• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gladiator by Philip Wylie can be yours for 30 days.

33 posts in this topic

I recently was given this 1951 edition by a friend who knew I collect comics. It is a quick read and very interesting to see the similarities between Hugo Danner and Superman.

What I will do is ship it anywhere in the world at my expense but the deal is you must read it within 30 days and post it back in this thread that it is now ready for the next board member. Just ship it anywhere in the world at your expense and keep the chain going.

Write your CGC board name, location and month and year inside front cover.

20160910_180241_zpsvqhgjvuv.jpg

Gladiator is an American science fiction novel first published in 1930 and written by Philip Wylie. The story concerns a scientist who invents an "alkaline free-radical" serum to "improve" humankind by granting the proportionate strength of an ant and the leaping ability of the grasshopper. The scientist injects his pregnant wife with the serum and his son Hugo Danner is born with superhuman strength, speed, and bulletproof skin. Hugo spends much of the novel hiding his powers, rarely getting a chance to openly use them. The novel is widely assumed to have been an inspiration for Superman,[1] though no confirmation exists that Superman creators Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster were influenced by it.[2] The concept of a human having the proportional strength of an insect is very similar to the concept of Spider-Man having strength proportional to that of a spider.

Wiki info

Edited by lhcomics

Sorry to Leroy - did not notice my 30 days were up -

Same as OP - I will ship worldwide to any boardie - only catch is that you will have to do the same after 30 days (ship to another boardie)........

Post here if you are interested

Done with the book. Ready to pass over to Shadroch now. Please PM me.

The story was interesting, yes I see a bit of Superman in parts. And I believe I see a touch of Invincible in character.

Bump, as I'm a few days away from finishing
:applause:

Am I next? :grin:

Looks like Hado is next and maybe this ideal has something to it and continues for a long time.

I hope everyone so far has put your CGC board name, location and month and year inside front cover.

Leroy