• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mark Jewelers inserts...
19 19

1,027 posts in this topic

(For the record, 5% seems inordinately high. 5% of the newsstand books I own are not ND/MJ, and I have a cross-section of these books gathered all over the place for the past 25 years.)
We'd have to determine the total amount of a print run that was distributed through Stars & Stripes and AAFES stores, so that number never seemed entirely out of line. That would only be 10,000 copies of a 200,000 print run for example. That less than 5% of your books have inserts might be more a result of your geography than anything else. If you lived near Fort Hood, Fort Bragg, or a large base in Germany I'd suspect you'd see a percentage greater than 5% of books that had inserts.

That's a reasonable guess, but my books have come from every area of the country.

Granted, those are anecdotal numbers, but....when you consider that roughly 1.5% of the total US population served in the military during the Vietnam era (and drastically fell off with the end of the draft in 1973), it seems odd that they would print 4-10 times that amount, as a percentage of total copies printed, for distribution to military bases.

(Source: http://www.prb.org/source/acf1396.pdf Page 5, figure 1)

As well....during this time period, 200,000 was a very low amount of copies printed. Hulk, for example, had a print run of about 375,000 copies, with around 200,000 sold on average, during 1974.

5% of the total print run doesn't seem reasonable, against a group that only represented .5-1.5% of the total US population. That would make around 20,000 copies of Hulk #187, for example.

For total numbers of potential customers at an exchange store you would also need to include eligible family members and retirees, and DoD employed civilians.

Sorry for coming in late to the conversation.

While it is probably fun to speculate I don't think anyone could put a number on the percentage of comics with the MJ insert. You could probably boost the number a tad since some German dealers/collectors were sold comics after they were taken off the racks of Stars and Stripes stores. Hence why I have like a dozen copies of X-Men 242 still in my collection that I bought from a German dealer in 2003. :eek:

Also, no direct market comics have the insert unless it's was an error in distributing.

Jim

(For the record, 5% seems inordinately high. 5% of the newsstand books I own are not ND/MJ, and I have a cross-section of these books gathered all over the place for the past 25 years.)
We'd have to determine the total amount of a print run that was distributed through Stars & Stripes and AAFES stores, so that number never seemed entirely out of line. That would only be 10,000 copies of a 200,000 print run for example. That less than 5% of your books have inserts might be more a result of your geography than anything else. If you lived near Fort Hood, Fort Bragg, or a large base in Germany I'd suspect you'd see a percentage greater than 5% of books that had inserts.

That's a reasonable guess, but my books have come from every area of the country.

Granted, those are anecdotal numbers, but....when you consider that roughly 1.5% of the total US population served in the military during the Vietnam era (and drastically fell off with the end of the draft in 1973), it seems odd that they would print 4-10 times that amount, as a percentage of total copies printed, for distribution to military bases.

As well....during this time period, 200,000 was a very low amount of copies printed. Hulk, for example, had a print run of about 375,000 copies, with around 200,000 sold on average, during 1974.

5% of the total print run doesn't seem reasonable, against a group that only represented .5-1.5% of the total US population. That would make around 20,000 copies of Hulk #187, for example.

For total numbers of potential customers at an exchange store you would also need to include eligible family members and retirees, and DoD employed civilians.

While it is probably fun to speculate I don't think anyone could put a number on the percentage of comics with the MJ insert. You could probably boost the number a tad since some German dealers/collectors were sold comics after they were taken off the racks of Stars and Stripes stores. Hence why I have like a dozen copies of X-Men 242 still in my collection that I bought from a German dealer in 2003. :eek:

Also, no direct market comics have the insert unless it's was an error in distributing.

Jim

I just wanted to thank you for all of your diligent and thorough research into the NDS/MJ inserts. Your site has been referenced numerous times as an authority and has raised the general collecting community's awareness about these cool and rare "variants".

Kudos and thanks again! (thumbs u

-J.

Jim

I just wanted to thank you for all of your diligent and thorough research into the NDS/MJ inserts. Your site has been referenced numerous times as an authority and has raised the general collecting community's awareness about these cool and rare "variants".

Kudos and thanks again! (thumbs u

-J.

Thank you. Spent a lot of money to figure it out. Stronguy is another very knowledgeable collector of these. He and Shadrock changed my mind on whether the inserts were distributed in the US.

Jim

Looks like a 9.0 ASM 129 with an MJ insert just went for $1600, about the price of the average 90 day of a 9.4 and about $500 (and 30%) more than the 90 day average for a 9.0:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-129-2-74-CGC-VF-NM-9-0-1ST-APP-PUNISHER-MARK-JEWELERS-/381150348936?hash=item58be54c688:g:hrgAAOSwstxU11iw

-J.

Looks like a 9.0 ASM 129 with an MJ insert just went for $1600, about the price of the average 90 day of a 9.4 and about $500 (and 30%) more than the 90 day average for a 9.0:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-129-2-74-CGC-VF-NM-9-0-1ST-APP-PUNISHER-MARK-JEWELERS-/381150348936?hash=item58be54c688:g:hrgAAOSwstxU11iw

-J.

I noticed this one has the "ENDED" banner on it. Does that mean it just ended or did it actually sell? Most of the ones I've seen that actually sell have the "SOLD" banner on them.

-J.

I noticed this one has the "ENDED" banner on it. Does that mean it just ended or did it actually sell? Most of the ones I've seen that actually sell have the "SOLD" banner on them.

Never mind. I see that it sold as a Buy it Now.

-J.

Never mind. I see that it sold as a Buy it Now.

(thumbs u

-J.

The 70's was the era of 7-11, K-Mart, and convenience stores for comic book distribution; drugstores and newsstands were on the decline for comic sales.

------------

every newsstand in NYC, manhattan at least, was well stocked with marvel comics well into the early 80s when i was growing up. i don't remember much DC, but i wasn't looking either.

of course, i understand that in most of the country newsstands probably ceased to exist in many places around that time too. they hung around here longer and there are still some, but i haven't seen comics (other than the occasional heavy metal magazine and spanish language comics) at them in about 15 years.

Does GPA not segment the sales on the Mark Jeweler inserts?

I won a Daredevil #168 CGC 9.2 during the MCS October auction and had looked at GPA prior to bidding and couldn't find anything and just checked some other books and haven't come across any sales either.

I won a Daredevil #168 CGC 9.2 during the MCS October auction and had looked at GPA prior to bidding and couldn't find anything and just checked some other books and haven't come across any sales either.

They don't segment them out but I do believe they will note if the book had a Mark Jewelers insert just as they would other variants of note.

They don't segment them out but I do believe they will note if the book had a Mark Jewelers insert just as they would other variants of note.

thanks, I appreciate the info. I just checked GPA for my completed sale and just as an FYI there is no note that it has the insert so unless I am missing something you would have to click on the cert for each sale to see which had the insert.

thanks, I appreciate the info. I just checked GPA for my completed sale and just as an FYI there is no note that it has the insert so unless I am missing something you would have to click on the cert for each sale to see which had the insert.

GPA does not yet parse out books with inserts, but they may have to start....

-J.