• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Neal Adams - Should I even bother?
1 1

41 posts in this topic

I think his percentage of 'great interactions' is generally lower than most other creators, but even so most of the time it will be either a neutral or positive interaction, with odds improving if you're a friendly, polite person who is truly a fan. Nothing to be scared of. If you're a Neal fan, its worth it, at least for one or two books that mean something to you.

Edited by Revat

He's charging more than his signature is worth. He should be thrilled to do whatever you want. He won't be, because he's Neal, but you're still the customer. Don't be intimidated.

We ought to stop treating creators like gods, especially when we're paying their asking prices for a service rendered. At that point, they're working for us.

Tall request, sure, but still worth mentioning.

Had a stack of books to be signed by Neal Adams back in June in Dallas. His wife was more than happy to take my 30 bucks per book for cgc ss. I had painstakingly spent the time to properly window bag my books as I have had some painful costly lessons in the past with other artists. I had done my research and found where he liked to sign for each book and put windows in the appropriate area. No problems in the beginning until he came across a justice league book that I had apparently not put the window in the right area. I didn't find any that he had previously signed. He took it out of the bag and said "I don't understand why people put these comics like this" He laid it on his artists board and moved the book upwards to sign in a specific area on the bottom of the book. Unfortunately, while he signed the bottom, the rest of the book was unsupported and no longer on the board and sure enough, spine color breaks on a previously 9.6 or 9.8 book. I didn't interpret him as being gruff, impolite or rude, but he definitely likes to do things his way and only his way. If you want to window bag, make sure the window is where he likes to sign, because that is the only place that he will sign.

You should have explained to him that people "put these comics like this" because they don't want them damaged.

Creators aren't going to understand this until consumers are willing to speak up.

Does anyone think an editor just puts up with it when a page doesn't look the way they want it..? Not hardly. They tell Neal "this doesn't work, I'm paying you, please do it over."

You also should have asked for your money back for that book, but I know that's a very tall order for most.

I had a poster signed by him at SDCC this year - I'd say it was a neutral encounter.

I purchased the poster print from his booth (which I later also had Alex Sinclair sign and Alex appeared disappointed that Neal had turned a somewhat low quality scan of their work into a print - Alex sells 1 of 1 OA size color prints as his "original" work since his colors are digital. He wasn't upset, but I could tell for all the pride he puts into the colors, this made him a little sad - he sorta looked it over and said, "man, you can see he just threw a book on the scanner..." I am a big Sinc' fan so that made me a little sad too). Anyway, Neal was happy to sign it. I asked what he had been up to lately and he looked at me like I was a crazy person - "Well, mostly Superman - is the book I've been working on." I replied that yes I'd been following the book and I had meant what was he keeping busy with during the con. Again, he looked at me like I was dumb, and replied that he usually sketches during cons. My open ended way of engaging to see if he'd been doing/drawing anything particular or interesting so far during the weekend obviously fell flat so I moved on.

I commented to him that I really enjoyed the specific piece of which I was buying the poster print. He replied that I should buy a sketch from him and I could have an original of my very own. I responded that I'd love that but would have to save for a bit. He responded that "yes well, even wealthy people have to save." It was a sort of abrupt gruff reply that wasn't rude, but also wasn't inviting or a "yeah I get it - cons can be expensive" type response.

It wasn't a bad interaction, but pretty much every other creator I spoke with was much warmer and easier to talk with. I consider myself fairly articulate and easy going and just sort of "missed" conversationally with him despite my efforts to be warm and interested in his work/weekend.

For whatever that's all worth - one more data point you can use to prep. His booth was empty when I came by for all of this. As long as you have good expectations, I think you'll be just fine

Edited by Thawk

Had a stack of books to be signed by Neal Adams back in June in Dallas. His wife was more than happy to take my 30 bucks per book for cgc ss. I had painstakingly spent the time to properly window bag my books as I have had some painful costly lessons in the past with other artists. I had done my research and found where he liked to sign for each book and put windows in the appropriate area. No problems in the beginning until he came across a justice league book that I had apparently not put the window in the right area. I didn't find any that he had previously signed. He took it out of the bag and said "I don't understand why people put these comics like this" He laid it on his artists board and moved the book upwards to sign in a specific area on the bottom of the book. Unfortunately, while he signed the bottom, the rest of the book was unsupported and no longer on the board and sure enough, spine color breaks on a previously 9.6 or 9.8 book. I didn't interpret him as being gruff, impolite or rude, but he definitely likes to do things his way and only his way. If you want to window bag, make sure the window is where he likes to sign, because that is the only place that he will sign.

Had a similar issue when I asked that he sign in a specific color to match another signature on the book and we went back and forth until I finally gave up and let him sign it the way he wanted. I like Neal and have gladly paid the $30 he's asked for each and every book he's signed. Just know that he's human and if he's having a bad day he can be short and seem rude or aloof but for the most part he seems to enjoy signing for fans.

I've had nothing but super pleasant encounters with Neal and his wife Marilyn. I would say they are two of the nicest people I have ever met. Love to talk, especially Neal. His wife does protect his business, but I think that's a good thing. I've actually had him not charge me at all for his signatures. He is a very nice person if you take the time to get to know him. Very down to earth.

I've had nothing but super pleasant encounters with Neal and his wife Marilyn. I would say they are two of the nicest people I have ever met. Love to talk, especially Neal. His wife does protect his business, but I think that's a good thing. I've actually had him not charge me at all for his signatures. He is a very nice person if you take the time to get to know him. Very down to earth.

I've also had nothing but enjoyable experiences with them as well. Unfortunately some people are more sensitive than others or their expectations are unrealistic. 2c

I met Neal Adams a long time ago, I was like 12 years old,  I was mostly at this convention for Mark Waid, I saw him and Adams talking, Adams was trying to get Waid to start charging for autographs instead of doing them for free, he was like "You can make at least $40 off these guys, everyone just has twenties, Hey kid!! what dollar bill do you have in your pocket right now!", Me not wanting to admit I had twenties told him "I have $10." and he said "Aww F**K you!." 

then he realized that I was a kid and came over to me and punched me on the shoulder "I'm joking, I'm joking!!" I smiled, He kinda reminded me of my dad in a way, Says what he means, talked to me like I was an adult, then realizes oh wait! he's a kid, whoops!!. Over all he's a nice guy, just a bit greedy, nothing wrong with that when Cons are you're main source of income. 

My son and I just returned from C2E2 in Chicago and had the chance to get an "original" sketch from Mr. Adams and couldn't of been happier with our experience.   Took right around 2 hours and he even agreed to let us take pic's with him which I wasn't sure he'd be agreeable to. Great guy and great experience as he is definitely one of the living legends.

C158C100-4315-4821-BB3E-6B3D59FD57AF.PNG

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 8:15 PM, Kenny37 said:

Adams was trying to get Waid to start charging for autographs instead of doing them for free,

This has been a common theme with him over the last 5 years that I've seen him at shows.  He can often be heard discussing pricing on the show floor with creators who aren't charging or what he perceives to be undercharging for Signatures or art.  He's definitely got an agenda he's pushing in regards to raising artist's convention prices.  Some scoff as soon as he walks away, but clearly a few heed his recommendations and if you've seen the prices artists are asking at shows, they have certainly risen significantly over the last 5-10 years. 

That said, I'd echo the same sentiment that my interactions weren't bad with him, they just weren't overly warm either.  He won't go out of his way to make your day like some creators will do, but he won't be terribly rude either.  Provided you're paying his fees, he'll be perfectly cordial.

There is a story I read here on the boards a few years ago of a fan who commissioned a 4-figure commission from Neal to be picked up at the show.  The fan was delighted to see the commission in-person and asked Neal for a picture of the two of them together holding up the art.  He said "Sure! Twenty bucks*."  lol He was dead serious.

*I can't remember if $20 was the exact price, but Neal did/does(?) charge for photos at shows and it seemed crazy to me to charge for a photo for a fan who just spent four figures with you. 

I've had several off-the-cuff conversations with Neal during setup and breakdowns of conventions (i.e. when it's just a handful of people on the floor instead of the crush of fans) and he is unabashedly, no bones about it, no apologies necessary, attending any convention strictly to make as much money as possible.

One quote he said to me while we were waiting for the convention doors to open in the morning: "Hey, you smell that? [deep breath]. Smells like money." [big smile]

lol

I got all of my Adams signatures long before he started charging for them. But I have gotten several for other people as a Witness.  One time, as I was paying his wife for the signatures (10 or 15 so $200-300 for six minutes of signing), he told me - "you need to buy some stuff off the table."  I responded with something nonchalant like "No, I am good."  He proceeded to glare at me after every $20 signature. It was like he was trying to wear me down or shame me into buying more. He love dat scrilla . . .

When he was at LFCC he was only talking to his buddy , not as much as a thank you.

"i would characterize adams to be more pompous than rude"

No , that would describe Bruce Lee (pompous but not rude.....well except to Raymond but that a-hole prolly killed him so......)

Edited by postersandstuff

On 8/15/2016 at 3:18 PM, HyperGeeky said:

He was otherwise courteous and nice, but the CGC witness said, "He's having an off-day." Found out Mr. Adams had been feeling a bit sick, and it made him a bit grumpy.

Everyone has bad days. 

It's amazing how some people expect celebrities to be perfect people 24/7. You never know what ANYONE is dealing with at any given moment. 

When I was around 8, I went to a Star Trek convention. James Doohan was there. We waited in line forever, and the line was cut off about 5 heads in front of where we'd been waiting. 

We went to Wendy's for lunch. Who walks in? James Doohan. 

The adults that were with me advised me to approach him as he waited in line. They shouldn't have. They should have taught me manners and respect. 

So, when I went to ask for his autograph and explained my disappointment in missing him at the show, he impatiently, and rather rudely, told me to wait in line the next day like everyone else. 

For years and years, I thought "Scotty" was the biggest dill hole on the planet. 

Then I realized he was just a human being like the rest of us.