• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Near six figure MTG art sales

619 posts in this topic

The way I look at it is we are all free to bid however we like. What harm is it really if he bids in large or small increments. But that's me. I do get where you're coming from though

Daniel Chang is generally persona non grata among the majority of the community. This stems from many things including his personality, his business practices, and the fact that he's not really a collector. He's willing to sit on a piece forever to get the best price possible. None of these things offend me, and I'd deal with him if he had a piece I wanted at a price I wanted. The things that give me pause are all second hand accounts of underhanded things he's done, like skimming from consignments and going hard after art from families of the recently deceased (like Quinton Hoover's family). If he has done these things, I'd rather not deal with someone like that, and a lot of the community believes he has.

Edited by JesterSB

... and going hard after art from families of the recently deceased (like Quinton Hoover's family). If he has done these things, I'd rather not deal with someone like that, and a lot of the community believes he has.

Oh boy, giving Magic the Gathering an entirely different meaning.

Daniel Chang is generally persona non grata among the majority of the community. This stems from many things including his personality, his business practices, and the fact that he's not really a collector. He's willing to sit on a piece forever to get the best price possible. None of these things offend me, and I'd deal with him if he had a piece I wanted at a price I wanted. The things that give me pause are all second hand accounts of underhanded things he's done, like skimming from consignments and going hard after art from families of the recently deceased (like Quinton Hoover's family). If he has done these things, I'd rather not deal with someone like that, and a lot of the community believes he has.

That he said, she said stuff is so hard to really pin down though. What does "going hard" mean? Is it bothering them in their time of grief? Or is it making respectful offers? (Keeping in mind that a death can bring unexpected expenses and/or loss of income to the family). A lot of that slant boils down to who's telling the story.

The skimming from consignments, if true, is much more straightforward. What's the story there?

Like I said, all this stuff is second or third hand, so i don't automatically believe any of it. That said, when there's this much smoke, there's usually fire. I'd rather not perpetuate potentially untrue things, so I feel bad even posting what I did, so I won't go into the gory details of the consignment story I heard.

I don't think much of that one either. Its better than the Opal, but same disease. Its a featured card of the set, so the artist (or client!) feels he has to deliver a big splashy complex image on what should be a simple illo that focuses tightly on the subject without a bunch of extraneous crepe.

Ahh, I'm sure he loves it. Paying big just rises the market on the rest of his inventory. For all the flack he gets he also deserves some credit for promoting this a bit. I remember YouTube videos and emails and whatnot about mtg art from him, and I wasn't even serious about it