the images on the Heritage website. The earliest Mickey logo I could find was V.I #12 Sept 1936, and the latest was V.3 #12 Sept 1938. While my review is admittedly unscientific, I wonder if the logo was added for a specific time and then discontinued. Also, whether it's possible the logo was added to the Racine copies instead of the Poughkeepsies. This might explain why the earlier file copy has it and the later one does not.