• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suicide Squad movie coming
2 2

3,562 posts in this topic

I don't mean this as an insult (rather just my excitement for the WW movie), but one of my favorite things about Suicide Squad was seeing the extended WW preview on the big screen :)

Ditto!!

There were SO MANY trailers it got confusing, but WW was electric...I hope the over arching war theme doesn't hold this flick back.

AND, I thoroughly enjoyed SS. (thumbs u

I wonder what the international marketing contingency plan for "Shazam" will be?

Maybe The Rock should just do "The Fall Guy" reboot instead.

Anybody catch "The Fall Guy" binge on Decades this weekend?

"This is the story of one of America's great unsung heroes..."

Lee Majors said in a recent interview he was "getting close to a knee replacement" due to all the stunt work he'd done in the past. You just know what that surgeon's going to say right before the operation starts...

lol

I think you are right. Incredible that by Day 22 this will be so far ahead with a film that was shredded by the critics, and received such mixed reactions from moviegoers.

I wonder if this means if Harley, Deadshot and Joker have a near-term future now.

lol

If it worked for Marvel why is it bad for DC to follow the same suit leading up to JLA? (shrug)

I guess the other approach could be to do different stuff with mother boxes, which might be a cooler way to go.

At least it isn't a weak attempt at Nazis/Hydra using a "staff" to try to get rid of the concept of "mutants" by changing mutant characters to non-mutants due to a squabble over movie property rights. That one is the only one I really disliked.

BOXOFFICEPRO Weekend Forecast: ‘Don’t Breathe,’ ‘Mechanic: Resurrection’ & ‘Hands Of Stone’

On this the last weekend of August, for the third week in a row, we have three new wide releases vying for attention. Don’t Breathe for Sony / Screen Gems possesses the best shot at preventing Suicide Squad from becoming the first film since Star Wars: The Force Awakens to lead the box office for four consecutive weeks. Also opening in a modest ~2,200 and 810 theaters will be the Jason Statham-led sequel Mechanic: Resurrection from Lionsgate/Summit and the boxing biopic Hands Of Stone from Weinstein Company.

Though Suicide Squad has tumbled each week in terms of percentage drops it has still maintained a stranglehold on the box office as the end of summer slow-down takes effect. It has already surpassed the multiplier (total box office divided by opening weekend box office) that Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice managed back in March, so despite the lackluster reviews Warner Bros. must be pleased with how well it has stood up.

#1 Don’t Breathe: $20,000,000

#2 Suicide Squad: $10,700,000 ($281,970,000)

#3 Kubo and the Two Strings: $8,200,000 ($25,560,000)

#4 War Dogs: $8,080,000 ($28,910,000)

#5 Sausage Party: $7,740,000 ($80,430,000)

FORBES.COM: 'Suicide Squad' Is Now Leggier Than 'Batman V Superman'

But here’s the rub: there is a good chance that Suicide Squad will be almost as leggy as Captain America: Civil War, which earned $407.7 million from a $179m debut. That 2.275x multiplier for Civil War is noteworthy in that it was the least leggy MCU movie thus far. Okay, sure, Suicide Squad owes its legs partially to a smaller opening weekend and the advantage of summer weekdays where kids are out of school, but we do have a situation where the critically acclaimed comic book sequel isn’t doing much better in terms of legs than the critically trashed ones.

There is a case to be made that a better reviewed/better received Suicide Squad would have had a leggier run. I’ve made the same argument for Batman v Superman and Man of Steel during their respective releases. And Warner Bros./Time Warner Inc. clearly wasn’t happy with the legs for either prior release because they changed their plans for the respective next film in response to the prior “disappointment.” But the allegedly “better” Captain America: Civil War, larger numbers notwithstanding, was no leggier than Suicide Squad or Man of Steel.

Maybe Chris Nolan’s Batman trilogy (and the likes of Iron Man) was the exception when it comes to comic book franchises. Will a theoretically superior Wonder Woman play leggier (give or take the size of its opening weekend) than the likes of Man of Steel or Suicide Squad? Will a potentially solid Justice League benefit from the November release and Thanksgiving weekend post-debut bump? Or is the DC Films going to whatever the DC Films offering is going to do for the foreseeable future?

Yeah - read this yesterday and it validates my worst fears.

If it becomes the norm that "the critically acclaimed comic book sequel isn’t doing much better in terms of legs than the critically trashed ones," than the studios have zero incentive to make quality films.

:sorry:

The core fanbase will show up regardless in the first week and push the films to success, so the studios will continue pushing out .

And we as comic book fans should demand better. It's not enough to just see our favorite characters on the big screen -- something unthinkable outside of only the most popular superheroes even just 10 years ago -- we should demand quality storylines and products.

Contrast the care with which Spiderman 2, The Dark Knight and even Blade 2 were put together, vs. the likes of BvS and SS -- sure, those were all sequels rather than initial offerings but to me the differences in quality were palpable.

If it becomes the norm that "the critically acclaimed comic book sequel isn’t doing much better in terms of legs than the critically trashed ones," than the studios have zero incentive to make quality films.

The core fanbase will show up regardless in the first week and push the films to success, so the studios will continue pushing out .

And we as comic book fans should demand better. It's not enough to just see our favorite characters on the big screen -- something unthinkable outside of only the most popular superheroes even just 10 years ago -- we should demand quality storylines and products.

Contrast the care with which Spiderman 2, The Dark Knight and even Blade 2 were put together, vs. the likes of BvS and SS -- sure, those were all sequels rather than initial offerings but to me the differences in quality were palpable.

People like what they like, critics be damned. :grin:

I can't believe that many people honestly preferred Suicide Squad to Civil War.

And, judging by box office dollars, they demonstrably didn't, but Mendelson's comparing budget-to-revenue proportionality here, not number of tickets sold.

Suicide Squad was definitely not a great movie like what you mentioned (though I disagree on Blade 2 after reading your recommendation - watched it last week, and it did not hold up well in certain scenes). But it sure was entertaining for a lot of folks, which is proving out through word of mouth leading to continued ticket sales. Otherwise, the critics would have killed this film.

I think from what we have seen of Wonder Woman and Justice League's teasers, Warner Bros. is making adjustments to its approach. It's not hard to catch that. So they are listening. Suicide Squad was too far down the path for major adjustments or Geoff Johns rushing in to offer his comic book-inspired leadership.

But I wouldn't jump off the deep end on this. One of the many benefits this new DCEU is bringing is not only interest in the associated characters, but also merchandising demand. And hold on to your Ike Perlmutter 'female figures don't sell' fan button. We are even getting action figures like Wonder Woman, Batgirl, Supergirl and Harley Quinn.

hrvgioA.jpg

Warner Bros. definitely wants to grow that $6B licensing value it has currently. The last thing it wants to do is put out more movies leading to a lack of interest in these characters which then leads to no further merchandising growth.

Blade 2 is great, it's let down in the scenes where they used CGI instead of wire-work, noticeably in the encounter between Blade and the two agents at Blade's base, even when I saw it upon release it looked dodgy.

Blade 2 is great, it's let down in the scenes where they used CGI instead of wire-work, noticeably in the encounter between Blade and the two agents at Blade's base, even when I saw it upon release it looked dodgy.

For me, Blade really held up the best. Blade 2 was very entertaining. But you are so right - the CGI was just too immature at that stage.

But I wasn't as blown away with it as with Spider-Man 2 or The Dark Knight or even Blade. But it was entertaining. Maybe I'll give it another go.

Maybe it was an execution vs. expectation thing, but Blade 2 was so much better than it had any right to be it's ridiculous. It nearly expands beyond mere vampires into classic horror movie territory.

For his first big budget ($50 million) film, Guillermo del Toro just kills it.

The screenplay got Goyer the gig writing Batman Begins.

And you've got great supporting turns from Ron Perlman and a pre-Walking Dead Norman Reedus.

Blade 2 is what's possible when you make a B movie of a C-list comic character with grade A talent.

Oddly enough, just rewatched Blade 2 last weekend on Netflix after not having seen it for years. Yeah, the CGI was bad by today's standards, but I keep in mind the era in which a movie was made when judging the special effects. This one gets a pass. The wire work and choreography was pretty good. Overall, a very enjoyable film. It's funny to think how much the superhero movie landscape has changed in the last 15 years.

Maybe it was an execution vs. expectation thing, but Blade 2 was so much better than it had any right to be it's ridiculous. It nearly expands beyond mere vampires into classic horror movie territory.

For his first big budget ($50 million) film, Guillermo del Toro just kills it.

The screenplay got Goyer the gig writing Batman Begins.

And you've got great supporting turns from Ron Perlman and a pre-Walking Dead Norman Reedus.

Blade 2 is what's possible when you make a B movie of a C-list comic character with grade A talent.

(thumbs u

I can't believe that many people honestly preferred Suicide Squad to Civil War.

And, judging by box office dollars, they demonstrably didn't, but Mendelson's comparing budget-to-revenue proportionality here, not number of tickets sold.

A lot of people I know felt that SS and Civil War were similar. I know that every Marvel fanboy here on the boards thought Civil War was an amazing movie, but it wasn't that great. I liked SS and GotG better for the same reason - it something different from the standard MCU fare.

Like I have said here all along, SS appeals to a different demographic and that is why it is doing well. Even my daughter's friends that have not seen the movie (their parents think it is too scary/adult oriented for their kids) are buying the merchandise because it is cool. SS has the right amount of rebellious and irreverent tone to appeal to the 12 - 30 demographic, which is what is driving the film. BvS was not well received and had too many issues to be a leggier film, and Civil War is aimed at the very young (4 - 11) and their parents (30+) like the other MCU and Disney formula movies are (which is a larger cohort of potential viewers).

I also think we are seeing Marvel formula fatigue. The fact that Civil War/Avengers 3 could not do better at the box office, with Spider-Man included, than a very bad AoU may be an indication of this. I hope that Infinity War can correct this as the last three Avengers related movies (AoU, Ant-Man and Civil War) have not been as strong as The Avengers or Winter Soldier - maybe that was the peak for Marvel?