• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,436 posts in this topic

I have a number 7 coming in this week and will finally have my 1-15 in raw 4.0 to 6.0 (a couple are a little better than 6.0). I've learned you don't have to have 8s or 9s or slabs to have a happy hobby. I love them spread out on my desk. :grin:

I almost put 7 at the top of my list....... It, along with 6, are probably the two that I've read the most often. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

This might seem odd, but the order in which they were published is close.... for me. My order will change from time to time..... but I'll take a stab..... speaking just for myself, with less emphasis on value....my favorites, so to speak. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Thanks for the ranking, jimbo - never figured on ASM 5 being the least desirable! :o

What would be your desirability rankings for the first 10 issues of ASM?

With ASM 1 being presumed most desirable, and perhaps ASM 8 or ASM 10 least desirable, I don't want to conduct a poll but am more interested in your thoughts why (thnx).

With ASM 1 being presumed most desirable, and perhaps ASM 8 or ASM 10 least desirable, I don't want to conduct a poll but am more interested in your thoughts why (thnx).

:applause:

My ranking would be:

1 - Iconic cover, #1 issue.

3 - Introduces either villain 1 or 1A for Spidey.

2 - Great cover, iconic villain, hard book to find in presentable shape due to red cover

4 - Another iconic villain's 1st. For whatever reason, my favorite early cover.

6 - Iconic villain's first, dropped because cover (to me) is dull.

9 - Great villain, great cover

10 - Eh cover, Enforcers irrelevant now, but were big deal for first 40 issues or so

7 - Second vulture...did we really need to see him again so soon? :-P

8 - Bumped because of the first Spidey - Torch interaction. meh issue otherwise.

5 - Way too early in a title's run for a filler issue. Such is life.

Edited by TSwift25

Thanks for your thoughts - there is so much goodness in the early ASM's, it's difficult to gauge some issues.

One such case for me was ASM 5 vs. ASM 7, but it seems ASM 7 is getting more traction than I thought it would.

Doom is a GREAT character, but with him already being established in the FF series and Ditko's just awful drawing of him on the cover definitely puts this one near the bottom of the first 10 for me. I don't know if I want to laugh or cry when I look at the cover.

I put #1, 3, 2, 4, 9, 6, 7, 10, 5, 8 as my top 10.

So ASM 3 is pretty much the second most desirable issue in Top Ten, with ASM 2 close behind in third.

ASM 4, 6, and 9 were another question for me, looks like it's ASM 4 with a close contest between ASM 6 and ASM 9.

Again, I appreciate everyone's thoughts...

Late to the party, but here are my personal Top 10 preferences...

1 - 'Nuff said

3 - Doc Ock is awesome

6 - I personally love the Lizard

4 - Sandman

9 - Electro

Note: #4 and 9 are VERY close for me but place a slight edge with Sandman...

2 - I am not a big fan of the Vulture. I find him to be one of the "weaker" Spidey villains.

5 - Still early Doctor Doom!

10 - Enforcers were a big part of early Spidey, could be "modernized" maybe?

8 - Torch! Part of story making Spidey and Pete such good friends and on occasion, adversaries

7 - Not a big Vulture fan, 2nd appearance...meh...

Excellent thoughts, thanks - will upcoming movie hype give the Vulture some upswing?

I've wondered how much movie hype can actually affect a book that is already so pricey. It can obviously push cheaper books a lot, but I'd be skeptical of too much influence on a book of this caliber.

Is it possible to tell via GPA how much ASM #9 was influenced by Electro appearing in the last film? That may be the best comparison as another single digit ASM. I don't think the movie hype machine was quite in place for Doc Ock's appearance in Spider-man 2.

1 - It's #1. An FF appearance is always a good thing. meh cover.

3 - Doc Ock! Pretty good cover

6 - Along with 10, the best story. OK cover

9 - Dunno why, but always wanted a copy. Probably will be the first one on this list that I buy

2 - Not a big Vulture fan, but best cover of the bunch

4 - Great story and villain. Not my favorite cover though

10 - Bad cover, but tied with 6 for best story for me. Always liked this issue

5 - Doom good. Ditko Doom bad.

7 - 2nd Vulture. Blah

8 - Don't like the cover, don't like the stories.

Never understood why people don't really like 10. I think it's one of the better reads of the first 10. Or, at least when I read it for the first time, I liked it and 6 the best. Probably the crappy cover.

Doom is my favorite villain, but I don't like Ditko's version. Especially on the cover. Just terrible.

I'd probably rank 4 higher but (blasphemy!) I don't like the 4-panel cover (I really like the recreation that Terry had done over in OA using the splash from that book though!).

Edited by chrisco37

So ASM 3 is pretty much the second most desirable issue in Top Ten, with ASM 2 close behind in third.

ASM 4, 6, and 9 were another question for me, looks like it's ASM 4 with a close contest between ASM 6 and ASM 9.

Again, I appreciate everyone's thoughts...

I think there are distinct tiers here fore sure:

Tier 1 - issue 1

Tier 2 - issues 2 and 3

Tier 3 - issues 4, 6 and 9

Tier 4 - all the rest

#1 (it's Spider-Man #1)

#3 (top 2 Spidey villain, good cover)

#2 (great cover)

#4 (memorable cover, tough book)

#6 (good villain, decent cover)

#9 (good cover, decent villain)

#7 (solid cover)

#5 (Doom & Spidey?)

#8 (forgettable story and cover)

#10 (lame cover)