• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #4 Club
12 12

3,405 posts in this topic

Man all of these showcase 4's (worship) If anyone has an extra one in the 0.5 - 2.0 range please let me know! Im having a hard time joining this club!

It's a tough club. Price is so high, I'm sure I overpaid for even a very low grade restored. Entry level seems as high as Hulk 1 or AF 15. At least census levels show a true scarcity.

Man all of these showcase 4's (worship) If anyone has an extra one in the 0.5 - 2.0 range please let me know! Im having a hard time joining this club!

It's a tough club. Price is so high, I'm sure I overpaid for even a very low grade restored. Entry level seems as high as Hulk 1 or AF 15. At least census levels show a true scarcity.

You can say that again! Just Finding a book that meets my very low standards seems impossible! im really not picky with books like this. Ill buy anything as long as the price is right. If it hasn't passed Hulk 1 and AF15 Im sure its going to soon. I predict #1 silver age book in the next 2 years.

You can say that again! Just Finding a book that meets my very low standards seems impossible! im really not picky with books like this. Ill buy anything as long as the price is right. If it hasn't passed Hulk 1 and AF15 Im sure its going to soon. I predict #1 silver age book in the next 2 years.

Number #1 in what way? Amazing Fantasy #15 is already the most expensive (and so far only) Silver Age book to break $1MIL.

It's also the most sought after SA book by far IMO.

Sales wise SC4 out sells Hulk 1 in low to mid grade. SC4 bounces between AF15s for sales depending on chipping, venue day etc on the AF15.

Very few of any of them come to market in high grade. However believe this summer SC4 exploded price for an 8.0 and 7.5 that were much higher (84k(SC4) vs 70k (IH1) in 8.0 and 74k (SC4) vs 42k (IH1) in 7.5.

AF15 is still boss imo but SC4 has outsold Hulk 1 across the board.

Sales wise SC4 out sells Hulk 1 in low to mid grade. SC4 bounces between AF15s for sales depending on chipping, venue day etc on the AF15.

Very few of any of them come to market in high grade. However believe this summer SC4 exploded price for an 8.0 and 7.5 that were much higher (84k(SC4) vs 70k (IH1) in 8.0 and 74k (SC4) vs 42k (IH1) in 7.5.

Your window is too small.

For example, you're comparing the price of an 8.0 Showcase #4 last month to an 8.0 Hulk #1 from two years ago. I don't think you'll find a Hulk #1 8.0 for $75K anymore. It's more likely a $100K+ book now.

Just like you won't find a Showcase #4 CGC 8.0 for $30K like the one I sold 3 or 4 years ago.

How so? A showcase #4 has never sold over $179,000 (yes, I realize it's an old sale) while multiple Hulk #1's have sold over that amount.

In lower grades, scarcity (and TV popularity) have over taken Hulk #1 but not in higher grades. At least not yet (if ever, IMO).

Your window is too small.

For example, you're comparing the price of an 8.0 Showcase #4 last month to an 8.0 Hulk #1 from two years ago. I don't think you'll find a Hulk #1 8.0 for $75K anymore. It's more likely a $100K+ book now.

Just like you won't find a Showcase #4 CGC 8.0 for $30K like the one I sold 3 or 4 years ago.

How so? A showcase #4 has never sold over $179,000 (yes, I realize it's an old sale) while multiple Hulk #1's have sold over that amount.

In lower grades, scarcity (and TV popularity) have over taken Hulk #1 but not in higher grades. At least not yet (if ever, IMO).

The hulk sold for 70k in April...how is that last year? Or the 7.5 selling for 43 and 38 in May/Feb of 2016.

No showcase 4 has been offered in grade that would result in that sort of value since Showcase 4 has gained such $.

Hulk 1 in 5.5 sold for 15k in May

Showcase 4 in 5.0 sold for 20k

Hulk 1 in 3.5 sold for 9k

Showcase 4 in 3.5 sold for 11k

The window has been open for almost a year now and SC4 outsells hulk 1 grade for grade almost every single time.

Is hulk 1 worth more in grades above 8.0? (shrug) at this time neither one of us know cause no SC4 has sold. It could be. Just about every grade below 8.0 SC4 wins.

Edited by iceman399

I must have looked at the wrong date on GPA. You're right, it was April of this year.

Still, you'll have a hard time finding an 8.0 Hulk #1 for that price now, IMO. That was 6 months ago and well before the recent 9.2 and 9.0 sales happened.

As I said earlier in this thread, a collector I know has recently turned down $150K for his Hulk #1 8.5.

Where does that put Hulk #1 now in 8.0?

I'm not sure what your point is about comparing lower grades as I've already stated that in lower grades SC #4 is scarcer and thetefore seems to be fetching more.

But at the top end, I'd bet the farm that the highest graded Hulk #1, and likley 2nd and 3rd highest graded copies will continue to outsell SC #4.

It's not a 'how many grades ya got?' discussion.

The single highest graded Hulk #1 (a CGC 9.4) has probably (hypothetically) been a $500K+ book for a few years now and in this current market, I coukd see it going for much more now. In that mean time, a Showcase #4 has never exceeded $200K.

Hulk#1 is just tougher AND more sought after in high grade.

Like I said, I'd bet the farm on it.

Tougher by what means???

Hulk in 8.5 7 Copies

Showcase 4 in 8.5 3 Copies

Hulk in 9.0 11 copies

Showcase 2

Hulk in 9.2 4

Showcase 2

Hulk in 9.4 1

Showcase 2

Hulk 1 in 9.6 0

Showcase 1

Total copies above what we have been discussing:

Hulk 23 copies

Showcase 10 copies

So you think a book is #2 simply by 1 sale at the very top of the chart makes it number 2, rather than just about every other part of the spectrum?