• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Harry's Marvellous Meanderings through the Comic Book World
1 1

347 posts in this topic

Oh no, I can’t agree on the vote on the Diablo story. There might be some things overlooked and some defects, but that is definitely a great story among the early issues. :)

Maybe you’ve started judging them in an excessively analytical way…

Now I’d like to know to which issues you’d give at least a 4/5. ;)

Oh no, I can’t agree on the vote on the Diablo story. There might be some things overlooked and some defects, but that is definitely a great story among the early issues. :)

Maybe you’ve started judging them in an excessively analytical way…

I do tend to be analytical so I'm probably guilty of that but I'm giving my honest opinion here. I just didn't think it was anything special. However I like the fact that you disagree, it would be a very boring place if we all thought the same.

Now I’d like to know to which issues you’d give at least a 4/5. ;)

Now that would be a spoiler. But the scores will improve, I promise you.

Journey Into Mystery #108 September 1964

My Copy - Grade 5.0

jim108.jpg.c01d66fc1807122c583365cd512d7677.jpg

Cover: 3/5 ~ From the yellow background & sun like Foster, to the mighty swing and the tumbling Loki, everything about this cover is simple but works well.

Art: 3/5 ~ Again, everything works well and there's plenty of variety in this issue. Asgard, the mean streets of NYC, hospitals, wharfs, woods, Dr Strange's bachelor pad, quick glimpses of some of the Avengers. Even the Empire State gets a panel.

Story: 3/5 ~ To continue a theme; it's simple but it works well. The pacing is spot on, there's variety, there's x-overs, Blake is having to fend for himself at one point, there's a kidnapped nurse, an enraged omnipotent father. The story is never dull however it is lacking action and wrapped up quite quickly. I think it could easily have been a two-parter and not been the worse for it.

Quote of the Day ~ "When I return, Thor shall answer to me!! Even though he be my favored son--only one may be Lord of Asgard, and that one is--and ever shall be--Odin!!"

My assessment ~ Although only average this was so much better than nearly all of the previous JIM's I've read it felt like an epic!! It shows how low my expectations for this book have fallen. A keeper? Maybe....maybe not.

:news:SOLD!

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Harry Lime

Fantastic Four #31 October 1964

My Copy - Grade 4.5

ff31.jpg.172e330bd9fa8b5159a5537fee74641a.jpg

Cover: 3/5 ~ Even if the depiction of the depths would have been virtually impossible to do, this is intriguing enough to draw us in.

Art: 4/5 ~ Kirby back to form here. Some great quake action, followed by whole city blocks in a hole. Mole Man's machinery and his underworld with some great special effects really top this issue.

Story: 3.5/5 ~ A more enjoyable tale than of late. Only losing marks for Sue's patented kidnapping of the month ™. Gaining points for the brief tussle with the Avengers, the FF going all out to seek and execute an alternative plan to save Sue. Even the apparent weakness of not finding the Mole Man at the end is turned into a strength because of the desperate rush to a hospital because of Sue's head wound. And her father turning up to save her but in doing so losing his chance at freedom was well played. The FF's reaction (especially Ben's) to Sue's recovery from a potentially life ending accident was a joy to behold.

Quote of the Day ~ "There it is! Holy Cow!! He's got enough control levers in there to qualify for 'Mad Scientist of the Year!' "

My assessment ~ One of my earlier ebay purchases, got it amazingly cheap (probably because it's a pence copy) but it's good enough for me.

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Harry Lime

Apologies for the delay, I was awaiting, to preserve the chronological order, a small parcel of goodness from across the pond which contained (amongst others) my next entry. I suppose if I acquire any other books that are earlier than the ones already posted I will have to use Doom's time machine, a worrying prospect at best. :ohnoez:

My earliest ASM. :cloud9:

Amazing Spider-Man #17 October 1964

My Copy - Grade 5.5

asm17.jpg.f52a5f6b4504222c59261d2993cfed11.jpg

Cover: 3/5 ~ Nothing spectacular but it's enough to draw us in with the swinging and the sparking and the flaming. Nice depiction of the crowd as well, some scared, some enjoying the action. What could be happening?

Art: 4/5 ~ I love Ditko's work on ASM and he doesn't disappoint here. So much movement and detail is packed into the panels your eyes are continually entertained and absorbed. The fight sequences are superb and he packs emotion into every character's depiction.

Story: 4.5/5 ~ This issue probably encapsulates all that is great about early Spidey. His fallibility, girlfriend troubles, J Jonah, Flash, sick Aunt May, his self-doubt, his bad luck. It's all there and it's done to perfection. It's even got great action with the returning Green Goblin and the Torch messing things up. This was so close to a five and to be honest I can't give a rational reason why it didn't get it other than I'm reserving that for the crème de la crème!

Quote of the Day ~ "Why don't things ever turn out right for me? Why do I seem to hurt people, no matter how I try not to? Is this the price I must always pay for being...Spider-Man??!"

My assessment ~ A recent purchase from a fellow boardie, this is why I love buying from here, great books at a great price. I can't really afford a higher grade example and I'm perfectly happy with this copy so it's a keeper for good.

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Harry Lime

Harry, I am an unabashed Ditko fan from the get go. I've chased his work all over the place, but let's face it Spider-Man is where it "happens".

If you ever get the chance to see some original Ditko Spidey pages, not scans, but up close and in person you will be blown away.

Not a false line. Not a white out, Not a paste up. Just as if he inked the damned things without penciling them.

Just remarkable.

As I was not alive in the '60s, it appears the early '60s had a cool vibe with the first few James Bond films and JFK's Camelot. And I cannot put my finger on it, but I feel the early Fantastic Four cover have this cool vibe. Maybe it's the font of the logo, or Kirby's art.

It’s not a typeface ('font' has become a common term, but it’s inaccurate, as it addresses a specific weight or variation of a type family) – rather it’s skillful handlettering, and it’s due to Sol Brodsky (most of the early Marvel logos were his work), which was part of the original "Marvel bullpen", as Stan would have later put it. :)

I'm just now seeing this. Thanks for the drop of knowledge! (thumbs u

As I was not alive in the '60s, it appears the early '60s had a cool vibe with the first few James Bond films and JFK's Camelot. And I cannot put my finger on it, but I feel the early Fantastic Four cover have this cool vibe. Maybe it's the font of the logo, or Kirby's art.

It’s not a typeface ('font' has become a common term, but it’s inaccurate, as it addresses a specific weight or variation of a type family) – rather it’s skillful handlettering, and it’s due to Sol Brodsky (most of the early Marvel logos were his work), which was part of the original "Marvel bullpen", as Stan would have later put it. :)

You’re welcome. Actually I believe that Sol Brodsky here was able to convey the "sense of wonder" which belongs to early american science fiction and the like. The 1960s aesthetics is more "industrial", and the FF and early Marvel covers had that "magic" that was generally lost in the following decade. :cloud9:

You’re welcome. Actually I believe that Sol Brodsky here was able to convey the "sense of wonder" which belongs to early american science fiction and the like. The 1960s aesthetics is more "industrial", and the FF and early Marvel covers had that "magic" that was generally lost in the following decade. :cloud9:

Yes, thanks for that bit of information too. It certainly got me thinking.

And I really like the format of your journal, Harry. The brief synopsis of these books gives me some additional insight to them... and I've even started to look closer at the pence copies.

Your signature is pretty funny!

Harry, I am an unabashed Ditko fan from the get go. I've chased his work all over the place, but let's face it Spider-Man is where it "happens".

If you ever get the chance to see some original Ditko Spidey pages, not scans, but up close and in person you will be blown away.

Not a false line. Not a white out, Not a paste up. Just as if he inked the damned things without penciling them.

Just remarkable.

Spider-Man & Ditko are a marriage made in heaven. I would love to see some OA of his, maybe one day.

Yep, the logo introduced in #119 was so ugly, what were they thinking? I haven't read many of that time span yet but I can imagine they had more than a few letters of complaint.

And I really like the format of your journal, Harry. The brief synopsis of these books gives me some additional insight to them... and I've even started to look closer at the pence copies.

Thank you for the kind words but I wouldn't read too much into my synopsis. It's only my personal opinion and I'm aiming to be entertaining without huge walls of text so stuff is going to be left out, glossed over or just frankly wrong.

Pence copies are cheap and the page quality is generally quite good but collecting started later here than in the US so finding high-grade examples is very rare.

Edited by Harry Lime

Amazing Spider-Man #18 November 1964

My Copy - Grade 3.0 Apparent Has a weird issue with an extra set of bottom staple 'holes', might even be production related as it doesn't look like an amateur job. Doesn't bother me anyway, just glad to have the book.

ASM18.thumb.jpg.a7704ed6f66bc0e6b230479651cf730b.jpg

Cover: 5/5 ~ I love this cover! This and #3 are my favourite early Spidey covers. It wasn't at all popular in the recent poll but I can't help but admire the uniqueness of the subject matter, the wonderful perspective and the detail involved. Great stuff, Steve!

Art: 4/5 ~ Same as #17 really but considering there's less action in this issue it's amazing how interesting each page/panel is under Ditko's hand. And the sight of a muscle-bound Flash in his ill-fitting Spidey costume highlights the real 'McCoy' (not a Star Trek reference :nyah: ).

Story: 4.5/5 ~ An almost unthinkable concept. A superhero book where the protagonist doesn't land a punch, doesn't 'catch' any criminals (unless that be through a tip-off) and instead actively avoids danger and confrontation. It works brilliantly! We really feel Peter's anxiety for his sickly Aunt. We feel sorry for Spidey at the world's ignorant cruelty. We hope that the Torch will find out the truth and help out. We feel relieved when Flash's stubborn bravery lands him with no more than a black eye and we hate the grinning hyena face of J. Jonah. I only wish the 'fight' with the Sandman had gone on longer but it's a petty complaint.

Quote of the Day ~ "First time I ever saw him smile! It's a sickening sight!"

My assessment ~ Another wonderful issue. I've certainly struck gold with my earliest ASMs. Of course an upgrade would be great but whose got the money? Not me. :nyah:

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Harry Lime

You sir, are surely a gentleman with that Frank Hampson avatar. ;)

Harry, have a look at how nice the italian logo became from some point onward: :)

(From the very first FF issue I have read, and it was "love at first sight"). :cloud9:

GUt4n8dl.jpg

Edited by vaillant

Yes, there is no synchronicity because since the beginning the books (which were 48 pages) had backup features related to the FFs: Strange Tales, Dr. Doom, Sub-Mariner, etc. and when they ran out of FF material they just used the Marvel Two-In-One stories as FF stories.

The graphic design was averagely pretty good. When they started, since they started in 1971, they used the "fatter" FF logo and redesigned it as a Fantastici Quattro logo, starting from #1, so the original logo, properly speaking, has never been used here:

QHD6vkBl.jpg

When they reprinted the classic stories, they launched a new title "Fantastici Quattro Gigante", magazine size, which reprinted chronologically all the FF and Strange Tales stories of the Torch and the Thing. The colors of this multi lettered large logo were sometimes pretty "psychedelic". This is my favorite italian edition, and the one I have in full (but it stops at FF#84):

RFkGJhVl.jpg

Fantastic Four #32 November 1964

My Copy - Grade 3.5 Qualified Missing an ad page. :(

ff32.jpg.3cd65a2fd4b14a870a7bd3494bb44374.jpg

Cover: 3/5 ~ Not quite sure what's going on with the cover with 3 of the foursome fainting & Ben angrily supplicating? Still it's certainly intriguing.

Art: 4/5 ~ Some great scenes in this. The splash page, the space photomontages, a good variety of locations. Kirby gearing it up...

Story: 4/5 ~ This issue starts and ends really well, it's just the bit in the middle with the 'Invincible Man' that lets it down. Even if I didn't know it was the Super Skrull initially (having never read #18) by the time I saw him use 2 of the FF's powers I twigged it was him (unlike the FF) and the fight sequence is robbed of any real significance because of the FF's belief it was Mr Storm senior. However the crowd reaction to their defeat was enjoyable. The shock ending where the real Mr Storm sacrifices himself was written with some emotion and the sense of grief was palpable if for the most part unspoken. Also Ben with a hanky has to be an added extra.

Quote of the Day ~ "Captain, that is the late Dr. Franklin Storm...One of the finest, bravest men I've ever had the honor of knowing!"

My assessment ~ A while back I told the tale of my FF #27 and how I wanted the one in the LCBS and how it was gone when I went back. This one was there though and so partly through disappointment & ignorance I bought it. Probably the most I've overpaid on a book considering it's grade and cost. I'm lucky it only cost £30 in a way but even though it's incomplete I'm going to keep this as a reminder to never buy a book through frustration or without doing the research on it's value beforehand again.

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Harry Lime

Wow three books in the same month, my collection is becoming extensive! :nyah:

Journey Into Mystery #110 November 1964

My Copy - Grade 6.5

jim110.jpg.e34a8b5e527ee3d0c828d451357c265d.jpg

Cover: 2/5 ~ Thor, Foster, Hyde, Cobra. Yep, got it. Sums up the story without putting any real effort into it. Could have been much better if the fight with Heimdall had graced the cover.

Art: 3/5 ~ All the Asgardian parts are great, the rest is average.

Story: 3/5 ~ Not a bad tale. Perhaps Lee & Kirby are getting a handle on the character at last? Loki on Earth & the Asgardian bits (again) are the best parts. Jane Foster stands in for Sue Storm as the kidnapnee of the month (Sue was getting her hair done). But to be fair at least Jane doesn't have superpowers (yes, I'm looking at you, Sue) and Thor has to stop time itself to save her from dying. Will she survive? I don't know but I have the next issue so I will find out. :whatev:

Quote of the Day ~ "This time there is no forgiveness in my heart! This time I order you banished from Asgard!"

My assessment ~ Hmmm. That's two JIM's in a row that haven't been awful. Do I keep them or not? Still undecided. Probably the most logical option is to sell/keep on a case by case basis but I'm by nature a completist and it rubs to do that. It's all or nothing. Perhaps I'll wait and see what the next few are like. The infamous #114 might yet hold the key to the Mystery of Asgard.

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Harry Lime

And so we come to the dark, dank month of December 1964, in the sprawling metropolis of Olde England town.

lonhengebandwsmall_zpstk0mksew.jpg

A place where the automobile had only just been invented

old20road_zpstd0v6ycn.jpg

and Richard Van Dyke's cockney accent had not yet defiled all social norms.

9896cc3b8ddc0e1f5ca79ad8fec5552b_zpsuj2zjnxu.jpg

Into this grim world came a mewling infant who would one day adopt the name of The Third Man and the image of an Infant Terrible but of far more importance was the publication date of my next three books. Birthday books one an' all!

Amazing Spider-Man #19 December 1964

My Copy - Grade 5.0 Bought raw recently from the boards. It was once in a slab by another grading company. I see no cause to disagree with them.

asm19.jpg.e1fda91bfa08bca1a60074361f66a7eb.jpg

Cover: 3/5 ~ Classic Spidey in action shot but doesn't have a lot else going on.

Art: 4/5 ~ Ditko just keeps putting it out there. Such great action drawing, special little panels which delight the eye and tell so much. Special mention to the J. Jonah triptych on page 3. Wonderful stuff.

Story: 3.5/5 ~ Unlike some books *cough* JIM #95 *cough* the blurb does not lie. Spidey strikes back hard and with some joy. This issue marks the end of the 'Spidey is a Cowardy Custard' trilogy with all the action that was missing from #18 and then some! Our hero spends nearly all issue long laying waste to hoodlums and the Enforcers. He even finds time to wind J Jonah up, always a happy occurrence. He never really gets to grips with the Sandman though and Sandy McSanderson's unusual occupation as gang leader and subsequent 'too tired to fight a couple of cops routine' doesn't work at all well. Sill all in all another highly enjoyable early Spidey.

Quote of the Day ~ "If anyone asks what happened to you guys, be sure to spell my name right! There's a hyphen in it, remember!"

My assessment ~ It's my birthday and I'll keep it if I want to!

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Harry Lime

Fun post Harry!

I'm not sure if you have seen this site before but it provides a virtual (US) newsstand that will show you what was on sale at any given time.

I'll be using it myself for a future post...

http://www.dcindexes.com/features/newsstand.php

Hey, thanks man!

I hadn't seen that site, it's certainly very useful but British copies probably took at least a month maybe two to get here. So I could be looking at FF 37 or 38 as being on sale in England, December '64, that is if you could find them. :(