• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eerie ashcan?
3 3

133 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, new to the site.

So Oakman29 lets say you had the Eerie Ashcan in hand. What would you do to determine its authenticity as one of the 200 originals ? I mean if you have never held one or seen the fake side by side with a real one, how would you tell ??? Just saying there are too many fakes out there means nothing if you don't know the distinqquishing characteristics of both.

Hi everyone, new to the site.

So Oakman29 lets say you had the Eerie Ashcan in hand. What would you do to determine its authenticity as one of the 200 originals ? I mean if you have never held one or seen the fake side by side with a real one, how would you tell ??? Just saying there are too many fakes out there means nothing if you don't know the distinqquishing characteristics of both.

I don't know at all, that's why I wouldn't plunk down big money for it. Although I have heard that the staples on the original copies had some kind of blue stripe( for a lack of a better word) affixed to the staples.

Or was that the fakes? hm

The fakes had the blue stripe.

Edited by oakman29

I also believe Moondog to be the foremost expert in ashcans, and if he says he has a problem. That's good enough for me. The one you listed is either a fake or second print, my guess a fake.

Edited by oakman29

Sorry, been away up north with no access to Internet. Bet you thought I went to ground. Let's warm this thread up a bit.

It's very easy to dismiss everything as a fake when you've never seen or held any issues in your hands.

I have 63 criteria that must be met to determine a first print from a second print or a fake. Let's see the foremost expert Moondog answer some medium difficulty questions regarding this controversial magazine. After all if you tout him as the foremost expert he should easily be able to wrap off the answers effortlessly. Besides the obvious found on the Internet let's play test the expert. 10% for each correct answer. 70% is a passing grade. Feel free to pool your resources and answer these questions. Time limit is 15 days.

1) What is the weight in grams for the original first print and second prints ?

2) What gauge are the staples on the original Eerie Ashcan and the 2nd printing ?

3) On an original Ashcan, what is the distance from the top left corner of the magazine to the top of the top staple ? +\- 1/8"

4) How many pages on an Original Ashcan actually contain paste up instructions ? ( Hint: Don't believe everything you read on the Internet )

5) Why is a copy that is too white to be instantly considered a fake or a second print ?

6) This is a gimme. Why does the sheen of the ink on ALL second print or reproductions differ from the original ? Even today with half million dollar copiers this can't be reproduced.

7) On page three, the shingle lines on the roof in an original Ashcan are sharp and clear. Why are they not clear in all second printings and fakes ?

8) The bald headed man on page 18 is clearly visible in the second printing because the original artwork was used and the correction was made. Having corrected this error, what new error was produced as a result ? On what page and what was the new error ?

9) What are the differences between a real and a second print / fake on the back cover ?

10) What other difference is there between a first print and a second print / fake regarding print quality / detail ?

Cheers