• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,479 posts in this topic

The entry level market for af15s has exploded in value in the last 3 years. For example looking, at comicconect website i see the asking price as 10k for a 1.5 blue. Going from $10k(entry level) up to $15k(3.5-4.0). My point big jump in grade range for a $5k bump. Hard to put a dollar amount per grade point on this book.

Entry level copies are certainly getting more and more expensive as each day goes by.

The 0.5 that went back and forth between us seems like a bargain only a year later.

Better get one now if you are on the fence.

I agree...I think it looks super nice for the grade. It has a subscription crease but doesnt seem to break color through the length of the book.

I agree that it looks very very nice in the scan. But according to the graders notes the staple is rusted and recessed and the subscription crease breaks color. I was disappointed to read the notes. I was so, so ready to go for this but you know what they say... patience is a virtue.

Obviously the slightly rusted one staple isn't holding back the price on the book. Not a surprise based on how nice presenting the book is.

I sometimes wonder if some people's opinions on rusty staples are based on anything more than some perceived required pro forma knew jerk response.

-J.

The entry level market for af15s has exploded in value in the last 3 years. For example looking, at comicconect website i see the asking price as 10k for a 1.5 blue. Going from $10k(entry level) up to $15k(3.5-4.0). My point big jump in grade range for a $5k bump. Hard to put a dollar amount per grade point on this book.

Entry level copies are certainly getting more and more expensive as each day goes by.

The 0.5 that went back and forth between us seems like a bargain only a year later.

Better get one now if you are on the fence.

Yes, this trend seems to be taking place with all of the big dollar books, especially in terms of the HTF GA books.

For example, even a Poor ungraded 0.5 copy of Action 13 sold on HA for almost $15K. The entry level 0.5 graded copies of Detective 31 now appears to have moved well into the $20K+ range based upon their last few sales. :o

I guess for the collectors without the deep pockets, it's simply a matter of being able to acquire an affordable copy when they do become available in the marketplace. hm

Obviously the slightly rusted one staple isn't holding back the price on the book. Not a surprise on how nice presenting the book is.

I sometimes wonder if some people's opinions on rusty staples is based on anything more than some perceived required pro forma knew jerk response.

-J.

hm

I was too young to know, but back in the early 70's did collectors disparage the Guide as inaccurate when they agreed to pay over Guide for books?

That was the point of discussion that I was following.

Most collectors I knew thought the prices were way too high on most books. The "Overpriced Guide" was a common joke. The cynical interpretation was that Overstreet was trying to boost prices on books that his dealer friends had for sale.

I never really bought that view and, in any event, he did a great service to the hobby by publishing the Guide. There was just a huge amount of information in there about why the numbering systems were the way they were -- which series picked up from previous series, cases where the same number had been mistakenly given in consecutive months, and so on -- some info on content and artists, and a lot of other stuff.

Much of the information was already available and had been figured out by other people -- like the Thompsons work on the Four Color series -- but it was scattered across fanzines and dealers' catalogs. Having it brought together in one place was a great step forward.

The hobby could never have progressed the way it did without the Guide. Of course, if Overstreet hadn't done it someone else eventually would have (and not to say that there hadn't been a couple of earlier unsuccessful attempts at assembling price guides). But he was the one who actually did it successfully, for which he deserves a long and stormy ovation.

I was too young to know, but back in the early 70's did collectors disparage the Guide as inaccurate when they agreed to pay over Guide for books?

That was the point of discussion that I was following.

Most collectors I knew thought the prices were way too high on most books. The "Overpriced Guide" was a common joke. The cynical interpretation was that Overstreet was trying to boost prices on books that his dealer friends had for sale.

I never really bought that view and, in any event, he did a great service to the hobby by publishing the Guide. There was just a huge amount of information in there about why the numbering systems were the way they were -- which series picked up from previous series, cases where the same number had been mistakenly given in consecutive months, and so on -- some info on content and artists, and a lot of other stuff.

Much of the information was already available and had been figured out by other people -- like the Thompsons work on the Four Color series -- but it was scattered across fanzines and dealers' catalogs. Having it brought together in one place was a great step forward.

The hobby could never have progressed the way it did without the Guide. Of course, if Overstreet hadn't done it someone else eventually would have (and not to say that there hadn't been a couple of earlier unsuccessful attempts at assembling price guides). But he was the one who actually did it successfully, for which he deserves a long and stormy ovation.

:golfclap:

....and a vigorous belt whipping to any and all dissenters...... or, as my parrot Alex Birdie would say, "Eat your vegetables !".........GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=667422

And just like that, the price I paid for my 5.0 has been surpassed. Does CC report its sales to GPA?

That book has unbelievable appeal. Books with strong appeal always sell for more than average looking books.

And for Roy and all of the other Thundra fans, it looks like the first issue of Thundra came in at $30 in Mint condition. lol

lol

I'm sorry. I have no idea where that idea came from. Still trying to figure it out. :blush:

Three new GPA highs in today's auction : :o

4.0- $19,200

5.0- $29,501

6.5- $51,070

Having "patience" with this book just means that you will spend more money. :ohnoez:

-J.

I beat gpa by a bit...sold a 4.0 for 20K and a 5.0 for 30K less than 2 weeks ago...and a 4.5 for 19K a month ago...

Three new GPA highs in today's auction : :o

4.0- $19,200

5.0- $29,501

6.5- $51,070

Having "patience" with this book just means that you will spend more money. :ohnoez:

-J.

I beat gpa by a bit...sold a 4.0 for 20K and a 5.0 for 30K less than 2 weeks ago...and a 4.5 for 19K a month ago...

Damn man. (worship)

-J.