• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

Me and the wife just saw this today. Wow...bad beyond belief.

Liked the new Wonder Woman...thought Affleck was decent enough as Batman. The plot / story was a big bunch of poop.

As many problems as I had with Civil War...at least that movie was fun.

I loved BvS

Why? (shrug)

Was it the fight scenes?

It can't have been the paper thin plot, poor motivations and poor characterizations...right?

It all boils down to personal opinion. Some loved it, some hated it, some thought it wasn't bad but could've been better. Looking at the varied opinions in this thread, it would be difficult to create a benchmark for why people love or hate this movie.

For example...

The viewers who found the plot too difficult to follow probably wouldn't describe it as paper thin.

Batman's motivation was basic human overreaction. Superman's motivation was to do the right thing. When compared to what motivates a guy to put on a robotic goblin suit and fly around on a hover board, it doesn't seem quite so poor.

The characterisations fit with the tone of the movie. There's deviation from the comic books, however this isn't a true comic book adaptation. The Nolan trilogy was awesome but I doubt anyone would see Bale's Batman as the definitive comic book version.

As I said, it's all just down to personal opinion...

Oh and the warehouse fight scene was superb (thumbs u

Yep, the fight scenes were pretty good.

Liked the new Wonder Woman...thought Affleck was decent enough as Batman. The plot / story was a big bunch of poop.

I loved BvS

Why? (shrug)

Was it the fight scenes?

It can't have been the paper thin plot, poor motivations and poor characterizations...right?

It all boils down to personal opinion. Some loved it, some hated it, some thought it wasn't bad but could've been better. Looking at the varied opinions in this thread, it would be difficult to create a benchmark for why people love or hate this movie.

For example...

The viewers who found the plot too difficult to follow probably wouldn't describe it as paper thin.

Batman's motivation was basic human overreaction. Superman's motivation was to do the right thing. When compared to what motivates a guy to put on a robotic goblin suit and fly around on a hover board, it doesn't seem quite so poor.

The characterisations fit with the tone of the movie. There's deviation from the comic books, however this isn't a true comic book adaptation. The Nolan trilogy was awesome but I doubt anyone would see Bale's Batman as the definitive comic book version.

Loved everything about it.

I loved BvS

Why? (shrug)

Was it the fight scenes?

For example...

I loved BvS

Why? (shrug)

Was it the fight scenes?

For example...

lol

Well, after swearing I would not own copy of this movie after watching it in the theater, my sweet wife bought a copy for me as a surprise early birthday gift. Boy was I surprised. So, I gave the movie another watch last night and here are some thoughts:

First, kudos to Bosco685 and Davenport for their efforts of explaining the movie in a more favorable light and fighting an uphill battle to sway popular opinion. That's not an easy task as many of us were heavily disgusted leaving the theater. It did help watching the movie with their perspective.

1. It's a better movie the second time around, but still not as enjoyable of a watch as any of the Marvel movies, with a few exceptions. My opinion is improved but I will always be bothered by DC giving us this version of these guys so early in the series.

2. I will say I have warmed up to what this movie was trying to do, which is not to be a Marvel movie and give us something different. It is a thought provoking movie and is more than eye candy and action with good depth to what is going on in both heroes' stories, especially Batman.

3. Still had the nagging feeling that while the story being told by Snyder is good, it isn't the story that I think most of us want at this point.

4. The Batman scene in the warehouse where he takes on Luthor's henchmen is still the best part of the movie. All out action and in that moment, Affleck IS Batman. If DC could capture the feel of that moment, without the killing, and expand on it, they could crush it. Give us more of that and don't make getting there so dark.

5. Still think production value is top notch, acting is top notch but the choppiness of the story still makes it tough to follow sometimes. Alfred is the real gem in this movie.

6. Eisenberg's Luthor is more annoying than ever. Why is it so hard to get this villain right? I think I like him better than Kevin Spacey's version, but not by much. However, I think I understand his motivation better.

7. Gal Gadot may be better appreciated second time around, especially the fight scene. She is going to be incredible as WW in her own movie. I also like the scenes with her and Bruce. Give us more of that and the next movie will much better.

8. The special features in the blu ray are almost worth the price of the dvd. I really like the interviews with the producers, directors and Geoff Johns as they move through the various characters in the Justice League.

Overall, it's a bit more tolerable and I understand where they were going with this movie better, but dang it, I don't think it rates close to the last 2 Capt. America movies for total enjoyment. DC has got to find a way to make these things more enjoyable and give us more of the classic feel of the characters.

2c

I didn't see it at the theaters. Bought it and watched the extended version. I enjoyed it. Best BA movie for me, I dislike him as an actor.

Chasing Amy? Dogma? Boiler Room? I actually think he was at his best in Mallrats, though it was a smallish part.

I thought he was a good Batman too.

Amy Adams Felt For Zack Snyder After Batman v Superman, Talks Justice League Morale

While negative reviews for Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice have apparently not materially affected morale on the set of director Zack Snyder's follow-up Justice League, franchise actor Amy Adams (who plays Lois Lane in the films) expressed her sympathies for the filmmaker during a recent interview.

“You want there to be respect for the films you do, and when that doesn't happen, it does hit a soft spot for everyone involved,” Adams told Variety's Playback Podcast, which you can stream below. “I just felt for Zack. Zack’s like the nicest person ever, and to see him kind of talked about like that was really hard for me, because he’s really such a respectful director.”

She also said that while she hasn't yet watched the Ultimate Edition of Batman V Superman, her husband has, and that he was angry the studio had released the theatrical cut rather than the improved, longer version.

I've always like Ben Affleck, even though you pretty much have to ignore his 2001-2005 filmography (aka, his "dating J-Lo" period).

He's was only OK in Mallrats to me, but he was Matt Damon-solid in Chasing Amy, Boiler Room, Bounce, & Good Will Hunting -- as well as latter day films like Hollywoodland, State of Play, The Town, and Gone Girl.

He was _perfectly_ cast in Gone Girl from the jump -- the book describes Nick Dunne as "having the smug type of face you just want to punch."

The thing is so many people just remember his tabloid fodder days of 2001-2005, where he hadn't quite made the leap from pretty boy of the moment to serious dramatic actor.

He's paid his dues and I think reestablished his credibility as a director.

And I think he's going to knock "The Accountant" out of the park.

The best film Affleck was in is Dazed and Confused IMHO. McConaughey was great in it as well.

Having grown up in a small town, I can say it is a film that stands the test of time well. :applause:

Edited by kimik

The best film Affleck was in is Dazed and Confused IMHO. McConaughey was great in it as well.

Having grown up in a small town, I can say it is a film that stands the test of time well. :applause:

go watch "everybody wants some", the spiritual sequel.

We finally get a clear look at that armor suit Flash was wearing when he traveled through a wormhole to warn Bruce Wayne about future events.

Get A Closer Look At Cyborg's Prototype Suit And The Flash's Armored Costume From BATMAN V SUPERMAN

K4ovdiQ.png

Thanks to Ironhead Studios, the artists behind crafting the most iconic suits in comic book movie history, we now have a better look at what the prototype version for Cyborg could have been, and a much more detailed look at The Flash's battle armor, which the hero used to travel through the Speed Force and time to warn Bruce (Ben Affleck) of an impending threat.

The final versions of the Cyborg and The Flash's designs have come a long way since Batman v Superman, and it's clear that Warner Bros. and Geoff Johns' current mission to steer the future DC Films onto more hopeful and optimistic path has dramatically affected the overall look of the characters

I let a little time pass since watching the Theatrical Edition of BvS and just watched the Ultimate Edition. Excellent movie 9/10. (It loses half a point for an extended bathroom scene :eek: )

Despite being 3 hours, this should have been the version released in cinemas. Everything gelled better. Whether it was the general storyline or just how the characters developed, it was much fuller and smoother.

And I still like the dark tone :sumo: Keep it up DC/WB.

I let a little time pass since watching the Theatrical Edition of BvS and just watched the Ultimate Edition. Excellent movie 9/10. (It loses half a point for an extended bathroom scene :eek: )

Despite being 3 hours, this should have been the version released in cinemas. Everything gelled better. Whether it was the general storyline or just how the characters developed, it was much fuller and smoother.

And I still like the dark tone :sumo: Keep it up DC/WB.

+ 1 of many

:grin: