• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just these Alex Schomburg Covers / XELA
3 3

149 posts in this topic

wonder13.jpg

I'm going blind looking at your books. They look like they came off the press. (worship)

Damn Bedrock, that puppy hurts my eyes! Looks like you got some "cracking" to do still!

Already done :acclaim:

Have always thought that the Excitings don't get as much attention as they deserve. Book for book I think they stack up well against the Wonders and Startlings. #57 (bow and arrow), 60 (shark), 61 (panther), 62 (just great colors), and 66 (red eagle) are among my favs!! And that's no disrespect to the Wonders and Startlings. Just saying Exciting doesn't get enough love.

Thrilllings - with a couple notable exceptions - have weaker XELA art.

Have always thought that the Excitings don't get as much attention as they deserve. Book for book I think they stack up well against the Wonders and Startlings. #57 (bow and arrow), 60 (shark), 61 (panther), 62 (just great colors), and 66 (red eagle) are among my favs!! And that's no disrespect to the Wonders and Startlings. Just saying Exciting doesn't get enough love.

.... for me, they all have that little extra appeal due to their uniqueness, but each title has it's standouts. I've always been drawn to books that have both nice covers and appealing interior craftsmanship as well. As a lover of Si-Fi , I can understand where the Wonder and Startling titles get the boost, but the jungle books have some real sharp material also. The Thrillings have a handful of issues that have some really well done Frazetta work inside and can be some of the few bargains a Frazetta lover can still find. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

.... for me, they all have that little extra appeal due to their uniqueness, but each title has it's standouts. I've always been drawn to books that have both nice covers and appealing interior craftsmanship as well. As a lover of Si-Fi , I can understand where the Wonder and Startling titles get the boost, but the jungle books have some real sharp material also. The Thrillings have a handful of issues that have some really well done Frazetta work inside and can be some of the few bargains a Frazetta lover can still find. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Jimbo, good point about the interiors. And, I should have clarified. I still enjoy most Thrilling covers - and own them all. Just relative to Exciting, Wonder, and Startling they are not as consistently strong. That's a better way of wording it. (thumbs u

Edited by Vision75

I agree 100% with everything you have said in your post and i couldnt have written it better myself. I would also add that i think Schomburg / XELA airbrush covers are the most undervalued group of books from the golden Age with Exciting Comics being the most undervalued title which is why i use to collect them. The one on Comiclink's auction is the highest graded copy they have had for sale(the highest copy i ever had was a 9.0) and if it finishes at the current price that will be a bargain.