• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! New members, please introduce yourselves here!
24 24

2,912 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, after my DD hiccup I would like to take the time to introduce my self. My name is Ronnie and I'm 45 years old (46 next week) I've been collecting comics since 1980'ish. I collected hardcore through the 90s and was forced to slow down due to joining the Military (Navy) I would buy issues here and there while I was in the service, but I didn't have time to really follow any story lines. I kept my collection though. I retired from the Navy not too long ago and got the bug again. Since then I have been buying up issues that I've needed for my AMS collection and others that grab my interests. When I left the hobby there were no forums and such. So all this is new to me. The hobby has changed a quite a bit as far as titles, art, and story lines go. I mainly focus on Golden, Silver, and bronze age stuff. Anything after the mid 90s and I'm pretty much lost when it comes to story lines and new characters. But I am slowly catching up.

Welcome. :hi:

I'm a fellow ASM collector and was a east-coast, blackshoe SWO for a few years. What was your rate?

Welcome, there are many ASM run collectors here.

Hello everyone, after my DD hiccup I would like to take the time to introduce my self. My name is Ronnie and I'm 45 years old (46 next week) I've been collecting comics since 1980'ish. I collected hardcore through the 90s and was forced to slow down due to joining the Military (Navy) I would buy issues here and there while I was in the service, but I didn't have time to really follow any story lines. I kept my collection though. I retired from the Navy not too long ago and got the bug again. Since then I have been buying up issues that I've needed for my AMS collection and others that grab my interests. When I left the hobby there were no forums and such. So all this is new to me. The hobby has changed a quite a bit as far as titles, art, and story lines go. I mainly focus on Golden, Silver, and bronze age stuff. Anything after the mid 90s and I'm pretty much lost when it comes to story lines and new characters. But I am slowly catching up.

Welcome Ronnie :hi:

Gold, Silver & Bronze is a good place to be. As far as moderns goes check out some of the publications of Image such as Walking Dead, Saga, and Outcast. Preacher which is published by Vertigo is also a good read. Not really hero related but all have great story lines IMO.

Also thank you for your service to our country. (worship)

My name is Andres.

I write and am artist for a book, Pariah Missouri that I have been self-publishing for 4 years.

It's an occult frontier saga.

I am a big comic book reader, some collecting and I am big on games, film and outdoors as well.

Andres

My name is Andres.

I write and am artist for a book, Pariah Missouri that I have been self-publishing for 4 years.

It's an occult frontier saga.

I am a big comic book reader, some collecting and I am big on games, film and outdoors as well.

Andres

Welcome Andres, Looked at some of your work, great stuff!

Hi all. I’m a long-time lurker and on-again/off-again collector from Canada (West Coast). I figured it was time to introduce myself to the boards, and I apologize in advance if this is (way) too long.

I first discovered comics in the mid-seventies when a friend from my Grade 3 class lent me a few issues of Richie Rich. By the first few pages, I was hooked. My favorite stories were ones where he’d have to escape after being zapped by some mad scientist’s shrink ray, or be forced to battle bad guys like Dr. N-R-Gee or the Onion (breath so bad it could melt a bank vault’s steel door!).

Soon, my friends and I were trolling every used book shop within bike range and grabbing any comics (Harvey, Charlton, Gold Key, Archie, DC, Marvel) we could get our hands on at half the cover price. We never worried about the condition (they all had blue grease pen prices on the cover), for us a comic was a comic.

But then I wandered into one used bookstore and spotted the first issue of John Carter, Warlord of Mars. It was in a plastic bag and the owner of the store, an old lady doing crosswords behind the counter where they hid the good stuff (Penthouse, Swank, etc.) from our prying eyes, actually wanted MORE than the cover price. Three times! Seventy-five cents!!

My friends and I couldn't figure it out (we were probably nine years old at the time). How could a used comic be worth more than a brand new one?

Then I found out. My dad decided to take us to Disneyland in the summer of 1979. We were driving there, of course, and to keep us quiet he pulled into a bookstore and told us to grab a book to read during the ride. And that was when I found it - The Overstreet Comic Price Guide #9.

My dad didn't want to buy it, the book was almost $10! He told me I’d like Kidnapped - the novel, not the Classics Illustrated version - better. Needless to say, I pleaded, annoyed and eventually convinced him to buy me that big, beautiful OSPG. I spent that entire trip going over that book cover to cover, looking for and finding many of the used comics I'd collected (i.e. Swamp Thing #1) inside.

But what really captured my attention wasn’t the actual price guide – it was the ads, one in particular. There was a comic store right near where I lived! It was on 4th Avenue and called The Comicshop.

I still remember the first time I went through that door, fought my way past all the hippies (by then – 1979 – relics of a bygone era), and climbed the stairs to step into comic-collecting heaven.

There were walls of new comics and comic-related paraphernalia lining the store (at that time I thought comics only came on a spinner rack) and in the centre were row after row of used comics, bagged and boarded, more than I’d seen in my life.

I spent hours, days, weeks there, standing shoulder to shoulder with fellow collectors sorting through an almost endless array of back issues. It seemed like any comic you were hunting for could be found in one of those rows. And if it wasn’t there, it was on the wall behind the cashier. That’s where they kept the good stuff. I remember seeing old issues of Action and Detective and first issues of Fantastic Four, Hulk, and Spider-Man. The sticker prices staggered me. The Amazing Fantasy #15 was almost $500!

At that time I was far more interested in quantity than quality (I remember reading a copy of Richie Rich where he mentioned he had one issue of every comic ever printed and I figured that was a good goal at the time), so I was spending my $2 allowance each week buying as many comics as I could, which often meant sorting through the boxes of coverless comics hidden away underneath the regular back issues in search of bargains.

But on my twelfth birthday my dad gave me $20 to spend at The Comicshop and I made a momentous decision; I asked the cashier if I could see some of the comics on the wall behind the counter. I ended up walking out of the store with a 20-year-old copy of X-men #6 (with Sub-Mariner and the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants on the cover). My dad couldn’t believe I’d spent the entire $20 on one book. He wasn’t mad, just amazed that one comic could be worth so much.

He told me how when he’d been young he’d had comics too, but never saved them like I did. He’d read them cover to cover and then trade them to friends for a nickel a piece, which he’d then use to buy more comics.

Dollar signs flashed through my head as I imagined the comics he’d let slip through his nickel-hungry fingers. I whipped out my price guide and asked him to show me which ones he’d had. He didn’t remember. But he did remember his favorite: Captain Marvel.

It took me a moment to figure out who he meant, and when I did I grabbed my copy of Shazam #28 and showed it to him. Seeing his old favorite gave him a kick, and he was happy to see I was fond of the same heroes he’d once admired. There was only one problem. I hadn’t bought the comic because of Captain Marvel, I’d bought it because of the other guy on the cover – Black Adam.

That’s when I realized all of my favorite comics were ones with villains on the cover, whether it was the dangerous Dr. N-R-Gee or the menacing Magneto. It wasn’t the heroes that had captured my attention, it was the bad guys. I didn’t want to join the Fantastic Four, I wanted to be Galactus!

Unfortunately, I never got the chance to devour the universe or even eat a planet. I started discovering other comics (usually under my older brother’s bed), like the Furry Freak Brothers, Harold Hedd and Heavy Metal. Then I discovered girls. Comics were soon forgotten and so was the collection.

Luckily, my mom wasn’t one of those mothers who threw their kid’s comics away. Instead, remembering how important they’d once been to a twelve year old boy, she boxed them up and put them away and is a big part of the reason I still have them today.

I’ve bought relatively few comics in the decades since, and when I get the urge to read some I tend to pick up reprints of issues (DC Showcase, Marvel Essentials, etc) I once dared to dream of owning. And as the years have passed my collection has grown smaller, not larger. Time, moves, and relationships have led me to trim the bulk of it over the years (on EBay – mainly the new stuff I bought in the early eighties).

My goal of matching Richie Rich’s collection (every comic ever printed) is probably out of reach, but my love of those old comics, those classic villains, hasn’t diminished. I still treasure my X-Men #6 (CGC graded it a 9.0 about a decade ago) and many others that I managed to snare in those early years.

But times have changed. The Comicshop has moved to a new location, the hippies are gone (replaced by hipsters), and their meager back issue selection almost seems like an afterthought. Online is apparently the place to be, so that’s why I’m introducing myself here.

My collecting focus is mainly early appearances of Marvel villains like Magneto, Dr. Doom, U-Foes, etc. I’d love to chase the DC villains too, but a first appearance of the Joker is a little out of my price range. I’m hoping to spot some bargains in the Forum Only Selling area, and while I’d love a sweet deal on a VF/NM copy of Journey to Mystery #85, I’d happily settle for a nice copy of Richie Rich Cash #1!

Hello!

I've been collecting comics on and off for about 25 years. I got into Sonic the Hedgehog comics from Archie during the heyday of the franchise. I collected Spider-man and other Marvel comics for a while, although I don't follow the brand much these days.

My favorite comics, by far, are Star Wars comics. I've been a Star Wars fan almost my entire life, and although I was not a big fan of The Force Awakens, I am looking forward to what Disney has in store for the franchise in the years to come. My collection focuses on rare and hard to find items, including comics, trades, books, and pins.

I only have about 5 CGC'd Star Wars comics at the moment (Christopher's action figure variants), but I'm planning to sign up for a membership later this year so I can start submitting the many variants I have to get slabbed.

I look forward to getting to know people here. Thanks!

Welcome to the boards fellow Canadian.

I hope you'll share some images of your favorite books in the appropriate threads.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I plan on doing just that (sharing images) as soon as I finish reading through all the threads on scanning, posting, creating emojis, yoda yada. Hopefully it won't take seven years, like my last post...

Hey Folks,

Just another Canadian (prairie pride) joining the ranks.

Beginning with Spawn, Venom and Wolverine, the trifecta over-the-top 90s stuff that I loved to hell as a kid. Nowadays still into the image and independents for present day reading material.

For collecting I'm trying to finish my silver age Silver Surfer run which is almost done. Reading Infinity Gauntlet started my Surfer craze. After collecting all18 I'm finally going to read them all.

Besides that, I've been also looking to start a Marvel Conan run and who knows what else. In general I never get tired going into the comic store(s) and looking at older comics.

Welcome to the boards fellow Canadian.

I hope you'll share some images of your favorite books in the appropriate threads.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I plan on doing just that (sharing images) as soon as I finish reading through all the threads on scanning, posting, creating emojis, yoda yada. Hopefully it won't take seven years, like my last post...

Yoda Yada Yada

Hey Folks,

Just another Canadian (prairie pride) joining the ranks.

Beginning with Spawn, Venom and Wolverine, the trifecta over-the-top 90s stuff that I loved to hell as a kid. Nowadays still into the image and independents for present day reading material.

For collecting I'm trying to finish my silver age Silver Surfer run which is almost done. Reading Infinity Gauntlet started my Surfer craze. After collecting all18 I'm finally going to read them all.

Besides that, I've been also looking to start a Marvel Conan run and who knows what else. In general I never get tired going into the comic store(s) and looking at older comics.

:hi:

Hey everyone!

Always watched the boards but never decided to join until recently and I'm glad I did! Anyways, I enjoy almost all things superheroes, history, art and design.I am a Industrial Designer by trade and grew up with 2 very artistic parents. My favorite character has always been Spider-Man.

Collected many 90's comics to read and enjoy stories when I was younger and had that lovely moment where you think your things are safe and find out that your mom has purged the house over the years and got rid of the things that you took for granted and didn't look at anymore (so heartbreaking lol). However, that kind of ignited a passion in me that I can't fully explain and slowly but surely got back into comic collecting. Now I have a pretty substantial Silver through Copper Age Comic Collection and I see no reason to stop as I love it!

Its just so awesome to have an outlet to share your interests with others and know that those same feelings exist in so many. Life's too short to be anything but a kid at heart and I know that is what I'll always be. So Hi guys!

Hello All! I must be honest...6 months ago I disliked both comics and superhero movies in general (besides Batman...i mean come on). Then...I was given a collection of about 180 Silver Age Comics (the good ones) and I am now smitten. My guncles who gave me the books just wanted to help me out financially but they will be very difficult to sell. In fact, I have only purchased since acquiring the collection. What I am trying to say is that I hate comics even more now for stealing all of my time!! But, it is great to be here and will be nice conversing with you all. I look forward to learning from you-

Michael

Hi Guys,

Another old guy (age 60) who's been collecting comics since the age of about seven.

Recently, my collection surpassed 10,000, with a bunch of Golden Age comics purchased at a flea market. They are COOL, among the oldest issues in my pile(!) even though they're in terrible condition (avg. 1.5, maybe).

Still, will soon be selling the lot of them, with all the classics Hulk 181, X-Men 94, Giant X-Men 1, X-Men 3, etc.

Any takers? It would be much nicer to have it go to a collector rather than a wholesaler who'll just carve it up for profit.

Ha, write and say hello if you want to just talk. My e-mail is jinglichabassol@gmail.com.

See ya,

Wade