• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,039 posts in this topic

That is awesome and crazy. I am surprised to hear there even was a first issue. It's almost like that title has been around an eternity.

I know. You kind of think of it as the book Tarzan appeared in in 1912, and before that was just fog.

A couple of digest finds in the mail today:

Astounding_50_07_zpsg1pziadk.jpg

The last Heinlein issue of Astounding I still needed. Now if I can just track down an April 1941 issue of UNKNOWN, I'll have all of Heinlein's work for Campbell.

Astounding_50_05_zpsl7nw0lrn.jpg

Rarely have I been so happy to get a book I don't care about. There's nothing in this issue I particularly want to read; I just want it as part of my goal of "put together the entire Campbell-edited run of Astounding/ Analog". But, since this is the book that introduced the world to Dianetics, it's one of the trickier digest issues to track down an affordable copy of.

The July has CM Kornbluth's 'The Little Black Bag', a classic filmed several times including Twilight Zone...one of the greatest SF stories.

I did specify it was the May issue that didn't have anything high on my list. I was looking forward to at least a couple items in the July one... including "The Little Black Bag", which I haven't read before.

Shadow pulp from Argentina. I think the US version was from 1933, this one is from 1940.

039.jpg

Well that's super cool! Yep, the US version is from January 15 1933, the 22nd issue (out of 325).

tHhup8Kh.jpg

image_zps6y0in6lw.jpeg

Awesome. At first I thought that was the original, but I don't see the signature. Is it a recreation? By who?

Shadow pulp from Argentina. I think the US version was from 1933, this one is from 1940.

039.jpg

Well that's super cool! Yep, the US version is from January 15 1933, the 22nd issue (out of 325).

tHhup8Kh.jpg

image_zps6y0in6lw.jpeg

Awesome. At first I thought that was the original, but I don't see the signature. Is it a recreation? By who?

Sorry about that! Artist is Guernsey. Bought it about a decade ago off EBay.

Yup. Search can be your friend.

Here's DF's post from a year ago -

Haven't seen this thread in a few years. The Creeping Death painting is still hanging on my wall with another Rozen Painting and some original advertising signs. In addition to the paintings, I have 18 original Shadow advertising signs from the 1930's and 40's.

BTW: The Shadow Creeping Death is the only issue in the entire Shadow run that sold out completely at the newsstands.

image7_zps9exi85zk.jpg

Here is the other Rozen. The Third Skull from 1935. This original was sent to a WW2 Air Force base where the image was used on one of the bombers. It re-emerged again in an early 1970's pulpcon that Walter Gibson was at and he was thrilled to see it again.

imagejpg1_zpse27433da.jpg

Also pictured is a large 1940 Shadow radio sign promoted by Blue Coal. The only known example in existence!

imagejpg1_zpsdaa36d0d.jpg

Another original advertising sign from 1937, that was used by Blue Coal to promote the 1937-38 season of The Shadow Radio Show. It is 18" x 24" on silkscreen, and is the only known example! The sign was used on the back cover of Martin Gram's book about the history of the Shadow on the Radio.

imagejpg1_zps80ca4b4c.jpg

Dwight

when I started collecting the 'mushroom jungle' early-'50s UK PBs a couple of years ago 'Cataclysm' was the first John Russell Fearn novel that I read. Pretty darn good, so I tried a second, 'Renegade Star', even better (with great Ron Turner cov), and the third one of his I read, 'Across the Ages' is a terrific time-travel yarn that's one of the great SF books...

img7760.jpg

img7750.jpg

Picked these up in Chicago from a new collection that came in the shop the paper is really nice!..just thought they were pretty cool! IMG_20160828_223530128_zpsgezs2ndv.jpg. IMG_20160828_223733376_zps76cixvj6.jpg

Awesome. They are very cool. I love Frank Paul covers, I only have a few I wish I had more.