• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

This is what is great about the boards. I've been having a little family health problems the past few months and a little on edge. Trying to act normal in an abnormal situation. Anyway, I had mentioned it in passing to a boardie. Came home one night to a strange package I wasn't expecting. When I looked at the address, I knew it was some thing special. He sent it to me to cheer me up and it was sure appreciated.

This is a rare giveaway comic in its self but what makes it even more cool is what is inside the back cover. This awsome Little Orphan Annie Punjab decoder. The kid was supposed to cut it out and mount it on still paper. This boardie was even so kind as to make me a color copy to put together myself so I didn't ruin the comic. Now this is one RARE decoder guys. The 'ole Robot Man had never even heard of.

Many thanks, and hats off to The Yellow Kid for being such a cool friend and boardie!

punjabdecoder_zps4nmykxwh.jpg

This is what is great about the boards. I've been having a little family health problems the past few months and a little on edge. Trying to act normal in an abnormal situation. Anyway, I had mentioned it in passing to a boardie. Came home one night to a strange package I wasn't expecting. When I looked at the address, I knew it was some thing special. He sent it to me to cheer me up and it was sure appreciated.

This is a rare giveaway comic in its self but what makes it even more cool is what is inside the back cover. This awsome Little Orphan Annie Punjab decoder. The kid was supposed to cut it out and mount it on still paper. This boardie was even so kind as to make me a color copy to put together myself so I didn't ruin the comic. Now this is one RARE decoder guys. The 'ole Robot Man had never even heard of.

Many thanks, and hats off to The Yellow Kid for being such a cool friend and boardie!

punjabdecoder_zps4nmykxwh.jpg

i concur! Yellow Kid is a class act and Super Boardie. Love those unexpected packages. Marquee acquisition RM!

Had a fun time on Saturday. I went to the Long Beach Comic Con. This con has been slowly growing from it's inception about 5 years ago. It seemed a lot bigger this year. Thought you guys and gals might like a little report with some pictures.

So, from beautiful downtown Long Beach, CA...

LBCC2016a_zpsing39n4g.jpg

I don't go for the overpriced autographs or sketches. I go to buy old comics! I made a bee line to boardie robocard's booth (Ed Robertson). He had PM'd me telling me he was blowing out a new collection of GA at half price. He did not disapoint. I bought a very large pile of cool and inreresting books real cheap. At his prices I was really on impulse buy mode. A lot of books you won't buy at regular price you jump on at half. I was told that Terry and Harley cleaned him out on set up day but they missed a lot plus he kept a few "under the table" for me. A great guy to deal with. Most of what I got this year came from him.

LBCC2016q_zpsxmzkq7sw.jpg

My next stop was with Terry O'Neil. One of a the coolest dealers on the circuit. I love to hit his boxes. Most people check the walls then wander away. I find that the only way I can find that hidden gem is to hit the boxes. Got a nice early National as well as a couple cool Ace Super Mysterys from him as well as a few other bargain cool books. If those Super Mysterys and the National were on his wall, they would have been gone right away. I told him he would be a board star and he encouraged me to shoot a wall shot so maybe you poor guys who couldn't make it might find something that they might want. (now that I look again, I see a book I want that I overlooked...)Thanks for the pass Terry!

LBCC2016h_zpsdjos3vke.jpg

I then made a bee line over to Russ Heath. This con is cool as it has artist's alley in the center of the room and exhibitors around it. Russ is a living legend at 89 years old. Still sharp as a tack and still working. You think of the career this guys has had and it blows your mind. I had him sign my War #11, a cool Spellbound (with the hands coming out of the grave) (Russ's wife for those who care) and a Showcase Sea Devil. He didn't charge me a nickle either! A real gentleman. I made his day because I know he likes his hooch so a brought him a bottle of wine. Was great to see his face light up.

LBCC2016g_zpsjz5jsnwr.jpg

A bumped into my pals Jamie Graham and Big Ron Murray almost by mistake. They got stuck way over in the back on the side with the sword vendors. They wern't having a good show. The wall was a lot of usual SA, BA and average GA titles but you gotta look into the boxes kids... I plucked out the classic Dotty #36 and a real nice Scream #16 with the "origin" of Lilly Belle as well as a couple obscure Crime books. All priced just under guide and Jamie cut me an even better price on. He had 4 full magazine boxes of real nice GA books that walked into the show on a cart. The books I bought came from that collection but there were a lot of "heavy" GA in there. He had two copies of the same early TEC both with double covers!

LBCC2016f_zpsdnoed5ny.jpg