• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

If a first appearance has two covers, I buy the one I like. But in all honesty to hear someone who collects marvel SA and BA keys talk about print runs being ANY factor in a book... That's absurd and hypocritical. Fantastic four 48 and Hulk 181 have a print run of like 1 billion lol

:gossip: For these variants print runs matter because they create the bulk of the demand. For Hulk #181 the demand is over what is on the inside. It's a big difference. When only the cover matters demand hangs by a very thin thread.

By that logic, Hulk #180 would be the more valuable and sought-after book. This is not the case. Collectors prefer #181 because of... the cover. (Just throwing this out there, although I do see the point you're trying to make.)

Also, many of these debates miss the fact that the hobby has grown into collectors purchasing many, many books purely for the cover artwork. It's art; not so different from buying a rare painting at this point. And the better the story behind it, the more it's worth.

If a first appearance has two covers, I buy the one I like. But in all honesty to hear someone who collects marvel SA and BA keys talk about print runs being ANY factor in a book... That's absurd and hypocritical. Fantastic four 48 and Hulk 181 have a print run of like 1 billion lol

:gossip: For these variants print runs matter because they create the bulk of the demand. For Hulk #181 the demand is over what is on the inside. It's a big difference. When only the cover matters demand hangs by a very thin thread.

By that logic, Hulk #180 would be the more valuable and sought-after book. This is not the case. Collectors prefer #181 because of... the cover. (Just throwing this out there, although I do see the point you're trying to make.)

Also, many of these debates miss the fact that the hobby has grown into collectors purchasing many, many books purely for the cover artwork. It's art; not so different from buying a rare painting at this point. And the better the story behind it, the more it's worth.

Im a cover collector

Im a cover collector

Same here.

Every trend in this hobby since it first showed signs of collectible attributions is with the collector's pocket in mind. From the packaging of books through print limits to variant covers, through grading companies, different slab series, census, and yes, ratio retailer incentives. DONT PRETEND LIKE YOU DONT KNOW THIS. Were all in this together because we love the hobby and we understand its worth to our personal collection as well as others.

There are things that make or break a book's value

The retailer incentive variant program is one of them.

By introducing access inventory to the market PAST INITIAL DISTRIBUTION POINT contradicts that program's validity and causes it to be flawed

I love this, but you are speaking to wrong audience. The current market isn't reading comics anymore.

Someone will come in and tell me they are, but they aren't a large majority anymore and I would argue its a thin majority in this market at best. This board is perfect example now.

Until the growing minority bleeds out of the hobby again its not going to return to some sort of balance.

I think that's a vague as I can make it without pointing fingers directly.

Edited by Fastballspecial

Bull:censored:. Prove it.

Hulk 180 is a Hulk/Wendigo story that has Wolverine in one panel that only exists to promote 181. Hulk 181 is a Wolverine/Hulk/Wendigo story.

Every trend in this hobby since it first showed signs of collectible attributions is with the collector's pocket in mind. From the packaging of books through print limits to variant covers, through grading companies, different slab series, census, and yes, ratio retailer incentives. DONT PRETEND LIKE YOU DONT KNOW THIS. Were all in this together because we love the hobby and we understand its worth to our personal collection as well as others.

By introducing access inventory to the market PAST INITIAL DISTRIBUTION POINT contradicts that program's validity and causes it to be flawed

I love this, but you are speaking to wrong audience. The current market isn't reading comics anymore.

Someone will come in and tell me they are, but they aren't a large majority anymore and I would argue its a thin majority in this market at best. This board is perfect example now.

Until the growing minority bleeds out of the hobby again its not going to return to some sort of balance.

The current market isn't reading comics anymore.

Snicker...

Okee Dokee.

Saturday in the shop tpb's & hc's were 60% of our monster day.

Omega Men tpb got such a BJ from the internet this week it caused a stampede as most shops didn't order...

CGC fellows are a cult sect, NOT representative of the average LCS clientele.

Comics are main street America right now.

Civilians are interested, Lapsed fans are returning, & Wednesday Warriors have a ton of choices.

Bull:censored:. Prove it.

Hulk 180 is a Hulk/Wendigo story that has Wolverine in one panel that only exists to promote 181. Hulk 181 is a Wolverine/Hulk/Wendigo story.

Why so confrontational? I was referring to the "first appearance" debate between #180 and #181. Frankly, I don't need to "prove" anything; the books do that themselves. #180 is the first appearance of Wolverine. That shouldn't be up for debate. #181 is his first cover, he is the focus of the story, and did I mention the awesome cover?

First appearance. NOT "first story of xxxx character."

Snicker...

Okee Dokee.

Omega Men tpb got such a BJ from the internet this week it caused a stampede as most shops didn't order...

Civilians are interested, Lapsed fans are returning, & Wednesday Warriors have a ton of choices.

I'll chime in and say that the (huge) segment of the market buying slabs, expensive back issues, and variants do not do so to read them.

That's what trade paperbacks are for.

Snicker...

Okee Dokee.

We will just disagree Larry. Your shop is not the average shop either. I just base this off what I see at shows and locals shops in my area.

Your shop judging from other articles and information you have given us is on the other end of the comic market catering to readers. Which is really what good comic shops should be doing, but its a tough market. Many get into starting a shop for the wrong reasons. I don't think you would disagree with that.

Edited by Fastballspecial

Im a cover collector

Same here.

I'm a cover collector too. I also prefer a hulk 181 over 180.

Im a cover collector

Same here.

Same here, better cover. Print run be damned, if I like the spidey 678, I would own it. When it was 15.00 I thought it was ugly, and still do. To invest in a comic that you don't really like due to scarcity just seems odd to me.

Also, suicide squad 1 turner variants are bringing 60-70 for the set on eBay. These haven't shipped yet, but according to aspen they did not have as large a print run and shouldn't be available at conventions like Harley and AS Batman. I would imagine these will be the cover to have similar to their Batman.

Im a cover collector

Same here.

Same here, better cover. Print run be damned, if I like the spidey 678, I would own it. When it was 15.00 I thought it was ugly, and still do. To invest in a comic that you don't really like due to scarcity just seems odd to me.

If you think that my point was that 181 has a better cover than 180 you missed it. It does, of course, but that isn't what I was arguing. There are thousands of graded 181s and many thousands more that are raw. This doesn't stop the price from rising, because demand is strong. Demand for this book is strong because it has more going for it than a great cover image, and it is that significance that drives demand. On the other hand, a variant with a great cover image is only worth money if n-1 people think it is worth their money, because the content is no different than thousands of other copies. Perceived scarcity is a huge driver in variant demand. That demand is more fickle than content demand, because to an extent variant demand is often (not always, but often) driven by what other people like and want to buy so this collector has to have one too because it is hot.

People pick 181 because they want to own 181, not because the red cover variant with Wolverine is much better than the Hulk covered in the symbiote variant or the Deadpool variant from that same month.

Im a cover collector

Same here.

It only makes sense as a lot of card collectors are back in the fold.

Im a cover collector

Same here.

Yep.

Im a cover collector

Same here.

How lovely. I thought we managed to drive these rodents out in the 90's. Ah well.

Im a cover collector

Same here.

That I don't understand, and I collect Detective comics from GA to Modern, Pre Code Horror, and keys/classic covers. The expensive variant business, eh. To each their own, but I cap at like 100.00 on moderns. All my copper and modern keys are sold to buy PCH.

I have been hitting 3 of the 5 and Below's in south Jersey (Deptford,Blackwood and Turnersville) damn near daily for the past week, I'm working on a small paver walkway + 3 landing step installation job in Turnersville and these 3 spots are all on my way home from my jobsite....

and thus far have snagged a total of 5 copies of UF #4 1:25.

...which is cool, but that represents 6 trips to each shop and actually, it kinda sucks balls as the copies I have found all have color breaking spine ticks.All of them all are 8.0 to 9.0's.

None of the 5 copies I have bought will press out better than a 9.2.....maybe 1 will catch a 9.4.

I'm still going to each shop every day, though :insane::roflmao:

I've been hitting up all of the Philly ones and found zip

I saw a pack that had a Superior Spider-Man Hastings Labbit on the top, first one I've ever seen with a store exclusive variant

Only ever seen the packs at the one in the gallery in center city.

I wouldn't worry too much about what's on the outside of the packs as an indicator of when you'll find a book. I found one with a Secret Avengers 37 variant/Thor 8 and one with Spiderverse 2/Uncanny Avengers 3. Gotta check em all.